I'm Getting a Hysterectomy!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Yes Maia's mom is getting a hysterectomy and I have to say I am pretty excited about it! Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous as all
but if everything goes smoothly, I will be a new woman!

I was diagnosed with fibroids several months ago, I went in because I was having abdominal cramping, severe menorrhagia, and felt a lump above my pubic bone. Turns out that a had almost every other symptom as well, severe back pain, constipation, constant need to urinate....................So I had an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound which showed I have 4 fibroids, 12cm, 8cm, 6cm, and 3cm. This is pretty big, all the doctors and nurses are shocked when they see the tests and look at me since I am an athletic, tall runner, it doesn't  really show. I'm 5'10" and right now weigh 136 lbs. but 5 pounds of that is the fibroids pushing against my spine, bladder, my stomach, even when I exercise I can feel the restriction on my diaphragm, and the constant water retention.

The worst of it all is that I don't have insurance, and I was made very aware of the fact that this made me of little importance. I am a hard working woman who pays my own way, I have never had any medical emergency before and just happen to be in a place in my life where I can't afford an individual policy  right now. The tax dollars I pay for all those covered under medicaid doesn't help me a bit, yet those people who don't even work have health insurance. One woman actually said to me "Well what are you going to do!?" after I told her I was uninsured.

Finally I found a hospital in my area with a financial department where I am receiving some assistance and can set up a payment plan. Best of all  I found a surgeon who is working with me. She is nice, I trust her, and next week I get some test results back to make sure there are no other health issues before we schedule the surgery. Hopefully I will be able to have surgery before my next cycle, menstrual cycles are the worst! Unfortunately I can't have laparoscopic surgery because of the size, so I will be in the hospital for a few days and have they say 6 week recovery but I'm thinking I can do better then that

Don't know if anyone here has gone through anything like this but I would love if your willing to share your experience or have any advice.

I can't wait to feel free of this alien inside me!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
cheylink, I really do understand.

I was in my late thirties when I had mine and it truly was a blessing as, like you, I had so many problems.

I haven't looked back - it really changed my life.

Are you having the full hysterectomy (ovaries as well) ?

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had one small fibroid removed in 1999 and have had no problems since. I didn't even know I had it until we were doing some fertility testing and my doctor thought maybe it would help increase fertility. Nope. I hope you have a safe surgery and fast recovery.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Yes Maia's mom is getting a hysterectomy and I have to say I am pretty excited about it! Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous as all
but if everything goes smoothly, I will be a new woman!

I can't have laparoscopic surgery because of the size, so I will be in the hospital for a few days and have they say 6 week recovery but I'm thinking I can do better then that

Don't know if anyone here has gone through anything like this but I would love if your willing to share your experience or have any advice.

I can't wait to feel free of this alien inside me!
I had a hysterectomy due to uterine cancer back in July 2010.  I can tell you that life is great after a hysterectomy!!!! If I had known how great, I would have had one done years and years ago!  It's so nice to not have to worry about periods, or freaking out over wearing white pants in case your period shows up early.

I never had fibroids, but I did have polycystic ovary, which causes cysts on the ovaries. The cysts cause the ovaries to twist and the pain can be horrendous. Not to mention the hemorrhaging periods.

So far as recovery goes.  If they do a bikini line incision, your post-op time will be so much less painful.  The bikini incisions don't cut through any muscles.  If they do a mid-line incision from navel to pubic bone, they cut through abdominal muscles and the post-op time is so much more painful because of the muscle involvement.

They could not do my surgery vaginally because of my size, so I had a bikini incision. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-up and had an epidural for pain control  for 2 days.For the first 3 or 4 days after the epidural came out, was my worse pain. After that  I had very little pain other than incisional.  And what other pain I had just felt like a deep dull ache. I think I took the morphine for 3 days when I got home and twitched to Tylenol 3 and Alleve.

On the 3rd day they wanted to remove my staples and send me home. I refused to let them remove the staples.  As I said, I'm a large woman and I am also a nurse. I used to work on a gyne ward and I saw so many large women come back with opened surgerical wounds and infections. I insisted that my staples be left in. I was only supposed to keep them in a week and then go and have them removed. But I kept them in for 2 weeks, which was a bit long.  The incision became a bit red in a couple of areas, but I got some antibiotics "just in case".  When they took the staples out, the incision had completely healed and I didn't have any issues with it.

Good luck!!!  I think you will love life without a uterus!  I know I do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheylink, I really do understand.

I was in my late thirties when I had mine and it truly was a blessing as, like you, I had so many problems.

I haven't looked back - it really changed my life.

Are you having the full hysterectomy (ovaries as well) ?
    My ovaries are normal size and not an issue, but I was told that in extreme cases the ovaries may have to be removed as well. My surgeon seems very optimistic that even though I have to have the abdominal surgery because of the size, that I will be able to keep my ovaries. So in my mind awesome
! If everything goes smoothly, not only will I get rid of this large parasite (it really is!), but I will have no more periods, yet still have my hormones, and no early sudden onset menopause!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
    My ovaries are normal size and not an issue, but I was told that in extreme cases the ovaries may have to be removed as well. My surgeon seems very optimistic that even though I have to have the abdominal surgery because of the size, that I will be able to keep my ovaries. So in my mind awesome
! If everything goes smoothly, not only will I get rid of this large parasite (it really is!), but I will have no more periods, yet still have my hormones, and no early sudden onset menopause!
That would be perfect.

I had the lot taken, so it wasn't so easy.

I'm so glad you have such a great attitude about this... I wish I'd thought like you, as it really was such a positive thing, despite the early menopause.

Follow all your post-op instructions really carefully to minimise adhesions..

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a hysterectomy due to uterine cancer back in July 2010.  I can tell you that life is great after a hysterectomy!!!! If I had known how great, I would have had one done years and years ago!  It's so nice to not have to worry about periods, or freaking out over wearing white pants in case your period shows up early.

I never had fibroids, but I did have polycystic ovary, which causes cysts on the ovaries. The cysts cause the ovaries to twist and the pain can be horrendous. Not to mention the hemorrhaging periods.

So far as recovery goes.  If they do a bikini line incision, your post-op time will be so much less painful.  The bikini incisions don't cut through any muscles.  If they do a mid-line incision from navel to pubic bone, they cut through abdominal muscles and the post-op time is so much more painful because of the muscle involvement.

They could not do my surgery vaginally because of my size, so I had a bikini incision. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-up and had an epidural for pain control  for 2 days.For the first 3 or 4 days after the epidural came out, was my worse pain. After that  I had very little pain other than incisional.  And what other pain I had just felt like a deep dull ache. I think I took the morphine for 3 days when I got home and twitched to Tylenol 3 and Alleve.

On the 3rd day they wanted to remove my staples and send me home. I refused to let them remove the staples.  As I said, I'm a large woman and I am also a nurse. I used to work on a gyne ward and I saw so many large women come back with opened surgerical wounds and infections. I insisted that my staples be left in. I was only supposed to keep them in a week and then go and have them removed. But I kept them in for 2 weeks, which was a bit long.  The incision became a bit red in a couple of areas, but I got some antibiotics "just in case".  When they took the staples out, the incision had completely healed and I didn't have any issues with it.

Good luck!!!  I think you will love life without a uterus!  I know I do!
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It took a while for me to realize that this is a good thing, at first I felt like I was going to loose what makes me a woman and was embarrassed to talk about it. I felt like if people around me knew they would look at me differently. But now I know better, and can't wait to feel the relief! I get my results from my cervical biopsy and bloodwork on the 24th, and if thats all clear then schedule the surgery. I know I have to have abdominal surgery and don't see why they couldn't do the bikini incision. Im going to fight for that because the most sensitive part of my body in a bad way is my belly button! Plus I have a tattoo around it (not to sound vain)................

One of my concerns is that i am allergic to Opium base drugs, muscle relaxers seem to work well for me but for some reason doctors always want to prescribe things like Naproxen which does absolutely nothing for me. I have been told that I will be hospitalized for atleast 3 days, and I want cable, some drugs that don't make me sick, flowers, and some friends better bring me some descent food!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be perfect.

I had the lot taken, so it wasn't so easy.

I'm so glad you have such a great attitude about this... I wish I'd thought like you, as it really was such a positive thing, despite the early menopause.

Follow all your post-op instructions really carefully to minimise adhesions..
  Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I know how you must have felt, it is still very possible that this may happen to me as well. I am also still waiting for biopsy results to exclude the one thing we never want to hear........................but I figure at this point things can only get better. Besides Maia is counting on me to be there for her, and I can't let her down.

Believe me I will follow all the doctors orders, but I know its going to be very hard for me to keep from exercising to soon. I want to get back to my plans of running marathons to raise money for several medical foundations!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I will be hospitalized for atleast 3 days, and I want cable, some drugs that don't make me sick, flowers, and some friends better bring me some descent food!
And don't forget the private room!  I asked for a private room. My insurance covered a double occupancy, but I was going to pay a bit extra for the private room. I was put into a double occupancy for the first night, and kicked up a fuss until they gave me a private room the next day.   I live a lone and can't sleep in a room with anyone else in there, not to mention that double rooms are so cramped, and there is no privacy, and then you have the disturbance of the other person, their nurses and visitors.  Once I had my private room I was a happy girl! 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had my hysterectomy I asked them to take everything out, ovaries, uterus and cervix. I didn't want to worry about ovarian or cervical cancer. I figure they were in there already, just get rid of it all and have peace of mind in the future.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And don't forget the private room!  I asked for a private room. My insurance covered a double occupancy, but I was going to pay a bit extra for the private room. I was put into a double occupancy for the first night, and kicked up a fuss until they gave me a private room the next day.   I live a lone and can't sleep in a room with anyone else in there, not to mention that double rooms are so cramped, and there is no privacy, and then you have the disturbance of the other person, their nurses and visitors.  Once I had my private room I was a happy girl! 
   I wish, but unfortunately I am uninsured, and am getting very little financial aid. As a matter of disgust, one thing I do not receive any financial aid with is in hospital stay operations. Yes our countries health reforms disgust me even more now that all the years I am a tax payer, my tax dollars go to those who don't pay any taxes when it comes to health care!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Back in 2002 I had a hysterectomy due to a myoma. They tried "buttonhole surgery", but that wasn't successful due to severe adhesions caused by endometriosis. Three days later they gave me a bikini incision from hip to hip and removed everything but the ovaries. The hospital stay was 10 full days plus 2 partial ones. Although I was told I'd have some pain for 6 weeks, it was 6 months, again because of (new) adhesions. I didn't take the pain medication offered and was up walking around an hour out of the recovery room, so obviously the pain wasn't too bad. I woke up on the OP table, though (something I did for my tonsillectomy and thyroidectomy, too). :)

Not having a period or cramps is great, though I've had trouble with vaginal dryness since the OP.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You'll be fine and ecstatic not to have to deal with all that stuff anymore! 

I had a total hysterectomy (endometriosis) when I was 24 years old. I have never, ever reqretted that operation. No more cramps, no more periods, no more anything like that. I did take Premarin as a HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for a couple of years, but then switched over to a hormonal compounded drug and was on that for well over ten years. I had a bit of a scare with breast cancer last year, though, and that scared me enough that I quit HRT at that time. I do miss HRT, but I know that, in the long run, stopping it was for the best. And overall, I feel darn good. 

I don't know how they deal with it now; back then, I was in hospital for 3 days and then off work for six weeks. Wasn't allowed to do much of anything for the first three weeks or so and then could gradually start doing more as time went by. 

I had the bikini incision, too. My only problem with that (cutting cross-ways through the muscles) is that I can probably do 1,000 crunches a day and I'm NEVER going to get rid of the puffiness around that area. I will always have a wee bit of a "belly" because of that incision. It really bothered me years ago, but now? It's minor stuff.

You'll be fine. Up and around in no time. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheylink,

I had one. I was so happy not to deal with that time of the month anymore. I jumped for joy when the OBGYN told I was going to be a better woman. I don't miss my period at all. I was done having kids at 23 ( 2 kids was enough for me ).  I was bleeding alot during each month so I had no choice but to have one.

You will be fine. Good Luck.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll be fine and ecstatic not to have to deal with all that stuff anymore! 

I had a total hysterectomy (endometriosis) when I was 24 years old. I have never, ever reqretted that operation. No more cramps, no more periods, no more anything like that. I did take Premarin as a HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for a couple of years, but then switched over to a hormonal compounded drug and was on that for well over ten years. I had a bit of a scare with breast cancer last year, though, and that scared me enough that I quit HRT at that time. I do miss HRT, but I know that, in the long run, stopping it was for the best. And overall, I feel darn good. 

I don't know how they deal with it now; back then, I was in hospital for 3 days and then off work for six weeks. Wasn't allowed to do much of anything for the first three weeks or so and then could gradually start doing more as time went by. 

I had the bikini incision, too. My only problem with that (cutting cross-ways through the muscles) is that I can probably do 1,000 crunches a day and I'm NEVER going to get rid of the puffiness around that area. I will always have a wee bit of a "belly" because of that incision. It really bothered me years ago, but now? It's minor stuff.

You'll be fine. Up and around in no time. 
 Wow, at 24 years old, I can't even imagine what you went through emotionally.  I had to look up Endometriosis because I was unfamiliar with, I am so sorry for what you went through at such a young age.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Cheylink, but honestly? I have never regretted my decision. I knew that I didn't want more children and, in fact, I had had my tubes tied when I was 19 years old. I couldn't take the pain from the endometriosis any longer and, back then, there were no drugs that didn't have really bad side effects. I was Ok with my decision back then and I'm still Ok with it now. And bless Rick's heart, he was right there the whole time. He never once made me feel bad about my decision, he backed me 100%, and he was there. (When the doctor delivered our son -- I was 16 then -- he told me then that I had the beginning of endometriosis, but that I'd be Ok for a few years yet. He figured about ten years before I really started having problems and he wasn't too far off.)

Because of my age, the doctor made us watch a video of everything that he would do during the operation and what a hysterectomy could mean for me personally as a woman. I never went through an "oh poor me!" phase. We took it all in stride and we were fine. No more periods.....ever! Not during vacations, not during holidays. Ever!

Right after I had it done, I was back at work and there was a woman there who was a real piece of work. Every time something happened (meaning every time she went off the deep end about something trivial), she blamed it on her hysterectomy. It made her feel like less of a woman, it did this to her, it did that to her. And she was in her mid-40s at the time. I finally snapped and told her exactly what I thought about that. And told her to knock it off because we were all tired of hearing that excuse. That was the last anybody at work ever heard about that; we heard lots of other excuses though.

It's all in how you deal with it. And you know what? You're going to be fine!

Feel free to PM me, if you'd like. I can give you my phone number, too.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a hysterectomy at 27, pelvic adhesion, after numerous surgeries taking me apart piece by piece. They left my cervix but took everything else. The hot flashes began within a half hour after I woke up from the surgery. There was no vaginal hysterectomy in those days, and I don't know if I would have been a candidate or not for it anyway.

I took premarin (estrogen replacement) for 18 years..until I was 45. Then I gradually went off it, "self induced menopause" I called it. :lol3: I stopped taking he estrogen because I became worried about the long term use side effects, namely stroke.

Good luck to you. I had been sick and in pain for so long the surgery was a great relief, but I did have some depression over not being able to have children. That passed after a while.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my total hysterectomy at 26 (cystic ovaries that burst causing a massive infection). Never regretted it, was never on HRT. Though early menopause was a little rough, it was perfectly manageable. It has been wonderful not to have all that pain and bleeding from then on.
I had very little pain post op and used a pillow to brace my belly for a bit when going from sitting to standing, that was it. A nice pillow will be your best friend for a while after. Good luck with your operation!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Uterus, schmuterus, who needs one? LOL Seriously, it sounds as if you're making the right choice.

I also have at least one grapefruit-sized (as of 11 years ago) fibroid. I do think it has shrunk the past 2 years, as I'm perimenopausal. I was lucky in that it never gave me trouble. I could feel it before my period, and sometimes, when I had cramps, they hurt more in that area, but it was never that bad.

I haven't (yet) had a hysterectomy, but I'm going through perimenopause, and hardly have periods any more. I do NOT miss them! The only bad thing: when they do come, if I've skipped more than 2 months in a row, they are quite heavy. That only lasts 1-2 days, though, and I'm fine afterwards. I think if I weren't severely anemic to begin with, it wouldn't be half as bad (I get dizzy and weak). I haven't had a period since last March. I sort of miss the womanly-feeling thing; after all, I've been menstruating for many, many years, and it's a part of me. I also made the decision a few years back not to have kids, and the absence of my periods does often make me realize that my time to have kids is done, and I sometimes regret my decision. However, that's fading. I'm quite happy with no periods now!

I wish you all the best!

Last edited:

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my total hysterectomy at 26 (cystic ovaries that burst causing a massive infection). Never regretted it, was never on HRT. Though early menopause was a little rough, it was perfectly manageable. It has been wonderful not to have all that pain and bleeding from then on.
I had very little pain post op and used a pillow to brace my belly for a bit when going from sitting to standing, that was it. A nice pillow will be your best friend for a while after. Good luck with your operation!
   SO funny you bring up the pillow brace...............If I'm going to get any sleep, a pillow between the legs is a must! This slowly evolved in the past year, never before was it a regular practice. Now it is impossible for me to sleep on my back or stomach, has to be on my side rotating throughout the night and with a pillow between my legs. Maia's favorite place to sleep is between my legs and since I have not been able to sleep on my back she has had to readjust her curl up place to my very awkward position of on my side bottom leg out, top leg forward up on pillow and she snuggles between up against pillow and is a happy cat till I have to readjust.....Love her so much!

I just found out I have to wait till August 28th for operation, which sucks! That much closer though. I really can't wait for so many reasons, I'm going crazy waiting....

Thank you everyone for your support!

I wish we still had gifts here, I would be giving a lot of them!

TCS needs to bring the gifts back!