I'm asking due to a potential family situation

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basically, my brother and his girlfriend are going to have to find somewhere new to live in January (that's when they are getting evicted due to their landlord selling his properties)

They have a timid 14 or 15 year old female cat who has lived with another cat before (other cat had to get put to sleep cause her kidneys completely failed)

They are struggling to find somewhere and have got onto the council to get somewhere else to live - if the council give them somewhere, they will be able to keep Millie - the cat

If they manage to get another rental property and if the landlord says no to them taking Millie with them, I truly fear for her future

In theory, Millie could come to mine but that would really be a last resort if rescue was the only other option

My question is, if I took Millie on (sorry I don't have a photo of Millie, due to the distances involved I've only been able to meet her a couple of times), how could I get Willow to allow her into the house without severe bullying behaviour and possibly actual aggression?

Willow *will* attack other cats outside, I have actually seen her pin her ears back and snarl at other cats and fly at them, her intention is clear when she does that

She's fine with Tigger - cause Tigger was already here when Willow arrived, she washes Tigger happily

this is why I'm saying me taking Millie would really be a last resort if they exhausted every other option

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could it even work with Millie and Willow though, considering Willow's reaction when she sees a strange cat?

Tigger's absolutely fine with other cats, she welcomed Willow with open paws when Willow first came here, literally within hours Tigger had sneaked in behind me into Willow's room and was asking her to be friends and play <3

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is worth the risk, given Millie's age - if it comes to that. Make sure all of her belongings/possessions are brought with her and set her up in her own room to begin with. She needs to feel stable in a new environment before any introductions can begin. Maybe do a two-part introduction, starting with Tigger. The very fact that Willow gets along with Tigger - despite the fact that Tigger was 'first' - gives you some glimmer of hope that you could integrate Millie over time - perhaps a long time. Maybe, if Tigger and Millie get along, that might change Willow's mind.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Tigger welcomes other cats, I'd maybe do some scent swapping with her and Millie first, and get them acclimated and then bring Willow into the mix. If Tigger is already comfortable and welcoming of her, Willow may take her cues from Tigger being happy and relaxed around her, and be more accepting more quickly. I think they really do feed off of one another in this way.
If worse comes to worse and you do take her, I hope it works out, thank you for looking out for her. :hugs:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that scent-swapping as soon as possible is a great idea. If it's feasible to mail things back & forth, I would put soft cloths (microfiber cleaning cloths, old t-shirts, washcloths or "orphan" socks work fine) in the cats' beds now and after about 10 days of use, mail them to be put in the other cat's bed.
I do hope that your brother's family finds an affordable, cat-friendly new place to live. Best Friends society has done a lot of research into why people are surrendering their pets and housing issues are one of the main causes. There is so much money to be made in rentals that even small family houses get sold to real estate corporations who "remodel" and the rent skyrockets. It's so sad :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sorry it took a while, i didnt know what was happening for sure, kept sending them rental properties to try for then had to wait until one came up good