if you hate scorpions don't look

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about scorpions...except that they make some good music.
There's no need to be afraid of anything like that. But unfortunately, people tend to fear what they don't understand. The only thing I will kill are recluse spiders - they're too dangerous, abundant, harder to catch, and really aren't that beneficial. I relocate widow spiders (they're easier to catch, too).

Several years ago I saved a little scorpion like the one in the picture from a couple of boys who were tormenting it. They had dug it out of it's hibernating spot and being October already I wasn't going to just let it go so it could die. Under my care, and regular meals, she had babies.
She got very used to me, I could touch her and the only time her tail came up is after I gave her a cricket. The dang thing got so lazy that I'd tap on the glass and she'd come out and raise her little pincers up for her dinner - I'd then hand her stunned crickets.

I've never seen a rattlesnake outside of a zoo. Not even an old shed. Considering where I live, I find that very disturbing. I can only imagine all the round ups are causing a lot of damage to the population.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Several years ago I saved a little scorpion like the one in the picture from a couple of boys who were tormenting it. They had dug it out of it's hibernating spot and being October already I wasn't going to just let it go so it could die. Under my care, and regular meals, she had babies.
She got very used to me, I could touch her and the only time her tail came up is after I gave her a cricket. The dang thing got so lazy that I'd tap on the glass and she'd come out and raise her little pincers up for her dinner - I'd then hand her stunned crickets.
Awww! That sounds so cute. I love scorpions. Do you have any pictures of her?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Ewwwww!!! It wouldn't have been alive long enough for me to take a picture of it if it were in my house
I would kill that thing so fast it wouldn't know what hit it!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EeeeeeeeeEEEEeeEWWWwwwwW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can SEE THROUGH IT! Looks like a friggen alien.

Says the girl who doesn't run when there is a bee around.

I am not phased by any bugs in my neck of the woods besides slugs, and that's only because I stepped on one bafefoot before (was on porch), so gross I took a shower.

*twitch twitch*

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ARGHHHH... At 7:30am this morning Forrest was next to my bed with a "twig" in his mouth. He should not be playing with that so I got up and pulled it out. It was a freaking SCORPION. I've never flung something out of my hand so fast before. My husband then got up and flushed it down the toilet. I was too upset.

It's been raining here in Austin the past few days and we always get a few in our house after the rain. I just wasn't expecting it to find one in his mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well at least you're letting me know to watch out for them when it starts raining around here! LOL. I love the rain but not the scorpions! I've been watching where I walk since I found it. I've never seen any after a rain, then again I moved to Austin back in early May when it stopped raining. I usually just see a few silverfish in the house, but I haven't lately. I would have been freaked out if I pulled one out of my cat's mouth. Luckily my cat was just hopping around batting at the one I found.

I talked to my sister in Bryan and she told me her cat Lexi seems to be able to smell them because she's always the one that finds them and starts playing with them at her house. They've gotten kinda bad there the last few years. When I was in high school I remember killing 3 on 3 days in a row and our cat Sabrina was the one that alerted us to all of them. Maybe they can sniff them out, I have no idea!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am North-Eastern. Snakes and spiders I can take but scorpions? AAAAAH. Run away...runaway!

I know I am ignorant of about them, but AHHHHH, run away.