If Your Cat Wants Out....

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t let him or her out.

Our one year old calico, Kaia, wanted out like I’ve never seen a cat want out before. She put holes in the screen trying to open it, and tore the weather stripping apart. Early July I decided I’d just let her out, I was feeling guilty making her stay in against her will because of my own human selfishness. So I bought a leash and harness and she went out on a leash. My kids and I walked her every day for a while but she wanted to be out ALL the time. Eventually we just let her out. We live on a dirt road out in the country, quiet and I thought safe. I notified our neighbours so they knew who’s cat she was. Our chickens free range all day and we have never had a predator, so I thought we were ok in that area too.

Kaia did great initially. Always came running when we called her, always came home by evening and we kept her in at night. Until yesterday. Kaia was last seen at home around 2pm, and then she disappeared. It is now 7am and no sign of her. I have a good feeling something bad has happened, but I don’t know what or where. She wasn’t hit by a car as we have checked the road. I fear she’s trapped somewhere or an animal got her. She was very friendly and would go up to anyone or anything.

I feel sick about this. I made the wrong decision and learned a hard lesson. Our other cat, Binx, will never go out. He doesn’t want out like she did. He’s happy inside for the most part. Please don’t let your cats out. For those who do, and your cats manage to have long lives....you are just lucky.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, no. :alright: But it's not been 24 hours yet, so don't give up on her. :hearthrob:

BTW, I know what it's like to have a cat that insists on going outside. My family had a couple like that many years ago.

Unfortunately, one was hit by a car before his 1st birthday. :sniffle:

We did, however, have another cat that loved being outside, and once she didn't come home and my Mom found her injured under our back steps. Another time she got locked in our own shed, and was looking out the window the next morning. And another time she was gone for more that 24 hours, but did eventually come home. No idea where she was that time. She definitely used every one of her 9 lives, but did end up living till almost 20.

So though the odds aren't good for indoor/outdoor cats, sometimes not coming home doesn't mean tragedy.

Here's a TCS article with some ideas that might be helpful: Help! My Cat Is Lost!

One idea that's worked for others, is playing the sounds of a cat meowing, growling, hissing, yowling, etc. on your phone as you search for the lost cat. Sometimes they'll respond when they hear it.

Good luck. I hope Kaia comes home soon. :hearthrob:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, what a relief. Usually they'll come down on their own. Maybe try enticing her with something yummy like tuna.

And once that pretty kitty is back safe and sound in your arms, tell her rules have changed, and she's an indoor only cat now.

Here's a few TCS articles you can read to her:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside.
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Is a catio an option?
Cat Enclosures | TheCatSite

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! Thank goodness she is fine.
Yep, I also suggest that you keep her only indoors unless on a leash.

BTW, is your cat spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to coax her down low enough to get her. She held onto my shirt until o was low enough to pass her to my daughter. I’m glad Kaia is so trusting. She’s fine except for one nail that was pulled out.
Yes. She is indoors only now! Lesson learned! Just relieved she is ok.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, and yes she is spayed. And up to date on shots.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with many cats who were allowed outdoors. Most never lived past three because they were hit by cars or simply disappeared. With the rise of predators like coyotes and others it is now even more dangerous outside. Stick to your guns and make her an indoor only unless you are able to build a safe enclosure aka catio for her.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will definitely work on getting my husband to build a catio for them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was able to coax her down low enough to get her. She held onto my shirt until o was low enough to pass her to my daughter. I’m glad Kaia is so trusting. She’s fine except for one nail that was pulled out.
Yes. She is indoors only now! Lesson learned! Just relieved she is ok.
So glad she's safe and sound, with just a small injury. Sending vibes her nail heals quickly. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Plus hugs for you, and your precious Kaia. :grouphug: :catlove: :hearthrob:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found Kaia so (relatively) quickly, Erin80 Erin80 , and that she's okay! Years ago I lost a very sweet cat who used to get out of the house -- I've never let a cat out since.

If you happen to have a deck, maybe you could build a catio under it? That's what my husband did for our cats. It's very nice and overengineered to be very sturdy since there are foxes, raccoons, skunks, and other cats in the neighborhood but: it has cedar floors, double screen, and some climbing posts. We humans love it, too! I think our cats would also love some of the window boxes I've seen pictures of: they're smaller but our cats are happy as long as they have a good view of birds and chipmunks.
Cats.Veranda.jpg

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are very happy to hear that you found your cat I am still writing something that you might not want to hear.

I have 2 cats and live in an area with only a few dangers so I let my cats out. We live on the second floor but I trained my cats to go out every day by themselves or together. At first always with a leash but not anymore.

I have been to some shelters and animal rescue places where the cats never ever get outside and they seem to be under a sad spell.

A happy cat eats sleeps grooms and hunts.

It broke my heart keeping my cats inside an apartment ( even though it has a decent size ) for the rest of their life.

Walking out with your cat on a leash is not only the safest compromise but it is cheap.

You'll need to be patient unlike dogs when on a leash cats do a lot of standing and observing but they love to smell everything it is like reading a newspaper for them on what happened but rest assured that your cat will be very happy.

In my opinion if you take 10- 15 min a day to walk your cat is the best of both worlds and you can watch your cat at all times.

On Amazon you'll find some excellent leashes and holsters one of them is called kitty holster.

If you make a habit to go out every day, once a day is enough, but always go out around your house so the cat learns his surroundings. Better yet try to let him lead where to go once you get out of the door.

My cats are chipped and sterilized both male and female have an elastic collar with a tag just in case. They are given pipettes against fleas during the summer. I let them out only after they eat ( so they do not go looking for food ).

If you let your cat out another important thing to do is to take out the little bell that often is attached to the elastic/ break away collar because it will advertise the cat position to both humans and animals some of them are very unfriendly. With the bell the cat is exposed to dangers and his natural ability to move stealthy is taken away. Not good.

I let my cats go out during the day or even at night because their vision is better and there are less people, dogs and cars and noises and yet I know that every time they go out something might happen. The male is 8 and the female is 5 until now ( I cross fingers ) nothing bad ever happened.

Even today the male cat has been out all day no idea where he is or what is doing and yes it makes me feel sick. I hope he'll come back soon.

In the house there is literally zero entertainment for them since it is not needed. I had it before but after going out they do not care at all about toys.

When they go in the garden they like to ambush each other, chase birds and lizards and everything that moves. They like to hide, eat grass, dig holes and climb on trees ( at my expenses since at times I worry ). Other times they just sit or nap under the sun for a while and do not really go anywhere at all. Both cats are balanced and happy and to me this is priceless and totally worth it.

I totally understand that letting the cat out alone it is just too much and it is too stressful, maybe you might consider walking him out on a leash :-)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to talk to the owner of the dog. Dogs kill chickens. Even tame house dogs will kill chickens if they get the chance. In rural areas chickens are considered to be livestock and dogs that kill livestock are usually destroyed the same as a predator would be. Often once a dog starts on chickens they then go after other things. We had a group of dogs form pack, and they were not feral dogs, and they killed a flock of sheep. They were hunted down by the game warden and sheriff and all shot. So dogs running loose can be a problem even in rural areas.