I'm afraid my cat might have been seriously misdiagnosed - please chime in!

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone has experience with FORL and hyperthyroidism, please let me hear from you. I really need some advice. I will try to make some sense of this story. But I'm a little skakey here because one of my cats, Karma, threw up blood anout 3 hours ago. The vet's off had already closed. He's had a bit of diarrhea since.

He's on methimazole. He's been on it since a very sudden weight loss in January last year. He never had any symptoms of hyperthyroidism. He tended to be plump, and he was playful when I engaged him; but certainly not hyperactive at all. But the day we brought him in, his T4 was sky high. BUT, he was was also dehydrated and needed a full bag of fluids. I don't know a lot about cats. But I bred 11 generations of IFC and AKC champion dogs. It's been my experience that you don't use tests done on a dehydrated animal because the blood is overly concentrated.

The vet thought he must have been suffering for a long time and would not believe my husband and I when we told him the illness and weight loss really was sudden. We showed him that his annual physical had only been 4 months prior to that and he was in great shape. I also kept trying to show the vet there was something painful going on in his mouth or throat. He couldn't even drink water normally. I demonstrated all the weird motions he was doing. I showed the vet where I could see how the profile of his face had changed. I know that sounds weird, but after you spend 30 years observing conformation you just notice that sort of thing. Anyway, he wrote me off as a kook. He put Karma on 10 mg methimazole twice a day.

He did not get any better. We waited the 3 weeks to get his thyroid test done. When we showed up for our appointment, they wouldn't do the test. It wasn't the right time interval after his last dose. Well,  since we were there, I insisted the vet examine his mouth. He did, and said he had a bad case of gingivitis but nothing else. I could see that his gums were badly inflamed and bloody, which they had never been before. We made an appointment to get his teeth cleaned and have his thyroid tested.

When they put him under to do the cleaning, they found a broken tooth! One of his canines was crumbled inside the gum and split down to the tip. They removed it, but did not do any diagnostic tests or refer us to someone who could. He had been on methimazole 20 mg for 2 months. His thyroid level was ZERO - undetectable. Instead of telling us to take him off the drug, the vet said to cut the dose in half. From what I understand, that was still a pretty high dose. 

So, after watching this poor cat lay around cold, skinny, and too weak to get up, my hubby and I took it upon ourselves to take him off the drug until he felt stronger, then reintroduced a tiny dose for a few months. Once he started eating and drinking again, I kept close watch. It's obvious his mouth and possibly throat are still painful. He has a lot of trouble eating. He'll even take a swipe at me if I touch his face at certain times, which is very stark difference from the cat who wanted me to rub his cheeks all the time. I suspect he has FORLs. I think that was what was wrong with him all along, but I'd like get the input of a cat person. Our vet has never mentioned it. Karma just had a check-up. The only comment he made about Karma's mouth was that he had more tartar build up already. Karma's thyroid level was 5. My hubby explained to the vet that he had been too afraid to give Karma the dose of meds as prescribed because he almost died. Then the vet fussed about it, told him what we were giving him was not even a therapeutic dose that would have any effect, and that we had to at least double it immediately. We were supposed to keep him on that and bring him back in 6 weeks for another test. His appointment is on the 4th.

Well, in addition to the fact that he can't chew, has trouble drinking, and is in constant pain, now that the med has built up in his system again he's lost appetite. He's vomiting  daily. He doesn't want to move or play at all. Last night he stopped eating completely. Today he started throwing up water all day long. This evening he threw up  fresh blood. Does anyone want to help me out here? I'd really like to know what you think might be wrong with him if you have some experience with these conditions.    

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive Lesions are extremely painful.  Our 17 year old cat has had several tooth removals due to them.  She now has less than ten (out of 30) left.  This includes the loss of her canines (she has one left).   It took her a while to adapt, but she can eat.  Sometimes we give her a little assist, but her appetite is always good.

The problem with letting any kind of periodontal disease fester is that infections can become exponentially worse than normal injuries.  This is because it is easiest for them to enter the blood stream from the mouth.  Once infection gets into the blood stream, you can end up with terrible complications, including heart problems.

Did your vet take any x-rays or radiographs of the teeth before the dental?  It seems odd that they just "found" the deteriorated canine during cleaning.

I don't know much about hyperthyroidism in cats, but we have a dog with Addison's.  She also recently developed a mild case of hyperthyroidism.  Both issues are related to her endocrine system (adrenal, thyroid glands) and are managed with medication.  She gets a Percorten shot every 23 days, as well as a low dose of prednisolone for the Addison's, and she gets a low dose of Thyroxine for her thyroid.  Every once in a while, her appetite wanes, but usually comes back after a day or two.

I have a feeling that your kitty is much worse off.  Not eating, and throwing up are two very big red flags in my book.  Thing is, the symptoms might not even be related to any of his current problems.  Sometimes we get caught up in all the variables, that we forget to look "outside the box".  I'm concerned that you say your vet didn't recommend any diagnostic testing.  I would look for a different vet, for a fresh perspective. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to take him to another vet. I guess I should have mentioned that I can't drive because of my own medical condition, so I don't have the freedom to just put him in the car and go, like I would like to. Plus I was caught so ignorant about the vet's line of thinking last time (dogs normally get hypo, not hyper, thyroid- and they can break a tooth and keep right on chewing a bone!). I wanted to hear from people with cat experience so I would (hopefully) notice if a different vet was telling me something that didn't sound quite right.

Thanks! 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would agree with getting a second opinion. Get copies of all the tests done already by your current vet to take with you. There may be several things going on here, but a full diagnostic including x-rays are needed of his mouth for sure!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyper- / Hypo-  you're right, I always forget which one it is. 

I did find a short article on hyperthyroidism in cats by the University of Washington.  Essentially, it looks like Karma IS actually exhibiting many of the classic symptoms of hyperthyroid.  The fact that his thyroid levels went up after you quit giving him the meds is also a pretty good indicator.  Here is also another snippet from the article regarding the medication:
 Methimazole may produce side effects in cats including depression, vomiting and lack of appetite. These signs usually resolve without stopping the medication.
Another article I read mentioned that many patients have difficulty swallowing the pills because a) their thyroids are swollen and b) the pill is very bitter.

Of course, the problem may be compounded by the sore teeth and gums.  I'm surprised you haven't mentioned any kind of pain management.

I would still seek out a vet that will be willing to do the necessary diagnostic testing, and, more importantly, explain the results in a clear manner.  When it comes to health management, for us or our fur-kids, communication is key.

Last edited:

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*UPDATE* ...and maybe some hand holding?

My hubby had to risk losing his job this morning
 so we could get Karma to the vet (Yes, there are bosses who don't consider your cat a family emergency!). We took him to the same vet because it was urgent. He gave Karma some fluids, meds for the nausea, drew blood a complete panel, etc. He didn't make any arrangements to x ray Karma's mouth, so we have since emailed some other veterinary offices which claim dental expertise to ask about their procedures and costs. My husband found a sore in Kama's mouth which the vet said was nothing. My husband collected a sample of the bloody vomit and brought it in for testing- something we had been taught to do from many years of owning a kennel. Instead of looking at it, this guy had the audacity to say "maybe he just ate some trash". Then my head exploded. 

Anyway, by the time we got there, we had already learned from a pharmacist that anorexia, vomiting, and even hemorrhage were known side effects of the drug. We did manage to get a prescription for the transdermal form. We had also learned from a cat endocrinologist that a t4 level of 5 should not be considered diagnostic in a cat without a palpable mass or gallop rhythm. Besides, it took a year (Feb '13 - Mar '14) to get up to 5 after crashing down to zero. In a hyperthyroid cat it should have spiked right back up after the methizadole was withdrawn. He also mentioned that the initial onset of hyperthyroidism doesn't develop suddenly. They weren't sure exactly  but it was thought to be about a two year time frame. That would rule out Karma. He had gone from 11.4 lbs to 8 lbs in 2 months, without any symptoms of hyperthyroidism since we'd had him. He's never regained his weight, which is probably my fault. After they removed his broken tooth I assumed his mouth was "fixed" and that  he should be able to eat normal food again.I thought they had done dental x rays at the time, made sure there no other broken teeth, cleaned out or excised any infection. I just recently found out they didn't do any of that. So all this time, I thought he was just being too finicky and spoiled. It took me too long to face the fact that the poor thing just can't chew. Even when it's his favorite food, I'll have to water it down and puree it. I don't mind doing it now that I see what's wrong. When all this started, I had just lost my last two dogs. I was so burnt out and heartbroken- I can't even put it into words.

Karma has not bounced back at all after getting some fluids this morning. He should have felt better by now. The vet didn't see any need for antibiotics or analgesics. I spent a long time looking at his x-rays. I must say, he has some beautiful joints, hips, and spine- no pain coming from there. His kidneys, lungs, liver- normal texture and size. His stomach and small intestine were a little narrow, probably from under-eating.   But there was something that is keeping me up tonight. I saw an oddly asymmetrical heart with what appeared to be a small mass attached. A bad x-ray? I don't know. I had a 5 year old champion dog once who had always been the picture of health. He developed an indolent angiosarcoma growing from his heart. It didn't cause him any discomfort or show any symptoms until it invaded his lung. I've never gotten over it. Let's hope the radiologist says it was just an anomaly on Karma's film.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

*UPDATE* ...and maybe some hand holding?

My hubby had to risk losing his job this morning
 so we could get Karma to the vet (Yes, there are bosses who don't consider your cat a family emergency!). We took him to the same vet because it was urgent. He gave Karma some fluids, meds for the nausea, drew blood a complete panel, etc. He didn't make any arrangements to x ray Karma's mouth, so we have since emailed some other veterinary offices which claim dental expertise to ask about their procedures and costs. My husband found a sore in Kama's mouth which the vet said was nothing. My husband collected a sample of the bloody vomit and brought it in for testing- something we had been taught to do from many years of owning a kennel. Instead of looking at it, this guy had the audacity to say "maybe he just ate some trash". Then my head exploded. ...

After they removed his broken tooth I assumed his mouth was "fixed" and that  he should be able to eat normal food again.I thought they had done dental x rays at the time, made sure there no other broken teeth, cleaned out or excised any infection. I just recently found out they didn't do any of that. So all this time, I thought he was just being too finicky and spoiled. It took me too long to face the fact that the poor thing just can't chew. Even when it's his favorite food, I'll have to water it down and puree it. I don't mind doing it now that I see what's wrong. When all this started, I had just lost my last two dogs. I was so burnt out and heartbroken- I can't even put it into words.

Karma has not bounced back at all after getting some fluids this morning. He should have felt better by now. The vet didn't see any need for antibiotics or analgesics. I spent a long time looking at his x-rays. I must say, he has some beautiful joints, hips, and spine- no pain coming from there. His kidneys, lungs, liver- normal texture and size. His stomach and small intestine were a little narrow, probably from under-eating.   But there was something that is keeping me up tonight. I saw an oddly asymmetrical heart with what appeared to be a small mass attached. A bad x-ray? I don't know. I had a 5 year old champion dog once who had always been the picture of health. He developed an indolent angiosarcoma growing from his heart. It didn't cause him any discomfort or show any symptoms until it invaded his lung. I've never gotten over it. Let's hope the radiologist says it was just an anomaly on Karma's film.
why didn't he "make arrangements" to do x-rays? and what would make him think this cat is NOT in pain?

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

why didn't he "make arrangements" to do x-rays? and what would make him think this cat is NOT in pain?
Honestly, I don't understand it. Ya know what he said to me, "why would you think he's in pain?". I may have temporarily lost my ability to stay ladylike at that point. I had to go out for breath of fresh air and let my hubby do the talking.  If I had brought one of my dogs in to their vets after vomiting blood the whole staff would have suited up and rushed around in emergency mode. Now I'm in a strange city and I can't seem to find any rapport with the vets I've met so far. It must be me.

As for the x-rays, his office doesn't have the equipment. I would have liked to have known that before I had the first dental cleaning done... It might have saved us about 15 months of agony. 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohdearlordy.... I'm so sorry you are going through this. 

Of course a sore in the mouth isn't just "nothing", and if he'd "eaten some trash", it would have shown in the x-ray, as would any stomach blockages. 

Hopefully the dental experts will be more helpful.

I'm glad you were able to talk to an endocrinologist to get a better perspective on his symptoms.

I cannot believe this vet doesn't think your cat is in pain.  My head would explode too, and I would definitely be "gittin' my b**** on". 

When the blood panel comes back, ask for a copy of it.  It's yours, you paid for it, you can get a copy.  I almost always get a copy "for my files" (each pet has a med file).  Then, take a copy of those results when you finally consult with another vet.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the spot on his heart is not too serious. 

When my Pippen lost weight quickly, we had a hard time pinning it down.  There were only slight indications in his blood panel, but enough to do some further testing.  At first we thought it was pancreatitis, but those tests came back negative.  Then we tested his ALTs (for liver), and they were through the roof.  We did a biopsy, and were initially afraid it was cancer.  NOPE.  It was a nasty bacteria that set up residence there.  It didn't show up anywhere else. 

I'm not saying Karma might have liver issues, but this is what I meant before, when I said that the symptoms might be due to something different and you need someone who is willing to change course and look "outside the box".

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a hyperthyroid cat and 20mg (10mg 2x daily) is an almost unheard of dosage. What was this vet thinking - one would never begin a cat on a dosage this high - one begins with a lower dosage and retests and then readjusts dosage. I was on the yahoo group for hyperthyroid and they found my cat's daily dosage of 3.5mg 2x daily (7mg total daily) as somewhat high (even though it is required). I once talked to the pharmacist and my cat's dosage is certainly at the higher end of prescriptions that they had ever filled for a cat. For questions about hyperthyroid I would join the hyper-t yahoo group as they could really help you with this. Cats can react badly to tapazole and I would imagine even more so at those high dosages. Something sounds very wrong in how this has been handled by the vet.  

If a cat has one resorptive lesion, they are likely to have others and they can be incredibly painful. This could explain a lot of his issues. If you find a good vet, the vet might be willing to prescribe some buprenorphine (safe pain killer for cats) until you can sort out the issues.

I hope that the heart thing is nothing. I've had someone once spot a mass in my kitty that turned out to be nothing upon a followup xray interpretation and ultrasound so it may be nothing. 

Definitely find a good new vet to get a 2nd opinion. I would want to start with a new vet and sort out if your kitty really is hyper-t and begin to find the suitable dosage the way that it is usually done by most vets (starting lower, and gradually adjusting after retesting after about 3-4 weeks on the initial dosage). Then when he is stable, you can go in and see if more resorptive lesions need to be done - but a good vet would likely offer you some buprenorphine in the meantime to relieve the pain (again, this is probably the safest pain killer for a cat - I would not let the vet give you metacam or you risk kidney issues).

Good luck. I am sorry for the dreadful situation that you and your kitty have had to endure.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick note on Buprenorphine:  I agree that it is a good choice for most cats.  Unlike NSAIDS that target pain via the circulatory system, Buprenorphine/Buprenex is one of the opioids that targets pain via the central nervous system.  Knowing that, watch for any reactions carefully.  We have an older cat that had a reaction to it, so we ended up giving her Tramadol instead.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

A quick note on Buprenorphine:  I agree that it is a good choice for most cats.  Unlike NSAIDS that target pain via the circulatory system, Buprenorphine/Buprenex is one of the opioids that targets pain via the central nervous system.  Knowing that, watch for any reactions carefully.  We have an older cat that had a reaction to it, so we ended up giving her Tramadol instead.
Good point. Presumably the vet would discuss possible reactions with her - or at least I hope so. One needs a prescription for this so a vet by default would have to be very involved.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets---a lot of vets :/---do not know a ton about cats and don't bother themselves to learn.The majority of instruction they receive in vet school is for dog issues. I would definitely look for another vet, preferably a cat specialist.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really think this vet knows next to nothing about cats.  I don't know anything about hyperthyroidism other than classic symptoms which of course all cats don't have.  Constant hunger, eating yet loosing weight and caterwauling at night are the classic symptoms.  I do have a kitty that has had 2 teeth removed for FORL.  They aren't really sure what causes it.  It is very common for it to start in the roots.  That's why most vets that know cats will go ahead and do x-rays on all the teeth when they do a dental.  That way they can go ahead and remove the teeth where they can't see the FORL.  

I too think there is a misdiagnoses and the medication or at least the dosage of medication is wrong.  The medication along with a sore mouth could very well be causing him to be sick and anorexic. 

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I really think this vet knows next to nothing about cats.  I don't know anything about hyperthyroidism other than classic symptoms which of course all cats don't have.  Constant hunger, eating yet loosing weight and caterwauling at night are the classic symptoms.  I do have a kitty that has had 2 teeth removed for FORL.  They aren't really sure what causes it.  It is very common for it to start in the roots.  That's why most vets that know cats will go ahead and do x-rays on all the teeth when they do a dental.  That way they can go ahead and remove the teeth where they can't see the FORL.  

I too think there is a misdiagnoses and the medication or at least the dosage of medication is wrong.  The medication along with a sore mouth could very well be causing him to be sick and anorexic. 
I appreciate your thoughtful input, Denise.  I'll never understand why they didn't ask about his behavior, activity level, how much he normally ate, etc. Plus he was way too young. All the articles I saw were talking about cats that were seniors or geriatrics- not 4 year olds (he turned 5 last month).  So I did some research and found  medical journal articles about the rapid rise in thyroid levels during mild to moderate dehydration. The only times his T4 was actually high was during the visits he was brought in for sub-Q fluids. 

I don't know if he has FORL or something else wrong with his mouth (stomatitis? oral pain syndrome?), but I'm going to find out!  

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some vets---a lot of vets :/---do not know a ton about cats and don't bother themselves to learn.The majority of instruction they receive in vet school is for dog issues. I would definitely look for another vet, preferably a cat specialist.
Trust me, they can make plenty of mistakes on dogs, too, even though they do study dogs more. But I have gotten Karma an appointment with a kitty cat clinic!

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have a hyperthyroid cat and 20mg (10mg 2x daily) is an almost unheard of dosage. What was this vet thinking - one would never begin a cat on a dosage this high - one begins with a lower dosage and retests and then readjusts dosage. I was on the yahoo group for hyperthyroid and they found my cat's daily dosage of 3.5mg 2x daily (7mg total daily) as somewhat high (even though it is required). I once talked to the pharmacist and my cat's dosage is certainly at the higher end of prescriptions that they had ever filled for a cat. For questions about hyperthyroid I would join the hyper-t yahoo group as they could really help you with this. Cats can react badly to tapazole and I would imagine even more so at those high dosages. Something sounds very wrong in how this has been handled by the vet.  

If a cat has one resorptive lesion, they are likely to have others and they can be incredibly painful. This could explain a lot of his issues. If you find a good vet, the vet might be willing to prescribe some buprenorphine (safe pain killer for cats) until you can sort out the issues.

I hope that the heart thing is nothing. I've had someone once spot a mass in my kitty that turned out to be nothing upon a followup xray interpretation and ultrasound so it may be nothing. 

Definitely find a good new vet to get a 2nd opinion. I would want to start with a new vet and sort out if your kitty really is hyper-t and begin to find the suitable dosage the way that it is usually done by most vets (starting lower, and gradually adjusting after retesting after about 3-4 weeks on the initial dosage). Then when he is stable, you can go in and see if more resorptive lesions need to be done - but a good vet would likely offer you some buprenorphine in the meantime to relieve the pain (again, this is probably the safest pain killer for a cat - I would not let the vet give you metacam or you risk kidney issues).

Good luck. I am sorry for the dreadful situation that you and your kitty have had to endure.
Thanks for the tip about the hyper-t group.  Naturally, if he is hyperthyroid I want it treated effectively. The next vet is just going to have to show me the tests. I wouldn't have bred a dog without doing a complete thyroid screening panel. I don't know why I'm medicating a cat without having it done. I'm also thinking of a scintigraphy. I hate to put him through all this. He's been such a good boy about having things done. Getting an analgesic into him would be helpful. The poor little guy needs some relief. Right now he's stoned on catnip...  

ownedbykarma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Did the Tramadol have any effect on her appetite?