I'm Getting a Hysterectomy!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll agree that it was the bet thing I ever did, too! I too was diagnosed with fibroids in 2003, no symptoms at all, until one day after my period stopped, it started up again full force ( and then some!). I had the most awesome ob-gym, he came to see me before surgery, while I was in recovery, and dropped by twice, one that afternoon and once the next day just to tell me everything that went on while they had me out. Turns out, despit all the sonars and imaging that they did on me did not prepare them for the actuality of what was inside- as he put it "everything else looked great, once they got the uterus peeled off of it"! I had the bikini line cut, the same one they do for a c-section, and the dr had to cut it in three prices to get my uterus out of that hole! I had so much blood tied up in the fibroids that my blood count dropped to one point shy of me needing to be given blood, it never dropped any lower, though. Physically, recovery for me was a snap. Staples came out a week and a half later and I was upand going, aside from fatigue from the anemia and healing, all was well.

Now, I did have one complication, it wasn't physical, it was mental.... I had some form of reaction to the anesthesia, and parts of my memory just aren't there anymore- now, you can remind me of things and I'll remember, but I need just a little help with them. I've recovered a lot from that, but if I'm stressed or frustrated, I have to fight to bring up the words that I want to use. Afterward I found out that some people have that kind of reaction.... Mind you my husband has had multiple surgeries and never a bit of trouble- go figure!

I did keep my ovaries..... Kind of nice, because any time you're crabby you can blame it on PMS, and nobody will be any wiser, lol!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a surgery date yet?

Yeah, unfortunately I have to wait till August 28th. Met with my reg doctor yesterday to start the physical to be cleared for surgery, chest xray thursday and meet with anesthesiologist on the 14th. Iv'e never been under before so little nervous about that. Can't wait to get the surgery, was really upset have to wait so long.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I underwent a hysterectomy for cancer (ironic I know. The oncologist develops cancer! ) I live in Canada so finances were never an issue but I am glad to hear you found a surgeon you like. I have had a multitude of medical issues as a child so I have to admit by comparison, hysterectomy, performed the outmoded way due to complications, was not half as bad as spending Mont by s in an if I and learning to walk agsin. Still, this is your first time so every surgery is not to be taken lightly. Bring someone with you ,ie have an advocate who can ask questions if you do not feel up to it. There will be some time recuperating but if you have a laparoscopic technique, you will be up the next day.Still, be good to yourself. If it hurts,ask for pain meds.Do not worry 're ad f2f fiction. You will not b on strong analgesics long enough.

I agree with the others. Once you adjust to the new body, you will really like it! I do s s physician worry we do too many hysterectomy but. If your obgyn and surgeon suggest it as absolutely necessary and there is severe pain and bleeding fro. the fibroids, you sound like a good candidate for the procedure. Do by lots of rest and give your body time to heal physiologically and psychologically. Do not rush into things.I am convinced in the end you will be happy with the decision.

Good luck. PM me if there is anything I can do to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Again I want to thank everyone's advice and sharing your experience. Even though I wanted to talk about this, it took me months to finally open up, and that was after talking to some people who work in the hospital that shared their experience. It has been 8 years now I have found some very supportive friends for so many different reasons here on TCS.

so thank you TCS and all the members!