I’m Getting Tired Of My Kitty

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there I wrote a thread about Lilly
My kitty 3 years old he was sneeze with fever, antibiotic doesn't help him he was in the clinic 2 weeks the vet didn't figure out what happen to him so I change the vet to the best pet in my country it was hard to get an appointment and to enter that vet
He doesn't have emergency line so it was tired anyway so he was eating well even at the old vet so he took him another week and did a couple of tests and we find out he has herpes and second bacteria so he gives me some medicine for two weeks first 5 days he was normal and better than before he was purring and follow me everywhere and playing! And his appetite was amazing! Then after the 5 days, he throws up his food two times then I change the food to chicken and rice he throw up again but this time hairball with some rice so I only cook some chicken and he was fine but still not normal so I continue to give him the medicine with lysine he stop sneeze and eating well but he doesn't act normal so after I finish the medicine he start sneeze again but little one of his eye are pinky red and he's appetite is change a lot he only eat twice or ones I want to note that I bought some grain free dry and wet and try to mixing it or give him directly but he dosn't eat it! ;( I don't know if that why he's appetite change? And he's eye never better I call the vet I have an appointment on Sunday he said he will be fine until then but I want him to eat I cook chicken he doesn't want it! I give him dry also but the same problem what should I do? I know lysine help sneeze and red eye but how can I give him if he doesn't want to eat??!! And I don't know how to deal with herpes I'm super worried I can't sleep thinking about him he sometimes have diarrhea too watery diarrhea I'm very tired my mind is going to explode

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Herpes is a chronic condition; your kitten will have it for the rest of his life. I'm not certain; did the vet tell you that the herpes was causing the eye problems? I think you need to read this article: Ocular (eye) Herpes In Cats If your kitten has ocular (eye) herpes he needs eye drops or ointment, and your vet should have prescribed those; you need to ask why he didn't. Also, it isn't too late for your kitten to have the herpes vaccination. I have herpes in my body because I had chicken pox as a child, but I still got the shingles vaccination (shingles is caused by herpes) because it gives my body an extra ability to fight the virus. So getting the vaccination won't make your kitten's herpes go away, but it should give him some extra defense against it.

As for eating, probably your kitten isn't feeling very good so he isn't hungry, but you're right to be concerned. Can you grind his food up very fine and add a bit of water to it? You might be able to syringe feed him, if syringes are available. It's a plastic syringe that looks a lot like a hypodermic needle (for shots), but without the needle part. In the United States we can find them in any pharmacy; they're used sometimes for giving liquid medicine to babies. If you can't find one that easily where you live any vet should be able to get one for you. To syringe feed you draw a bit of watery food up into the syringe, then put the point in the kitten's mouth, in between his cheek and his gums, and push on the plunger just enough to put a little bit of food in his mouth. Then you wait for him to swallow before giving him more.

I don't know where you live, but it seems that English isn't your first language, so if you have trouble understanding any of this please say so and I'll try to make it simpler for you.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No no thanks i really understand yes he told me about the eye problem and yes its not my first languge i hope you understand my words i try to worm the chicken it didnt help I understand that herpes is going to be in him's body forever and I don't have a problem with that but I don't know how to control it he's better than before but still not lily I remember I will try feeding him until the appointment but I'm also moving in the next month to another city which is most stressful thing for the cat and I'm worried he can't get better before I move :""(

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you some antibiotic ointment for your cat's eye ?
You can ask your vet for a syringe of Lysine. Or you can learn to pill your cat.
If your cat won't eat a commercial dry you can find a wet food made for cats to make sure Lily is getting all of the nutrients needed to help maintain health Of ask some questions on the raw foods threads so you understand what to add to the chicken and rice to make the diet sufficient so your Lily can fight the herpes.
Don't use just any antibiotic for the eyes ask your vet for one specific that is safe for cats.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
No no thanks i really understand yes he told me about the eye problem and yes its not my first languge i hope you understand my words i try to worm the chicken it didnt help I understand that herpes is going to be in him's body forever and I don't have a problem with that but I don't know how to control it he's better than before but still not lily I remember I will try feeding him until the appointment but I'm also moving in the next month to another city which is most stressful thing for the cat and I'm worried he can't get better before I move :""(

You may need to find a food your kitty likes. They can get finicky and not like the expensive better quality foods. What about canned friskeys foods? If your kitty has an outbreak of herpes-it may interfere with sense of smell. You will need to feed wet stinky food so he smells it. If a cat can't smell-they won't eat-which seems crazy to me but that's how they are.

you can try:
dark meat tuna-light tuna they call it-you can try while albacore but it doesn't have the fishy stink like the dark tuna does.

Chicken-cooked or raw. If raw make sure to supplement with some cat food so he gets required nutrients
Scrambled eggs
Goats milk-raw is fine=no cow milk.
if you can find it- KMR kitten milk replacement in a can or a powder you mix with water.
Pork/beef/rabbit/duck cooked if he will eat it.
Meat babyfood like sold from Gerbers/beechnut or other manufacturer-make sure no onions/garlic.

You can try kitten kibble too-that has more calories than regular adult food=may be enough to get your baby enough to eat until the episode calms down.

I would continue lysine. I buy mine on Amazon by the company NOW! it comes in a 1lb jug that lasts me a year. only need 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon daily=it mixes better in hot water, I use a shot glass with hot water-add powder, stir till dissolve=add to canned food or other wet type food. mash with fork to make a paste like consistency.

Also when eating gets interupted sometimes they get constipation, plain canned pumpkin-not pie fiiling- 1/2 teaspoon or more a day helps with this-my girl licks it off my finger-after I add water and mash like a pudding, my other cat hates it-I use a fingerful and smear on roof of mouth-she is mad for a few minutes-but to keep them regular we do what we need to.

sorry so long-just trying to give you ideas to get your kitty eating again.

It's not unusual to feed them a few things then the next day they turn their nosies up at it the little twerps.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Pets are just like children when they are sick. It sounds like he needs a different antibiotic. Sometimes their body develops a resistance to the medicine and they throw up and get diarrhea. So if the medicine is metriodazanole, your vet can switch it to Biomoxx or Clavamox, etc. The vet can also give you advice for anti-diarrhea medicine. The secondary infection will need antibiotic for the full two weeks. And I agree with Margret, giving the vaccines seems to help alot! All my former ferals were born sick and I get them vaccinated when they get Spayed/neutered and once they are adults, they are mostly symptom-free. When the weather is below zero, I add the L-lysine to their food for 2 weeks on, 5-7 days off. It does get better more often than not.
Prayers and vibes that Lilly feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
P.S. - you do a good job writing in english. It is a difficult language. Lilly is lucky to have a smart, loving owner:petcat:

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you some antibiotic ointment for your cat's eye ?
You can ask your vet for a syringe of Lysine. Or you can learn to pill your cat.
If your cat won't eat a commercial dry you can find a wet food made for cats to make sure Lily is getting all of the nutrients needed to help maintain health Of ask some questions on the raw foods threads so you understand what to add to the chicken and rice to make the diet sufficient so your Lily can fight the herpes.
Don't use just any antibiotic for the eyes ask your vet for one specific that is safe for cats.
My appointment on Sunday I will ask him about that for sure
I tried wet to dry I don't know what happen to him he was just fine eating fine
You may need to find a food your kitty likes. They can get finicky and not like the expensive better quality foods. What about canned friskeys foods? If your kitty has an outbreak of herpes-it may interfere with sense of smell. You will need to feed wet stinky food so he smells it. If a cat can't smell-they won't eat-which seems crazy to me but that's how they are.

you can try:
dark meat tuna-light tuna they call it-you can try while albacore but it doesn't have the fishy stink like the dark tuna does.

Chicken-cooked or raw. If raw make sure to supplement with some cat food so he gets required nutrients
Scrambled eggs
Goats milk-raw is fine=no cow milk.
if you can find it- KMR kitten milk replacement in a can or a powder you mix with water.
Pork/beef/rabbit/duck cooked if he will eat it.
Meat babyfood like sold from Gerbers/beechnut or other manufacturer-make sure no onions/garlic.

You can try kitten kibble too-that has more calories than regular adult food=may be enough to get your baby enough to eat until the episode calms down.

I would continue lysine. I buy mine on Amazon by the company NOW! it comes in a 1lb jug that lasts me a year. only need 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon daily=it mixes better in hot water, I use a shot glass with hot water-add powder, stir till dissolve=add to canned food or other wet type food. mash with fork to make a paste like consistency.

Also when eating gets interupted sometimes they get constipation, plain canned pumpkin-not pie fiiling- 1/2 teaspoon or more a day helps with this-my girl licks it off my finger-after I add water and mash like a pudding, my other cat hates it-I use a fingerful and smear on roof of mouth-she is mad for a few minutes-but to keep them regular we do what we need to.

sorry so long-just trying to give you ideas to get your kitty eating again.

It's not unusual to feed them a few things then the next day they turn their nosies up at it the little twerps.
he loves food called life cat I try to give him but he didn't ate it he was eating in the past even when he can't breathe from his nose so I don't think the problem is he can't smell it I don't know why he doesn't want to eat I can't wait to go on Sunday I'm sick and tired of this I been having problem with lily the whole January and half of December from vet to vet i'm giving up $

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:alright: Pets are just like children when they are sick. It sounds like he needs a different antibiotic. Sometimes their body develops a resistance to the medicine and they throw up and get diarrhea. So if the medicine is metriodazanole, your vet can switch it to Biomoxx or Clavamox, etc. The vet can also give you advice for anti-diarrhea medicine. The secondary infection will need antibiotic for the full two weeks. And I agree with Margret, giving the vaccines seems to help alot! All my former ferals were born sick and I get them vaccinated when they get Spayed/neutered and once they are adults, they are mostly symptom-free. When the weather is below zero, I add the L-lysine to their food for 2 weeks on, 5-7 days off. It does get better more often than not.
Prayers and vibes that Lilly feels better soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
P.S. - you do a good job writing in english. It is a difficult language. Lilly is lucky to have a smart, loving owner:petcat:
Oow thank you for the kind words he did give him one called doxycyclin it works fine with famciclovir he was fine and his problem only with diarrhea the fever gone my first problem was the fever I was so afraid that he has FIP but thank god but also he stop eating so uuh I never getting out from this problem

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My appointment on Sunday I will ask him about that for sure
I tried wet to dry I don't know what happen to him he was just fine eating fine

he loves food called life cat I try to give him but he didn't ate it he was eating in the past even when he can't breathe from his nose so I don't think the problem is he can't smell it I don't know why he doesn't want to eat I can't wait to go on Sunday I'm sick and tired of this I been having problem with lily the whole January and half of December from vet to vet i'm giving up $
I know it's frustrating. Sometimes just tackling one issue at a time like getting some eye ointment. Your vet can give your cat short term appetite stimulant to help Lily get over the hump perhaps and feel like eating on his own. Yes pets cost lots of $$$ even when they're healthy.

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's frustrating. Sometimes just tackling one issue at a time like getting some eye ointment. Your vet can give your cat short term appetite stimulant to help Lily get over the hump perhaps and feel like eating on his own. Yes pets cost lots of $$$ even when they're healthy.
I know i'm happy spending my money for him to be happy and healthy I wish he can understand that

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:catrub: Trust me, he knows that you love him! I am sorry that he has been so sick. Unless the mother cat had vaccinations, if the kittens are living in the streets, over 70% of them will die before they reach 1 year of age. Lilly is very blessed to be in your care:rock::thanks:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know i'm happy spending my money for him to be happy and healthy I wish he can understand that
What he doesn't understand is money. What he does understand is love, and that you love him and are doing your best for him. Never doubt that. Even when we do something "nasty" (from a cat's viewpoint), like forcing pills down their throats or taking them to the vet, cats still know how much you love them.

I think that maybe the eye ointment will make him feel enough better to get his appetite back. At least, I hope so. For now, your best bet may be the KMR or, if you can't get that, goat's milk, as foxxycat foxxycat mentioned. You can soak the corner of a cloth or blanket and let him suckle on that, or buy some of those wedge shaped (triangular) cosmetic sponges that you can wrap in thin cloth and let him suck from, so you don't have to find something unusual, like a syringe. He's still very close to being a baby, so warm milk and being able to suck like that is "comfort food" for him, and sometimes comfort food is easier to get down when we're sick. The closest human experience to sucking milk I can think of is Mom wrapping a child in a warm blanket and holding him while rocking him and singing a lullaby. Unfortunately, you can't purr a lullaby for him, but you could try singing one. He might like it. And you can find YouTube videos of purring cats; that might help. (I know, this is not standard care, but it might help and can't hurt.)

Margret

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What he doesn't understand is money. What he does understand is love, and that you love him and are doing your best for him. Never doubt that. Even when we do something "nasty" (from a cat's viewpoint), like forcing pills down their throats or taking them to the vet, cats still know how much you love them.

I think that maybe the eye ointment will make him feel enough better to get his appetite back. At least, I hope so. For now, your best bet may be the KMR or, if you can't get that, goat's milk, as foxxycat foxxycat mentioned. You can soak the corner of a cloth or blanket and let him suckle on that, or buy some of those wedge shaped (triangular) cosmetic sponges that you can wrap in thin cloth and let him suck from, so you don't have to find something unusual, like a syringe. He's still very close to being a baby, so warm milk and being able to suck like that is "comfort food" for him, and sometimes comfort food is easier to get down when we're sick. The closest human experience to sucking milk I can think of is Mom wrapping a child in a warm blanket and holding him while rocking him and singing a lullaby. Unfortunately, you can't purr a lullaby for him, but you could try singing one. He might like it. And you can find YouTube videos of purring cats; that might help. (I know, this is not standard care, but it might help and can't hurt.)

Margret
I have 3 syringe no worries I will search for some milk in the supermarket he eat little dry food today I give him Orijen dry food and he eats little bit of chicken from my hand I checked his wight its 4.5 kg look better than before I will try tomorrow give him tuna he's crazy about tuna but I don't like give him tuna

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right that tuna is not the best food for cats, but when a cat is sick and not eating we give them whatever they'll eat. And I think that strong fish smell is the reason most cats like tuna. (Not all, my Jasmine hates it. :crazy:)

Be sure to get goat milk, not cow milk.

Margret

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: You are doing a great job - you know what your boy does and doesn't like, you stay prepared and you are open to suggestions! The KMR/ goat milk is an excellent idea; also, tuna does have nutrition so if he will eat it, it will help keep him gaining weight. I do not give my boy kitties any seafood except for times like this. Right now, keeping his calories up is very important. Thank you for the update!

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is Lily doing today?

Margret
Mm he is in clinc i know its stressfull for him but told you before its hard to enter this clinc so the best choice was to put him there for couple of days they said he has herpes and calicivirus and bordetella the vet said he need more time for the antibiotics another 14 days for the bordetella and he was worring about hes vomit and diarrhea and about drinking more than usual so hes going to do some test agian hope everything is going to be fine btw he ate food agian but someday he stop completely maybe he got stomach upest i dont know i hope hes fine

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, hospitalization is stressful for everyone, but sometimes it's necessary.

What did the vet say about eye ointment?

Margret
Oh yes he saw it lucky me my vet have cat with herpes so he understands what I'm been throw so he said sometimes it goes in his own but sometimes you need some drop he will check everything is fine before I take him home thanks for asking btw

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I know how stressful this is for YOU! Some of my cats have herpes, FIV, etc but as they get older, they stay healthier. The L-lysine works wonders as does vit. E and slippery elm and marshmallow root. The herbs are especially soothing for the mouth sores - perhaps your vet can look it to adding that to his treatment. Prayers and vibes for Lily's healing & encouragement and peace for you :vibes::vibes: