I'm Grieving And My Cat Is Grieving

Bossygirl420

Tuxedo
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very sad my cat lost one of her kittens on the 20th of this month and lost the other kitten just last night. I feel like I'm the blame for the kitten not living cause I did not get condensed milk in time. I knew that the mother was not producing enough milk to feed the kitten.
I feel lost inside like there was jut something that I could do to help save this lil kitten.
Can someone please give me advise on what do.

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Stop blaming yourself, although its natural to do so. Many who have lost their cats feel guilty and wonder "what if". But its seldom the reason our cat buddies leave us. Grieve, cry and start to heal. Eat well and try to rest. It will get better in time

2) Look after your other cat (s). The mother cat needs some support. Perhaps get her some treats, spend time playing with her and doing activities that she likes. Make sure she is healthy and not showing unusual behaviour. If either of these things are happening, there is a wealth of good info and support on this forum.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Babies, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

First, you must forgive yourself. I know, I just know that you did not sit and think, "I'll just let this kitten starve." NO, you did not. And if you did not, forgive yourself. Mourn the loss, but don't add guilt as a bitter spice to that mourning. Accept that you did the best you could in the moment, and that's all we can require of ourselves. Sometimes, sadly, our best is not enough.

Be with your cat. Give her lots of love. In nature, cats lose kittens all the time. They mourn for them for a bit, then get on with the business of living. Until that moment comes, just...love her. NEITHER of you bears blame here.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did everything you could for the little one, I know because I was on your former thread. I am so very sorry for your loss.

From what it sounds like the mother had complications with this pregnancy. The baby probably was not fully developed. I have experienced such losses with kittens and it is heartbreaking.

Last edited:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only thing you can do for your mother cat and her remaining kittens is to love them, and support them and to not blame yourself. As mentioned above, you didnt purposly starve them and it is not anyones fault. It isnt the mothers fault that she couldnt produce milk, she didnt purposly stopped producing milk, and it isnt your fault that you couldnt make the milk in time to save the kittens. Life is very unpredictable and scenarios changes by the micro seconds, no one can predict anyone dieing and no one can predict genetics. I understand you feel sad, devasated for the kittens death and that is showing that you are a loving and caring human being, as much as it is hard with this emotions your are feeling for the loss there is still life exisiting around you that needs you. All the best to you and your mother cat and her kittens they are lucky to have you looking after them and you are lucky to have them with you. Just know that the people on this forum understands you as the majority of us have been where you are or experienced a similar situation of unexpect loss. We are here for you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is perfectly natural to grieve, and to blame yourself. Everyone has regret and all those should have, could have thoughts, it is a part of grieving. Mama will take about two weeks before she stops missing and looking for her little ones, your heart will heal in time. You never forget, you learn to live with it. It sounds like there is a possibility that the little ones were premature. Sometimes no matter how much we want something, it is not to be.....
Hold your girl and grieve together. Give her extra attention now and give yourself time to try to deal with all this. Guilt takes intention to do harm to another. You had no intent to harm those little ones, you did what you could at the time. It was no one's fault, it happened and most likely would have under any conditions.
My heart goes out to you. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. You are not alone, we will grieve with you for the loss of two innocents. Take care of yourself and that sweet mama,........RIP sweet babies. You will never be forgotten, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some Ignatia Amara for the intense grief, it is a homeopathic remedy that you put under your tongue several times a day, it does help with shock and grief. I am sorry that this happened to you all, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are not an experienced vet, you did what you could do. The mother cat will mourn the kittens that she has lost as it is the motherly instinct.

The kittens will need to be bottle fed with milk replacer every 2-3 hours (including overnight) and kept warm and dry. 1 – 4 weeks old: will need to be bottle-fed kittenformula. 5 weeks and older: can be offered canned foodfor KITTENS ONLY but they may still need to be bottle-fed. If you are unable to look after the kittens every two hours, maybe you can find a cat shelter or vet to help assist you to help them.

Recipes For Homemade Kitten Formula • Kitten Rescue
Recipes For Homemade Kitten Formula
Posted at 04:09h in Cat Care by KR
The pet store is closed, and you have hungry kittens that need formula. Never fear! Here are some kitten formula recipes you can make using ingredients available at most grocery stores.

It is not unusual for kittens to have some difficulties digesting cow’s milk based formulas. The first formula on our list, which is based on goat’s milk, may be used instead of store-bought milk replacement formulas (such as KMR, Breeders’ Edge or Just Born) up until weaning. We do not recommend using the other formulas for long-term bottle feeding, but they can be useful should you need to feed your kittens and can’t find the ingredients for the homemade goat’s milk formula.

The Cornell Book of Cats says that human baby formula can be used if made up to double the normal strength, although human baby formula is normally not nutritious enough for kittens.

HOMEMADE FORMULA #1
1 quart whole goat’s milk
1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt (goat’s milk preferred)
1 egg yolk
Knox unflavored gelatin:

• Newborn to 1 week — 1 pkg of Knox
  • 2nd week — 1 1/2 – 2 pkgs of Knox
  • 3rd week — 2 1/2 – 3 pkgs of Knox
  • 4th week — 4 pkgs of Knox
Put goat’s milk in saucepan, add gelatin in the amount above depending on the kitten’s age. Heat goat’s milk/gelatin mixture just until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Mix in remaining ingredients and refrigerate. It will keep up to one week. Heat until the formula is nearly warm, check the temperature, then test a few drops of milk on your wrist first. It should feel just a little warm or even cool, not too warm or hot. It is not recommended to use a microwave. Once it passes the skin temperature test, you are ready to feed kittens.

HOMEMADE FORMULA #2 (FOR EMERGENCIES)
8 ounces homogenized whole milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins (optional)

Mix well and warm before using. Keep refrigerated.

EMERGENCY FORMULA #3 (FOR EMERGENCIES)
1 part boiled water to 5 parts evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon bone meal per 16 oz fluid

Mix well and warm before using. Keep refrigerated.

EMERGENCY FORMULA #4 (FOR EMERGENCIES)
1 can evaporated milk
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons Karo syrup
1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins (optional)