I'm back...again...

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I feel as though I don't deserve to come back to this site. But, I miss you all and I need a place where I feel safe. And, after all this time, this is still my "home."

You may notice that I have a new username. I had some issues with family locating me on the web. It was uncomfortable and something I wanted not to have to deal again and the site owner was kind enough to assist me. My previous name was "Alison Joy." But, from now on, I am "alicatjoy,"

The last time I posted was when I was adopting a cat after having moved and needed to rehome my precious kitties. I was so excited, but that happiness and joy quickly faded when I realized that my dog was not going to accept the new cat. And, it was a horrible decision to be faced with, but before the kitty and I became too bonded, I had to return her to the rescue. My dog had never responded in that way to any animal - let alone a cat! I resigned myself to not being able to have a feline companion in my home, but, once again, things changed and a circumstance presented itself that I had no choice but to jump on.

Many of you may remember that I had a cat named Delaney. When I moved, I had to leave her with my former roommate who promised to care for her. For a while, I was still able to go to her home frequently during the week to take care of and visit with the cats that I had left there. All was well. However, soon, my roommate made excuses why I could not come to the house. And, my work schedule changed and I was forced to accept her decision. And, this is where it becomes difficult as my heart is broken, but my cats were no longer being cared for in the way I expected them to be. I quickly rehomed Cassidy and Emory to a friend of mine. They are both doing exceptionally well now. And, Guinness and Finnegan went to one of my client's homes together. That left sweet Delaney. I had a difficult time finding a home for her and let her stay with an ex of mine until something more stable could be worked out. Sadly, I should not have left her there. She was being housed in a bedroom with little human contact. She was being fed once daily and not the food I had purchased for her. She did not have a clean enough litter box and she was not being groomed or attended to. There are other things as well, but they are better left unsaid. When I found this out, I quickly contacted my apartment management and explained the situation. The same complex which was strict on saying ALL cats needed to be declawed had truly paid attention to the information I had provided them. And, they allowed me to bring Delaney home despite not being declawed. I do have to pay an additional deposit, but it is well worth it to have my cat back.

The beauty in all of this is that my dog, Maddie, remembered Delaney (renamed Clara Belle by my roommate and later carried on by my ex). From the moment Clara came into the apartment, Madeline was in heaven! It was as though she had her friend back and she has been in such good spirits since this weekend. And, I have been as well. Clara was always my heart kitty, but she has become so much more than that now. As a single cat who was used to living with 4 others, things are very different. She was always an affectionate, loving kitty, but she has flourished into an amazing companion. She has been back with me for going on 72 hours and my heart swells with love for her. And, it is obvious that she is comfortable and happy in her new, forever home.

Reintroducing Madeline and Clara Belle has been simple, but it is still a process. Clara Belle has free reign of the apartment and Maddie does as well save for when she stays in the bathroom while I am out. I had tried to separate them, but it wasn't going to happen. My dog is on a flea and tick preventative and I gave Clara a preventative before she even came into the house. She is still hiding and has not been quick to eat, but she comes out frequently for attention. While Maddie will occasionally try to chase her, there has been no hissing, growling, or fighting. It is better than anything I could have expected and I am over the moon that things are working out as they are. More than anything, however, I am grateful to have my kitty back in my life. Madeline, Clara Belle, and I are a little family who will live happily ever after!

So, who says you can't go "home?" With things as they are now, I hope to never leave this site again. Thank you all for still being here and for being the amazing friends and family that you are.