I'm coughing like a maniac

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So 2 weeks ago i got covid (for the second time) and it was bad as i had fever, flu and a very bad sore throat. I'm completely covid free now but I'm still having dry cough time to time. It's like there's something in there and it needs to come out. What I've noticed is that when i hold my cats and kiss them i cough even more. It gets ten times worse. Right now while im typing this, I'm coughing crazy. I held my furry cat just a while ago. Is it possible that i may be suddenly allergic to cats? I don't have runny nose or anything else. It's just the coughing. Someone with a similar experience could help me

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an upper respiratory infection, not COVID, and it took me a couple of months to get over a cough too. IMO, it could have something to do with being post pandemic and no longer having restrictions.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A Aafia Ijaz I would think your lungs are just more sensitive because you’re recovering from a bad bug. I know other respiratory bugs can do that. You don’t have Covid anymore; but your body is probably still healing.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have developed a mild bronchitis. Your airways are still irritated, which causes inflammation. That irritation / inflammation will cause you to have to cough and have a feeling like there's "stuff in there" that needs to come up...and there may be some phlegm that just isn't moving due to inflammation. So now take your sensitive and irritated airways and add a secondary irritant...cat fur/dander/dust...and voila! coughing fit. You most likely did NOT develop an allergy...and allergic or not, cat fur and dander are irritants to airways. The problem with chronic bronchitis is that the more you cough the more inflamed the airways get so the cycle simply continues for a long time.
Your best bet is to go to the doctor and get an inhaler. You would probably get a steroid inhaler and a rescue inhaler...where I am, it's the orange one and the blue one. That's what I usually get when I get bronchitis....I'm prone to it after a cold/flu. The steroid inhaler will diminish the inflammation and the rescue inhaler will relax the airways. And no, getting inhalers does not mean you have asthma. Usually after just the one prescription (and usually before I even finished the whole thing), it's gone.
Best of luck!!!! Feel better soon!