I'm afraid my cat might have been seriously misdiagnosed - please chime in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Are either or both hospitals approved by the AAHA?  
NOPE! Funny you should mention that...  Karma's original vet was at an AAHA certified clinic. That vet was always very thorough and the hospital was well equipped. After we moved, the vet we took Karma to came highly recommended by a close friend; a friend who was a professor at the vet school.  Everything went just peachy with him at first. I did look at his CV and scrolled through his reviews before I met him. But I never checked his AAHA status until you brought it up. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

this situation INCENSES ME!!!

IF IT WERE MY CAT I WOULD POST SUCH A POST ON YELP THE COPS WOULD COME AND CART ME AWAY!

so then I would delete that and post a negative review sticking to the facts including everything from the chart.

then I would call the humane society, the newspaper and a lawyer.

this vet should be sued for malpractice.

I hope you do 
Do you mean, I'm not overreacting? Please tell me I'm not overreacting.  My mind has been wandering into places too dark for YELP or the newspaper. I do not even use his name anymore. I just call him Dr Baseball Bat if that gives you an idea (don't worry, I'm too weak to swing one). Even my gray hair has turned back to red- without dye this time!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would write a letter explaining what your impressions are of what happened and put copies of your kitties records with it.  I would then send everything to your state's veterinary licensing board.  A vet's license is rarely pulled but there should be some kind of disciplinary action.  I think most states publicize those disciplinary actions on their website.  I know most people don't go that indepth checking out a vet but it might save another kitty.  I know along with the fine Ohio usually requires the vet to take a course in whatever area that they were disciplined for.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
obviously you're not overreacting,  while I wouldn't put the legalities over your cats health if u can put those in someone else's hands while you concentrate on karma that would be ideal. maybe just a short complaint to get the ball rolling.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Piece of advice, if you are going to take legal action or make a formal complaint, I would not be talking about this on a public forum any further. You might even ask to have this thread removed if you move to that next stage. While you need to make a formal complaint if necessary, I would do it quietly without talking about it any more on a public forum (does TCS has a private restricted section where she can get advice if necessary?).

Among other things, it may affect the case if someone sees the thread - and once someone starts complaining about a vet publicly, you may find other vets not wanting to work with you (I know someone who had experience of this sort). Not saying to let this stop you, but to perhaps to talk about on a less public space.

Good luck to you.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Piece of advice, if you are going to take legal action or make a formal complaint, I would not be talking about this on a public forum any further. You might even ask to have this thread removed if you move to that next stage. While you need to make a formal complaint if necessary, I would do it quietly without talking about it any more on a public forum (does TCS has a private restricted section where she can get advice if necessary?).

Among other things, it may affect the case if someone sees the thread - and once someone starts complaining about a vet publicly, you may find other vets not wanting to work with you (I know someone who had experience of this sort). Not saying to let this stop you, but to perhaps to talk about on a less public space.

Good luck to you.
pms are always good...if u go the above route (which as no one knows who u are and the truth is on your side that route seems extrasupercautious to me)  I hope u will pm me anytime...I WANT to know what happens...I am about to sue MOTEL 6 for the death of my cat (maybe)

smouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vancouver Canada and The Dominican Republic

pms are always good...if u go the above route (which as no one knows who u are and the truth is on your side that route seems extrasupercautious to me)  I hope u will pm me anytime...I WANT to know what happens...I am about to sue MOTEL 6 for the death of my cat (maybe)
I agree.

Not that I didn't have an award winning rant, myself, on this matter ... but, it was one of empathy; if people can't share similar experience to encourage dialogue on what seems to be a fairly common occurrence these days(lack or compassion/tolerance for pets and their people) nothing changes. I'm certainly not saying that there aren't great vets that chose the profession for their love of animals, but this website is rife with tragedy and disappointment regarding vet care, and the sad assumption that every veterinary professional adores helping animals and their owners, alike.

Removing comments that say as much, in order that a private reprimand may be handed down (unlikely at best), only perpetuates that mind set of not rocking the boat. We are fortunate here, in North America, that we do not reside in a police state or under totalitarian regime. We are fortunate that we can share our lives with these graceful creatures ... and, we are fortunate that we may also enjoy decent and organized medical services for our beloved animals. However, it's not without it's flawed professionals like any other field of medicine. It took a very long time for society to speak up regarding negative, human experiences; not long ago,  the alternative to suffering in silence was often at ones own expense. Thankfully, class action suits have changed much of that, and open communication is the positive result  ... but it had to start somewhere and didn't happen over night. Granted malpractice suits have gone a little too far in the other direction ... but, point is, if pet owners can't communicate their (respective) truths in an open and honest forum, change has little chance.

And, while I'm certainly not encouraging everyone to get climb aboard the rant express, chilly observations and protocol concern does seem 'extrasupercautious' lol, especially since what's done is done. Better someone reads these threads and make their own choice should they encounter the vet in question ... or any other vet with an attitude problem and/or lack of concern. Handling matters 'privately' is, perhaps, important when it's one's own personal matter ... but if it were a child being treated poorly and misdiagnosed it's doubtful (in this day and age) that a few boats wouldn't be rocking.

And, given what we spend on these precious creatures, I'd say this dialogue is well overdue.

I also 'WANT TO KNOW', so please pm everyone who is concerned with any updates on your baby's health, Owned by Karma. And, while I obviously could have PMd this diatribe, I have a feeling mycatwasthebest wasn't referring to those of us leaving supportive and encouraging comments.

mimicatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay ,

So I believe you are all from California and it appears that you are talking of going to the vet school, so let me issue a serious warning here about your pet's health if you want to take your pet to this hospital: Fasten your seat-belts you are not gonna believe it ( I have proofs of that though...)

-1- California law considers pets like objects so do NOT ever let your vet make you sign anything that obligates you to go the arbitration instead of going to court in case of malpractice, mistake etc. Because if you sign that you will get... The merchant value of your cat considering her age! So unless you have a world champion, damages average is around a couple of hundreds of $. ( that is why most California vets are so terrible: They don't care!)

-2- UC Davis School of vet medicine is held to NO standard of care like all other vets in CA, they have to abide by no law ( yes), and is NOT under the jurisdiction of the CA board of vet medicine. ( no need to say "noooo" it sadly is the reality of the situation.) The Chancellor and the dean are very happy about this " no supervision situation". In case of problem they WILL NOT do anything about your case ( what ethical behavior can possibly be expected from people who tolerate that clinical trials could be ran under their watch on disabled people and without meeting the basic requirements required by the GCPs?)

-3- The governor's office is perfectly aware of several cases of serious problems with the vet school, the Gov office controls the vet school ( since they appoint their members) and does not do anything about the ongoing problems with UC davis.

-4 - The DCA, even if they control the vet board so not do anything either and the further I have been tracing malpractice cases is ....12 years ago ( yes years)

-5- UC Davis makes you sign a document they call "estimate" be careful because so far not ONE of their totals was consistent with the total of the items they have listed in their estimate....

-6- UC Davis makes you sign a document called "estimate" BUT most importantly be aware that they have slipped in this document a paragraph that says that you give up your constitutional rights to a trial if they commit ANYTHING ( malpractice, mistake, misdiagnosis, unprofessional or negligent behavior, etc) AND REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME.

-7- UC Davis makes you sign a document called "estimate" BUT most importantly be aware that they have slipped in this document a paragraph that says that REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU TO.

So bottom line you give them the absolute and unlimited right to kill your cat in the most horrendous pain, to poison her or worse and to sue you so that you actually pay for them doing that.

How do I know that? They actually overdosed my cat with 4 times the prescribed dose ( see pics of his chart on my profile) He DIED.  I can provide ( written) proofs of all of the above of course. But I can also get you in touch with other persons who came for a surgery, UCDavis did not perform the surgery BUT the owners ended up obligated to pay anyways for a vet bill of 17 000$ in surgery that has actually NOT been performed ( before you said "they should take them to court" Yes they did and they lost all the way through, including in appeal because in California this wonderful state of law, UC Davis can legally do whatever they want, get away with it AND get paid for having killed your pet.)

My point being I beg you, DO NOT take your cat there EVER.

Contact me if you need evidence.

Mimicatmom

mimicatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand you all and this post gets my blood to a boiling point, but please read my post about suing a vet in CA....

And ah yes also just so you know, in 2012, Yelp had already about 700 complaints from business owners with the federal trade commission. Yessss seven zero zero ( Check this out : https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united...mplaints-for-wwwyelpcom-1645/#700819-delaware) for manipulating ratings in a positive or negative way depending on if the business owner has paid them or not ... 

As a matter of fact when UC Davis overdosed my cat ( they gave a 7 lb cat the dose for a full grown... MAN of a drug that is not authorized in animals by the FDA. Then they hid to us that this drug has caused -according to the FDA records- the death of several cats to whom this medication has been administered by unscrupulous vets.) My cat died, I wrote a review and posted all evidences supporting that on Yelp ( I have a document with UCDavis' full header saying they have overdosed my cat)

Guess what Yelp did? They removed my review, they removed my documents and they took down my account! Good luck warning other pet owners on Yelp! 

We need to make a thread with the names of the bad vets instead of hiding names because first freedom of speech exists I believe, and then we have to be aware that our ignorance can kill our cats if we take them to a bad vet office/hospital. I can tell you that with what they did to my cat, UCD is not close to get me to shut my mouth. Not now, now even in a million years.

Having been stationed abroad ( US military) for a while I can tell you that vet care in big EU countries is a third of the price of what it is here in the US,  AND is light-years ahead of whatever I have seen so far in America in terms of quality.

Sad but true and the US standard of care WILL NOT evolve until good vat are known and bad vets are being held accountable. That's what levels upwards ( not downwards as it is now)