I'm apparently his fifth home...

seapanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If that says enough...

Hey guys, I came here because I have a little problem and wanted to chat with some fellow cat ladies/gents.
I recently adopted a "special needs" cat. I love helping animals, and so almost all of my pets over the years I got when they were already adult and/or disabled. So this isn't anything very new to me, but it's certainly the most challenging.

This cat is an adult male, around 8 years old, and has severe epilepsy, which also makes him incontinent. I put padding everywhere and change it daily, which was expected. However he has a LOT of medication to take daily, which includes me waking up 3x a night to give them to him. (And administered in the day as well, so scheduling isn't the problem either.)

He won't take pills. I know, everyone says that about their cat but... bruh... I've tried everything. I don't know how he does it, but he always spits them out even when i force them into the very back of his throat, which I hate doing, but it's SO important that he takes his medication! He won't touch pill pockets. I've tried covering the pills in all kinds of treats, and he just doesn't care. I tried, and usually do now,take the powder out of the pills and mix them with water and then inject them into his mouth, but he's good at getting a lot of that out too, and I don't know how much he is really getting, or if he's even getting enough. Also one of the pills is giant, bigger than I've seen for most pills intended for humans. It's crazy.

Having these battles 5x a daily, (3x in the middle of the night when I'm hardly functioning) is making me really concerned. I've only had him for a few days and he's getting progressively better at avoiding his medicine. Also he is so strong... I can hardly tilt his head back when I'm trying to give him the medicine. I'm just afraid that I'm going to really hurt him.

Another concern I have, although it's a small one, is his incontinence, which his medication is also supposed to help with. I put padding everywhere to soak up his accidents, which happen when he has a seizure in his sleep. I obviously can't put padding on every surface of every room, as he is a cat, but I'm concerned about when I'm away from home and I can't see where he goes to nap, or pad it in time. I can't keep my eyes on him 24/7, but I don't want to keep him locked in a kennel whenever I'm away. Should I just keep him in one room, or a bigger kennel when I'm gone? I hate even saying that. He's also chewing into stuff. He came from a rescue shelter, do you think maybe he misses being around other cats?

I don't expect any miracle answers... I guess I kinda wanted to vent too. And I don't want to give up on this little guy. He's so sweet despite his problems.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Or if you've been or are in a similar situation, do you have any advice? Or even just want to share your situation, it might be nice to listen and know I'm not alone. Thank you for reading if you got this far.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does he eat wet food or those lickable treats? You may be able to mix his medicine in with that and have him eat it, if the medicine itself doesn't taste gross. Worth a try. I've also seen a trick where people put the pill in the hole of the lickable treats just barely inside so the puree pushes it into their mouth and they end up swallowing it with the puree.

Is he a chewer with crunchy treats? One of our cats will find a pill in a pill pocket and spit it out but if we sandwich the pill between a small piece of pill pocket and a crunchy treat he just swallows it all whole. I give it to him crunchy side up.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you ask your vet if his medication could be given in liquid form. I'm thinking you'd need to put a smaller amount in his mouth then mixing with water, so he might be more inclined to take it. Plus it would be a little less runny so harder for him to spit out. Or try crushing them into a little tuna juice if he likes tuna. I've also heard of pill pockets for cat's they are meant to be good. As far as when you have to go out how about confineing him to the bathroom that way he has more room than a crate but accidents are easier to clean up. You could cover the floor with pads and put one in the sink cat's as you know love to sleep in sinks. Thank you for giving him a caring home. :rock:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S seapanda : Welcome to TCS. :wave2: And thank you for taking on the challenge of caring for this special needs cat. :petcat::redheartpump:

I don't have any suggestions for way to give him his pills, however, I do have a thought on his incontinence issue. Maybe look into stud pants. Here's a TCS thread on the topic: New Stud Pants for Sprayer

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. For all pills/meds that are crushable, powered, or liquids, try adding them to some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). If that doesn't work, get some FortiFlora and sprinkle that on top of the baby food meat - or any other food medium you can try. Feeby does well with the baby food meat, but there are days I have to sprinkle FortiFlora on top as an added 'boost'. She can't - as seems to the case for a lot of cats - resist the flavor.

Another idea regarding his incontinence - have you looked into belly bands, or these - Cat Diaper Pull-ups Allow for Defecating in Litterbox (barkertime.com)?

He might be a bit lonely and/or bored, hence the chewing, so try things like cat music, heartbeat toy/ticking clock to see if that might at least serve as a soother for him when you are not home. Test them all while you are at home first so you can get him used to it in your presence. If you can safely provide him with window-view access, being able to see outside might help as well. Leaving him some of your worn, unwashed clothes where he hangs out might help soothe him a bit too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given your cat's age and how desperately he needs his medicine, I would mix the powder in tuna. Our cat takes hers in water packed tuna won't touch oil packed tuna, there is that to consider when trying the tuna. Also different brands taste different.

Try every food you can think of - some cats really like peanut butter. This will be such a small amount you might even consider cream or ice cream, unless you know he can't tolerate it at all.

Do not try to coat the pill in butter or anything else slippery.

You might also ask the vet if the medicine or some of it, can be in gel form.

GustifursMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you doing the towel wrap thing? I found it works well. Wrap him up in a little cat burrito, only head out (google has lots of demos and how to's on this). Then mix the powder into a little squirter thing (which I'm sure you have). Make sure to put the squirter right into the corner of their mouth, where they have a little empty space. Squirt to the back of the mouth so they don't taste it. Good luck. You are an amazing person. Keep at it!!