I’m Having Pop Up Issues Only On This Site

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
idk what it is exactly but I’m having “amazon user free phone” pop ups happen on this site. It’s only this site I’m pretty sure, I haven’t noticed it anywhere else. I’m on an iPhone on safari usually. And it pops up whenever I’m in the middle of reading a thread then it will make me close completely out of the site which is a little irritating. It will also pop back up if I manage to go back fast enough to get out of it. So it’s not really possible to get out of it for good. I don’t think it’s my phone but perhaps it is. I was told iPhones can’t get viruses and I don’t wrecklessly download random stuff so idk. Just wondering if I’m alone.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Phew! I’m so relieved I’m not the only one who has been having this issue! In fact, I’ve been meaning to start a thread asking about this, but just never got around to it. I was worried that my phone had been hacked or something. :eek:

I’m also using an iPhone, on safari, and the pop up message I’ve been getting is exactly the same. It’s gotten quite annoying, and usually happens when I’m browsing the forums or writing a post.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! I’m so relieved I’m not the only one who has been having this issue! In fact, I’ve been meaning to start a thread asking about this, but just never got around to it. I was worried that my phone had been hacked or something. :eek:

I’m also using an iPhone, on safari, and the pop up message I’ve been getting is exactly the same. It’s gotten quite annoying, and usually happens when I’m browsing the forums or writing a post.
If you hit 'flag' on your post you can leave a message to alert a staff member to the problem you two are having.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for the reports! This is actually a problem with Chrome browsers all across the internet these days. Spammers found a way to take over ad code on Chrome and hijack it with these obnoxious pop-ups.

We're working on fixing the issue from our side by adding blocking codes but it's a game of Whac-A-Mole at this point because you have to deal with each individual ad separately. We do need your reports for that, so please keep posting them here as you see them.

The real solution will have to come from Google Chrome and everyone is waiting for that. Chrome 64 will solve this by default.

But there's some good news for those who are technically inclined. The ability to solve the issue is already built into the current version of Chrome only it's labeled as experimental so you have to know where to find it and enable it.

Proceed at your own risk, please. From everything that I've read this is safe but it's for advanced users and in beta. It's up to you whether or not to use it. It is official and by Google, just in beta, I used it on my Chrome with no ill effects.

1. Type the following into your browser:
Code:
chrome://flags/
2. Scroll down to where it says Framebusting requires same-origin or a user gesture

3. Switch that from Default to Enabled.

4. Restart your browser when asked.

This should affect both your desktop and mobile version of Chrome and take care of the problem.

Again, I'm sorry about the inconvenience. Just because you happen to see it on TCS doesn't mean it's coming from us. It's a problem across the web right now. You can read more about it here and here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t use google chrome though? I use safari an apple developed browser.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm having the same issues on my Ipad and Iphone and yes it's making me crazy. It's definitely not just on TCS though. My husband and I both have been getting it on multiple sites. A few things I've read so far is to try to keep your IOS updated and to clear your browser cache.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Google Chromebooks almost exclusively and we haven't had any problems of this sort yet. (knock on wood)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Same- I’ve never used google chrome- only Safari. Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like when I get redirected:
719EA688-ACC5-44CC-B259-0A3914078EB8.png

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It did it to me when I opened this thread haha. And right in the middle of writing this post

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm not aware of any fix for Safari at this point, sorry :(

Just to reiterate -
1. These ads are browser hijacks and not something we agree to have here ron TCS.
2. This is a problem across the internet these days, not unique to TCS.
3. There are several ways for fighting against these ads -
  • Chrome is working on a fix (not sure about Safari, sorry) and it's available now in beta version (as I described in previous posts)
  • Google is working on weeding out these campaigns from their ads systems (industry standard and used here as well).
  • TCS is working on blocking these using a script on our end but each ad needs to be blocked separately.
We're playing whack-a-mole with these ads at this point. Whenever you report an ad, we try to track it down and kill it :smash: and that helps until the next one comes along. So please keep reporting them and tell us the exact time you had them (date + morning/afternoon and your country should be enough).

Thank you for your patience! I really hope this spam attack will be stopped soon.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I haven’t had any issues with pop ups on TCS today! :jive:

Thanks for your work on this, Anne!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Shhhhhhh. Don’t jinx it. Lol. Me either. They are testing something out according to Anne.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Glad to hear it! We did roll out some new code yesterday in an attempt to block the ads so hopefully this is working :crossfingers:

If you're getting more of them though, please do report! Thank you!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wasn’t having issues for a minute there but this pop up is back today with a vengeance.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since the first fix, I haven’t been redirected until now. Here’s what it looks like:
178A4318-6A68-4045-A31A-B9E0ADB8C7FA.png

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for the added screenshot! I hope we can block these real soon. :smash: