I'm going to be a foster mommy to feral kittens!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I am so so excited! I always wanted to help out a shelter but I don't have the money to donate or the time to work volunteer shifts- I applied for fostering and I just got an email this morning!! They have a litter (don't know how many kittens yet) that will need a foster home next week, she will be taking a feral mom and kittens.. they are 6 weeks old. She said ill have them roughly 4 weeks while they are fixed and vaccinated. I has asked previously about worming and fleas etc and they said they come home with meds for that. In response to the email from her today I asked what is needed of me other than socializing food water litter.. you know, the obvious.

I have raised my own two kittens plus their sister from 8 weeks to three months and loved it. It was a ton of work but the most rewarding thing I have ever done. So I am looking forward to this too. I am however wondering what to expect as mine came from a barn and these are feral, plus 2 weeks younger. Also what precautions should I make for my two cats?

I have extra bowls, a auto feeder and auto waterer and a litter box plus blankets and a spare room.. what else do I need and how many boxes per kittens? Any and all advice would be grand! I am simply so so excited to finally be helping out. :D 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I'm sure someone with foster experience will be along soon to help with your questions.

Good luck with the new babies

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will need their own room with as little furniture in it as possible (they will gravitate towards hiding places, so you must be able to get to them).  They will need accessible hiding places, though, so boxes or totes on their sides are good.  A carrier will work, too, if you tie the door open.  If you can't remove the furniture, move it away from the wall.  Stand the mattress and box spring up so they can't scoot under the bed.

A cat tree is good, too, although it should be clean and not smelling like your cats, if possible.

Vacuum the room thoroughly, especially if your cats have been in it.  They may have germs the new kittens haven't met yet.  Not necessarily germs that made them sick, but we all have our own bacteria.

Two litter boxes should be enough, depending on how many kittens there are.  You may also want to get one of those trays, flat, long and wide, to put under the food dishes and waterer.  Kittens can be very messy and that will save you a lot of cleaning up.

Plan to spend some time in the room, especially at first, just doing your regular routine.  It is going to take them at least a few days to get used to the new sights and smells and they will be very timid at first.  Sit quietly and read out loud to them.  Always move slowly and deliberately and be calm.  They will take their cues from you.

You may also want to invest in a baby gate.  Put it outside the door, so that when you open the door, there's a barrier there you can step over.  After they get bolder, they will rush the gate to get out.  You won't be able to catch them if you don't have that barrier up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the support! I will be able to move a lot out of there and do as recommended. I won't be able to get them a tree but I have a post I can wash my cats smell off for them. The tray is a good idea too and o have a book I want to read so I can totallu read out to them. I have a gate I can put up. What about health? Any risk to me or my cats even if the kittens are kept in the room?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 What about health? Any risk to me or my cats even if the kittens are kept in the room?
No direct risks to you.  dont provoce the mom too hard, of  course.  But they are seldom aggressive once they had "landed",  and understands nobody is mean to them at your place.  Besides, the most aggressive are never taken in for socializing, and never ever send to a new be.

She may hiss a little, but it is more for the sake, not as an actual threat.

The moms usually do understand the fosterer is their children best practical chance, and cooperate as they can, so it is seldom a real problem, even with feral moms.

How strickt  quarantine to your residents is always a question. Which calculated risk to take?

Your cats are born as barn cats yes?  Are they up to date on shots, and used to roam outside?

If so, you dont need to overdo it,If

If not, better to be safe than sorry.

If safety bothers you, change clothes and shoes, wash off your hands before entering their room and most important, leaving it...    If you do so, you are really safe.    :)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to hope the kittens have been tested for FELV .  That might cause some worries.  If they haven't been tested or you are concerned about your cats, wear paper booties when you go into their room.  Leave them at the door when you come out and ALWAYS wash your hands after you come out.  I forgot to mention that, sorry!

Unless the kittens are sick (ask the rescue if they have diarrhea or goopy eyes).  If so, you'll just have to be a little extra careful about washing up when you leave their room.  Maybe keep some baby wipes by the door.  They clean but won't irritate your skin.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what to expect as mine came from a barn and these are feral, plus 2 weeks younger. Also what precautions should I make for my two cats?
Barn cats are usually more or less shy, you can even say they are often semi-ferale.

So the difference as such wont be too great.

Them new being younger will make it easier for you.

BUT.  The magical  zone when ferale kittens are easy to foster and socialize is at 8 weeks. So your time is running.  Let them land  the first 2 days, and begin your work, so the precious time dont flows away down the drain.

Begin with the bravest of them, let the bravest one be your ambassadeur.

A useful trick  which Catwoman707 learned us, is, to wrap in such a kitten in a soft towel, all paws up to the neck, like a burrito.  And carry this kitten (or even older cat) at your chest, talking friendly, making crooning noises, singing softly...  Half an hour, perhaps even an hour.

A couple three of such sessions and it is done.

Another tip by our forumite Spiff is to brush them with a tooth brush, in small steps, like a cat mother tongue.  Especially efficient on orphans who dont have a real mom nearby, but still, an useful trick...

Good luck!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My guys were barn cats locked in a stall that the mom only could jump out of. I got them at eight weeks and they have been indoor only and utd on indoor cat shots..I can't remember the name but the reg one all vacinated cats get and rabies. They are also on revolution. How can I be sure to not bring a flea infestation into the house? They said they come home with flea and worming stuff and that they will be vacinated and fixed in my care before being rehomed so I'd assume they woukd get all needed tests but I can ask too. I just don't want to sound unhelpful like I thinks kittens are dirty or anything because I really want to foster lol.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nay nay, all these questions about security are necessary and wise.

The usual remedy is to have them in their own room, a quarantine, till you are sure the dewormers and defleasers has work.  ALL normal rescuers do so.

So even if they give them a dose before they bring them home to you, you should have them for themselves at least a tenday more, till they got another dose.

Unless your place IS very easy to clean, and your residents are outside going / themselvers ex rescuers, where you can take it more easy. 

Some such rescuers dont bother much, and mix them together almost at once.

But most do take precautions.  By asking and safeguarding you just show you arent naive.

Good luck!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A feliway diffuser is helpful to calm the kittens.  Also socializing works really well with Gerber Stage 1 chicken or turkey baby food.  Cats and kittens just love it.  There are some great Youtube videos on socializing feral kittens using baby food.  I found a series of 3 that really helped me when I socialized my feral.  Remember patience is your friend.  I also think with ferals, it's one step forward and 2 steps back.  Yet eventually you get ahead!!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never had fleas or ticks on my guys so if the kittens have fleas on them while the first dose is working to fix it what can I do? I have read horror stories about the spread and infestations of them. I am a little phobic of bugs myself lol. Other than that I feel much more knolegeable given all the info provided and I feel like thequarentine will keep my guys pretty safe. The door has a decent gap under it though...not kitten sized but certainly paw sized.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A feliway diffuser is helpful to calm the kittens.  Also socializing works really well with Gerber Stage 1 chicken or turkey baby food.  Cats and kittens just love it.  There are some great Youtube videos on socializing feral kittens using baby food.  I found a series of 3 that really helped me when I socialized my feral.  Remember patience is your friend.  I also think with ferals, it's one step forward and 2 steps back.  Yet eventually you get ahead!!

I will check out videos on that. I don't think I have that food brand here but I can check for other pure baby foods that are meat only. This part and the medical part are the things I am not sure about so this info is great for me!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sure you can find a baby food that is total puree that is chicken or turkey based.  If not, you can buy cream of chicken soup, puree it in a blender with a bit of chicken broth or water till very smooth.  Cats really like this too.  Just puree it all so there are no pieces of meat and it can be lapped up.  Here is a link to a thread where the videos are posted.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/261001/two-in-the-box-ready-to-go

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beechnut baby food is just pureed meat and water. Whatever you use be sure to avoid garlic and onions. And post lots of pictures of your new babies

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never had fleas or ticks on my guys so if the kittens have fleas on them while the first dose is working to fix it what can I do?
There is a preparate, Capstar.  Kills off the adult fleas instantly. Harmless for adult cats, and I suspect for kittens this big too (dont remember at this moment).

It is not often used because you must also use a more common preparate to kill off the eggs and larvaes.

But if you want to have a cat flea free in a hurry, use Capstar. They die off in one hour.  (if the cat goes nuts,, it is not because he feels bad, but because the these dying fleas are in convulsions).

Otherwise you can have them somewhere where it is easy to clean, a bathroom is common. Or a dog cage in your cellar.  Or even, let them be in the carrier if absolutely necessary...

The dangers are after all not that big, if you are decently aware and prepared. People do manage, after all.

Its essentially these not aware or not prepared who now and then got caught.

Good luck!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will deff post lotss of pix lol. I just bought a book to read them too...hope rhey like vampires! Lmao

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I just got word- She wants me to have a different litter that she picked up today. They are sitting over night with flea stuff on them over night and I am to get them tomorrow! Should I be feeding a kitten food(I did with mine but have heard its not much different?) or is natures variety instinct okay?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 Should I be feeding a kitten food(I did with mine but have heard its not much different?) or is natures variety instinct okay?
As I understand, Natures Variety Instinct is better than most kitten brands. 

I suspect it has no taurine added, but with that high animal protein content addition is not necessary.

While in standard kibble taurine must be added in kitten food, as the animal protein content is rather low.

Also the fat content is fully adequate here.

So you can use whichever you wish and have.   :)

How old are the new ones?  What is their background?

Good luck!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Waiting to hear that information as I asked via email. I know less then 8 weeks because she said she is giving me a wormer to use when they are 8 weeks.. thanks for the food information I will use what I have :)