if you hate scorpions don't look

fuzzles

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
528
Reaction score
5
Location
Austin, Texas
Look what I just found my cat playing with in the office! OMG I have chills still running down my body.



Luckily she didn't get stung by it. But I did have to throw her in the next room to keep her from playing with it while I went and found a shoe to hit it with. I hope there aren't more of them. I really dislike them even though I don't know what a sting feels like from one of them. The quarter is there for my sister. She wanted to know how big it was.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

fuzzles

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
528
Reaction score
5
Location
Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Looks like a Bark Scorpion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion

Good thing your cat didn't get stung, the venom can be fatal to small animals.
Oh no! That's scary if it really is one of those. I just hope it doesn't have any more friends in the house or babies even. I just need to stop thinking about it :-/
 

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
839
Reaction score
1
Location
Portmouth


Oh my goodness eeek.. i would have to run a mile if i saw that like for real lol , i cant deal withe bugs like that lol!
Jess x
 

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
7,724
Reaction score
14
Location
Michigan
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Sounds it would be a good idea to call an exterminator to inspect the house.
I would agree. You don't want to get stung, nor do you want that to happen to your cat!!!
 

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
469
Reaction score
12
My cats used to kill those ALL the time when we first moved into our newly built house (in Texas). Scorpions hide in the rolls of insulation during the building process, only to come out weeks/months later looking for water and food. My cats were never stung, and they killed 8-10 of them--usually during the night.

I don't know if I'd go to the extreme of contaminating your (and your cat's) whole environment with neurotoxins in the offchance that there are a few more in the house.

Good luck with the critters.

Cally
 

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
17,482
Reaction score
17
Location
Birmingham
The only venomous scorpions known in Texas are the Stripeback Scorpions. If thats what that is, then heres some info on him.

http://www.venombyte.com/venom/scorp...s_by_state.asp

There seems to be some varied opinions about the potential danger of the Stripebacked Scorpion. Some claim it to be harmless, while others have reported it's sting as extremely painful and potentially dangerous.
 

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
5,299
Reaction score
1
Location
Secret Santa Land
How scary! Don't forget the rattlesnakes in many areas such as yours. Around here they hang out in garages when it is too hot.
 

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Apr 26, 2001
Messages
23,309
Reaction score
64
Location
Ingersoll, ON
Give me the cold climate of Canada and no scorpions, rattle snakes, hurricanes, earthquakes or tornadoes (well the odd little tornado rolls through every blue moon).
 

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
469
Reaction score
12
I think the main problem or danger with the Texas scorpions like the one in the photo is if you happen to be someone who is allergic to the venom. My friend's son was stung twice on the leg within seconds this summer while at camp. Twelve hours on ice and some pain killer took care of the sting with no big problem. As much as it would hurt kitty (and that WOULD be upsetting), it would likely not be fatal.

Cally
 

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
isn't that scarest thing? When I moved into my old house in southern utah (which we had built) I woke up the first night to find my cat batting at one in the corner of my room...I freaked out, I grabbed oliver and we slept in the living room lol and of course, I being the coward I am, I made my little brother take care of it, took me a week to feel safe in my room again
 

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
13,498
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Sounds like it would be a good idea to call an exterminator to inspect the house.
There's likely not anymore. This time of year one or two may find it's way inside looking for a place to stay for the winter. I've noticed they also do this when there's a drought and they're looking for water.


They're nothing to worry about and as far as scorpions go, and are fairly docile - a female carrying her young won't even try to defend herself or young. The cat wasn't stung because they try to avoid wasting a sting on something that cannot eat. Wasted venom could mean that it might starve later.
I've found several in the house over the years and have never killed them - there's no reason to. Instead I scoop them up and take them to a nice place outside where they will have cover - they'll only dehydrate and starve in the house.
Unfortunately I've found one that was unlucky enough to have been found by the cats before me. They beat it to death.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #17

fuzzles

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
528
Reaction score
5
Location
Austin, Texas
It rained a little bit today for the first time in a few months it seems. I was thinking that's why they were on the move. I checked facebook this morning and my cousin that lives 2 hours away woke up to one crawling on her neck. Ewwww. She didn't get stung but it freaked her out. It would freak me out too! It's just a weird coincidence that we both saw one on the same day.
 

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Messages
3,611
Reaction score
2
Location
Cincinnati
Originally Posted by strange_wings

There's likely not anymore. This time of year one or two may find it's way inside looking for a place to stay for the winter. I've noticed they also do this when there's a drought and they're looking for water.


They're nothing to worry about and as far as scorpions go, and are fairly docile - a female carrying her young won't even try to defend herself or young. The cat wasn't stung because they try to avoid wasting a sting on something that cannot eat. Wasted venom could mean that it might starve later.
I've found several in the house over the years and have never killed them - there's no reason to. Instead I scoop them up and take them to a nice place outside where they will have cover - they'll only dehydrate and starve in the house.
Unfortunately I've found one that was unlucky enough to have been found by the cats before me. They beat it to death.
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about scorpions...except that they make some good music.
 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
12,578
Reaction score
110
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by butzie

How scary! Don't forget the rattlesnakes in many areas such as yours. Around here they hang out in garages when it is too hot.
Pretty much all Americans live with rattlesnakes. In fact, they occur from southern Canada on south, with only Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Delaware not having any reported.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #20

fuzzles

TCS Member
Thread starter
Alpha Cat
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
528
Reaction score
5
Location
Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Pretty much all Americans live with rattlesnakes. In fact, they occur from southern Canada on south, with only Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Delaware not having any reported.
I actually didn't know that. I thought they were just a southern thing. Interesting!
 
Top