I'm a bad kitty mommy - corn chips

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a bowl of plain ol corn chips and hummus that I was eating last night while sitting with the Squeaky Deaky. She kept nosing the bowl, so I thought, why not give her a little piece to try. So I broke of a little piece, she ate it and immediately demanded more. Of course, I kept giving her little pieces, probably the equivilent of half a chip

I know I'm a bad kitty mommy *hangs head in shame* but is it ok to give her small pieces of chips every once in awhile? I know I'm not giving her any hummus - no need for a tooty kitty

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tiny piece or two won't hurt, just remember that chips are usually loaded with sodium.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad.... I do the same.... my kitties get tiny pieces of cheese, and some other tiny pieces of human food treats.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like cheese and potato chips too! Of course I don't give them much, but neither one like packaged cat treats.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny how they like weird stuff like corn chips. I was also eating hummus and corn chips (yum!) and a few of mine stole the chips. One would distract me while the other swiped a chip off the table.....smart cats!

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL!

I am a bad kitty mommy too. My little Emma, our 1 year old white girl. Will eat ANYTHING. So unfortunately it has become a little game of "Will she eat this?" Now I steer clear of garlic, onion, avocado and other things that are bad for cats. But I think I have create a monster.

Neither of the other two will even look sideways at people food, except beef jerky. (they do not get much at all. TINY sliver when DH has it) But Emma will steal Cheetos, bread, crackers, corn chips, pretzels, Parmesan cheese. The list goes on.

It is because of this cat that I know have to keep all food in the pantry and the kitchen SPOTLESS!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have food inspectors in my house - aka my foster gang. Several of them gladly helped me eat my turkey sandwich at lunch today!

One time - big fluffy black cat Archie glomped onto my chicken salad croissant while I was distracted and tore off a big piece and gobbled it down before I could stop him -lettuce, tomato and all.

I prefer not to give them human food much at all. I don't want them to become beggars or make them sick.

Oh --- almost forgot - they like yogurt and vanilla ice cream, too.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yarra

It is because of this cat that I know have to keep all food in the pantry and the kitchen SPOTLESS!
I have to do this, too! One time I had a big loaf of french bread on the counter not even thinking a cat could be interested.

I came home to the bag open and a big hole in the middle of the bread!

Another time she took a donut out of a box and licked all the powdered sugar off it.

So my kitchen has no food out now..lol

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetKara

I have to do this, too! One time I had a big loaf of french bread on the counter not even thinking a cat could be interested.

I came home to the bag open and a big hole in the middle of the bread!

Another time she took a donut out of a box and licked all the powdered sugar off it.

So my kitchen has no food out now..lol
LOL!! The hole in the middle of a loaf of bread! I SOOO know this! That is exactly what I am talking about!

I have to keep bags of chips, and cat food (etc) put up to. She eats RIGHT through plastic to get at the food. Her momma (who was a foster kittie of ours) did the same thing, except she would drag the loaf of bread into the middle of the living room first. THEN eat a hole through the bag and bread. lol I should have known her daughter would follow in her footsteps!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn. I knew I should not have read this thread.... now I'm totally craving corn chips.

No food is ever left out over here - my scavenger kitty, Spencer, does not believe that "species-inappropriate" foods exist.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The funny thing is that Punkin will not EAT any human food. Nothing.

But he wants to come into the kitchen and be SHOWN what we're eating, anyway.

We refer to it as "making an offering to the kitchen god."

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scarlett is my junk food kid and she prefers salty things. Heaven forbid that I pull out a bag of chips and not give her a snippet of one of them. She ate a pumpkin seed the other day.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Scarlett is my junk food kid and she prefers salty things. Heaven forbid that I pull out a bag of chips and not give her a snippet of one of them. She ate a pumpkin seed the other day.
I love it!!

My Emma is just as goofy! She ate a green bean once.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
many times a cat wanting a weird food is a sign it should be checked out by the vet ... sometimes of course it is just a craving for junk like a human///

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

many times a cat wanting a weird food is a sign it should be checked out by the vet ... sometimes of course it is just a craving for junk like a human///
Thanks Sharky for that. They all go in reguarly. She doesn't crave it per-say...I just ruined it by giving it to her in the begining. She never asked for it until I introduced her to it. Now she is just a junky. So I try to be really careful with what I treat her with. Try to keep it as plain, salt free as possible. And she only gets TINY tidbits here and there. Truly, I am not sure why she trys so hard for them! lol