If you have to pee just go wherever you want, ugh.....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days ago I was laying on the sofa watching tv and I heard that familiar sound of a cat peeing and sure enough Slim was just standing there peeing on the air conditioner that we store next to the fireplace when not in the window. They seem to pee on that over the years, it must be that they smell the outside on it or some other stupid reason but this has happened many times. We even tried to cover it this year with plastic garbage bags but that is a nuisance so we took that off and spray it with some chemical spray we bought to clean up cat pee. Slim has done things like this in the past so it didn't surprise me, he is fine, no physical issue just nuts lol! He sometimes I think sees stray cats out the window and I think this is his reasoning but whatever it is it is so annoying.

This morning Deb said one of them had peed on the newspapers set on top of the dining room table. About an hour ago she is yelling at Sylvester as he was just peeing on the wall by the heat vent. He was just at the vet last month for his haircut and a checkup and he is running around playing like crazy so I doubt there is any physical issue with him either. But I must say last week he and Stanley got into a heckuva roll around wrestling fight, I even had a tough time breaking them up, we NEVER had any cats act like that with each other, so I don't know if he feels stressed or if he is marking his territory? We were out of Feliway but we got that last week and plugged it in, it helps somewhat but what the heck is up with this????

It must be stress or mental issues as they seem just fine physically, but come on now......:nono: :gaah:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat urine smell can last forever if you don't eradicate it. So, problem number 1. Territorial issues can be another issue, especially with stray cats outside. They can cause indoor cats to negatively react to one another.

But, peeing on newspapers is an altogether different thing. These cats are stressed, and perhaps because of that they are ill. Running around like crazy doesn't eliminate illness.

I would gather they are neutered. If not, part of your problem. If so, if there has not been a urinalysis performed on both of them, that might be a place to start. There is a lot more to peeing issues than just a UTI. Such as a stress/anxiety related environment.

Yelling at cats for doing something you don't like actually works in the opposite direction towards resolution.

You sound very frustrated, and that can also be felt by your cats and affect their behavior.

Perhaps, more information on them - their ages, their medical backgrounds, things that are going on in your home that are different than they once were would be helpful pieces of the puzzle.

Right now, I would point toward stress/anxiety, not mental illness, in your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah it's stress for some reason. Sylvester and Stanley never did see eye to eye but last week that was a horrible thing to witness, Stan was laying on the sofa and I noticed Sylvester on the floor just staring at him, then I saw Stan standing up staring down at him, I was on the floor doing some physical therapy exercises so I saw part of this and told Ves "leave him alone Ves", but a few seconds later there was this screaming and carrying on and they were rolling around on the floor fighting to the point that I had a hard time breaking them up! I also witness them charging each other at times, then other times they are side by side eating or laying on the sofa together :headscratch:

The only thing different is that I am now back to working every day, I was laid off in late March and was home a lot more but in August I took a part time job that the hours are just increasing every week (which is what I want) so I am not home as much, for me and Deb it is a great thing but maybe for Sylvester it isn't? But he was used to me working everyday for years. But nothing else has changed, things are actually looking better than they have in 8 months, and he acts just fine otherwise as well as does Slim who has a habit of peeing and you are right there are spots in the wood stove room that we constantly have to battle to keep the smell away, once one starts the others will go there too, but he is fine, very affectionate to me, follows me like a dog actually, loves his haircuts and he got one last month but he does seem to get more of an attitude after them and at times we see him "picking" on a few of the others, don't know if he thinks he is the boss of the house or what but we put a stop to it when we see it.

And we do add the urinary dry food to their dry food on a regular basis so I doubt it is any UTI or blockage, they just are acting wacky for some reason, the change of seasons perhaps? We also try to keep up with the litter boxes so they are clean for them but maybe sometimes they aren't? And they are all neutered and spayed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
loves his haircuts and he got one last month but he does seem to get more of an attitude after them and at times we see him "picking" on a few of the others, don't know if he thinks he is the boss of the house or what but we put a stop to it when we see it.
Simple thing, and I am sure you already know it - but any time one of them goes in for a vet visit, haircut, etc.- anything that could make them smell differently can cause conflict until the 'strange' smell goes away. That would seem to be just one of many issues, but can't be discounted as having added to the complication.

Work schedule changes in humans do affect some cats more than others - it is just a matter of routine changes that can 'freak out' some cats. They seem small to us (more or less), but cats can really see them as big things.

Hope other members come along with some better thoughts than mine!!