Im At A Loss

Kitashkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

So...i have two cats, and I'm at a loss on both.

A little background. We bought and moved into our new home October of 2014. We already had an older pug. In november, i adopted toothless, who was only 5 weeks old. Soon after, our roommate adopted a puppy, and all three got along well. Roommate, however, didn't take care of puppy. Puppy used the bathroom in the house all the time. Also, roommate was physically mean to toothless because she was a typically sharp- clawed and playful kitten. Eventually, for many reasons, roommate was kicked out and took puppy with him. Our pug passed about a year later. We adopted another kitten last year, kiba, a male.

Now, both cats were VERY young and not the most taken care of when we rescued/adopted. Both were taken to the vet, up to date on shots/worming, and both were fixed and declawed as kittens.

The problem backround:

Toothless, since roommates dog left, has pooped on the carpet. Only carpet. When we ripped up the carpet in the Living room and put down hardwood, it stopped in there, but continued in the bedrooms. We've tried EVERYTHING. She's been looked at, nothing wrong. She's been given kitty prozac, we've changed litter...litterally everything. Now, I've only ever seen her poop outside the litter box, never pee....and if her catch her and take her to the litter box, she'll finish there.she seems happy, though. She's playful, loving, and just the best personality. She doesn't trust everyone who comes over, though. She's picky...i blame that on x-roomate.

Kiba was fixed as a kitten. Absolutely no issues until abput 4-5 months ago. All of a sudden he started whining to go outside...but it's a low gutteral, almost masculine meow....and he has taken an exceptionally x-rated liking to my kids stuffed animals. He always has to be in my bed for his humping, even if my husband and I are already there. It's unnerving. However, I have never seen him spray.

The actual problem:
My house STINKS. The heater (baseboard heat), stink, the carpets stink....the kids bedroom stinks....there is a tiny area that tootgless can squeeze into to get back BEHIND my kitchen cabinets (kiba is too fat)...and now they smell so gross, it's gag inducing. The issue is, Idk if it's toothless using the bathroom, because I've never seen her pee outside the litter box, or if it's kiba spraying, because I've never seen that either. The vets are officially at a loss and don't know how to help, and I'm at my wits end. Help!

Sorry so long!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hithere: I'm glad you joined the forum and hope we can help with your current problem. My first question is - how many litter boxes do you have for the 2 cats? The reason I'm asking is because it is advisable to have one more litter box than the number of cats you have, i.e. 3 total litter boxes or one per cat plus one. Here is a helpful article about litter box problems and avoidance: How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Good luck and please keep us posted on your cat's progress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! She's missing the pug, the puppy and even possibly the roommate - in any case she has had to deal with a LOT of changes. Kiba is probably detecting a cat outside, whether you're able to see a roaming housecat/stray/feral, or not, he can.

Prozac is one item in a large market of calming products, and isn't effective in this case. Besides diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Obtain a blacklight to see the pee marks - note that some lights work better than others so double-check product reviews. Also get some enzymatic cleaners - sounds like your poor house has gotten simply whacked by both canine and feline!

Here is a short thread discussion of enzymatic and other cleaners.
Anyone Had Luck With Scoe10x Enzyme Cleaner For Cat Pee?

Also here are a few articles that might also help you;
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, you say your cats are declawed. Let me ask what kind of litter you use? They could be avoiding the litter box if the litter is too hard on their paws. I have a friend who rescued a declawed cat from the humane society. He has a lot of problems with the litter box. Cannot use pellets or crystals, or clay litter at all. Heavy, hard or rough litter hurts his feet, and he just avoids the box.

What worked for her is a large open litter box, so it is easy for him to move around. She only uses grass litters, or the new one at walmart litter maid walnut litter, walmart is the only place i have found it. another really soft litter i have tested lately is coconut, this litter was the fav of all my cats when i was testing it, very soft.

A vet check to make sure there are no health issues is my recommendation, if all clear then i would clean really well, get new large litter boxes, and 1 or two of these soft litters to see if it makes a difference.

CatSpot Litter | Organic Cat Litter Delivery Service

Pioneer Pet / Litter / Litter & Accessories / Cat - Free shipping at Chewy.com

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Littermaid-Natural-Premium-Walnut-Clumping-Cat-Litter-9-Lb/352579767

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
duckpond duckpond makes good points in regards to Toothless. Declawed cats can have litter box problems because of sensitivity; just one of the many reasons we strongly discourage declawing. Low sided boxes and soft materials, even shredded newpapers or the rodent bedding type materials may be beneficial.

Kiba might be having a stress reaction to Toothless behavior. It could also be that both are having a stress reaction due to the household issues. A black light and through cleaning is a good place to start with the smell. Changing litter material may also help and her ou can partner with your vet to see about a temporary option to stabilize mood if they agree.

Sometimes just something to break the cycle and restructure can do wonders. I’d also get a second opinion from a different vet if your vet isn’t on board with the stress assessment and options to work on that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an itemized list on what has been done (at the vets) for the cats?