If You Had Been a Boy/Girl

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of piggybacking off of today's Question of the Day...

Do you know what your parents would have named you? Or, if you currently have a kid, what would you have named them if they had been born the opposite sex?

I would have been Timothy Scott. I do have a brother, whose name is not Timothy Scott, so I don't know why my parents never kept that name for him! I like the name a lot.

B would have been Jessica. He doesn't know what middle name. His middle name was almost Paul, but his dad talked his mom into giving him his first name as a middle name.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom would have named my older sister Benjamin, she always loved that name. I'm not sure if I would have also been named that as well. But of course, my aunt's first born was a boy, and she used it. :rolleyes3: Not that it mattered really, as my mom stopped at 2, and we are both girls, but still...when she first heard it, it did irk her a bit....my aunt was always a bit too "one up'y" with my mom. They got along but the competitiveness was really annoying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been Kristoffer, not sure if they had a middle name picked out yet, probably my dad's name because in our family the oldest boy always has their dad's name as their middle name. Since my name is similar to that, they didn't use it for my brother.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents considered the name Jeffrey for all three of us. My sister is Amanda but she refuses to use that and strictly goes by Mandee. My brother ended up being Kevin though. I remember when my mom was pregnant with him we took a vote what name to go with, Kevin or Jeffrey, and my mom was the only one who voted for Jeffrey.

If my brother were a girl, he would have been Sarah, although my mom was really hoping my dad would change his mind and let her go with her favorite name, Amelia. My sister named her youngest daughter Amelia though. My older niece is Noelle and that was another name my mom was considering for my sister. Another girl name my parents were considering for me was Taryn. I'm glad they went with Alyssa, especially since I was the only Alyssa in my graduating class but I would have been one of two Taryns.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everyone thought I was going to be a boy and my name was going to be Christopher. No offense to any Christophers here; but no thank you. :lol:

I have a boy and girl; so I got to use my top names for each kid. Thankfully DH agreed to my choices. My favorite boy names are Joshua and Nicholas. But one is a nephew who was around before DH and I met and the other is my cousin's name. That could have been awkward if he'd wanted to name his own son after himself. DH's top choice for DS was Abraham and he wanted to call him Abe. I was 220% against that. Looking back it REALLY doesn't fit DS. My other choice was to name DS after DH; but I knew far ahead of time that DH was really opposed to having a junior. It would have been a good name for him; but I saw DH's point about the confusion having a junior can create.

We never really talked names until we knew what we were having so I didn't have backup names really. We had nice clear ultrasounds with both kids too. There was no room for doubt. ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was to be named Claire until my sister, who was two, told the neighbour that her baby sister was called Chocolate Eclair.
That is ADORABLE and hilarious!! :flail:

My old boss' grandson told everyone his baby brother was going to be named Jeff Gordon. They did actually name him Jeffery! But not Jeffery Gordon. :crazy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone whose boys are named Jack Daniel and Samuel Adam :cringe: . I guess they have the benefit of having "normal" names and nobody needs to know their middle names, but ugh.

My name is spelled unusually and I don't mind it too much. Sure, everyone misspells it and I never find any personalized products, but it's not terrible. I don't like it when names aren't spelled the way they're pronounced though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone whose boys are named Jack Daniel and Samuel Adam :cringe: . I guess they have the benefit of having "normal" names and nobody needs to know their middle names, but ugh.

My name is spelled unusually and I don't mind it too much. Sure, everyone misspells it and I never find any personalized products, but it's not terrible. I don't like it when names aren't spelled the way they're pronounced though.
My stepdad knew a couple who had twin boys named Harley and Davidson. Yes, they were bikers...no, it doesn't make the names any better, lol!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have been Wyatt or Micah, which is pretty morbid considering those are the names of my deceased brothers. They died two years before I was born when they were a couple of days old. All of my sisters were supposed to be either Wyatt or Micah had they been males.

I was originally named Sunshine Morticia Erin Faith Last Name. "Sunshine" was to "brighten" Morticia. 1) I am not a sunny person. 2) I have a type of allergy to the sun (hereditary polymorphous light eruption)that makes me break out in welts, feel overwhelmingly unwell with a headache, and vomit. Thankfully, my grandmother came up with a better name. Not a good name, but better. She always said that she wished she knew they were going to go with the name she selected because she would have given me a better one. Her main choices were Elinore and Sorcha. My one sister was either going to be Brandice Olivia Ann Frances Xavier Cabrini or Prudence Ann Frances Xavier Cabrini. A song changed my father's mind. She still has "Ann Frances Xavier Cabrini" as her middle names, though.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum was so sure that I was a girl when she was pregnant with me, that she didn't even bother to consider any boy's names - it's lucky she was a good guesser! :lol: If I hadn't been named Alice, though, I would've been Luisa, but she also considered Isabel and Olivia/Liv for me.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just as well I wasn't a boy - I would have been called Stafford! Gillian is bad enough, particularly in Germany where it is considered a man's name (based on the "an" at the end).

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tremble in horror if I had been born as a girl...my parents named my sister Winifred uurrrggghh....what would have they named me?
(She changed her name to her second name when she was very young)

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents didn't have a boy name picked out for me, or a girl's name for my oldest brother (though both of our names are considered unisex in different places). They wanted to name my other older brother Nicole. I came along a couple of years later and I guess their like for that name wore off, as I am not a Nicole!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom hadn't decided on a name for me when I was born and a nurse suggested Angela. I go by Angie. The rest is history. :lol: I've since been told I would have been Eva had thought of it. I am going to ask her the question of what if I had been a boy. Never thought of asking.

I love Biblical boy names, so if I'd had children I might have gone with Ezra for a boy. A girl would have probably gotten a cow name like Daisy or Elsie - two of my cats! (No offense if you are named either - IMHO, stereotypical cow names are pretty.)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad wanted to name me Natasha. I'm not sure about boy names, I'll have to ask them...

If I had a daughter I would have named her Gracie, boy would have been Holden.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My parents desperately wanted a boy when I was born (I really think Mom held that against me until the day she died). I don't know what they would have named me.

I wanted a boy when our son was born; he was to be named after his father and grandfather. There was a woman at the hospital where I worked at the time, whom I really didn't like and who kept telling me I was going to have a girl. I guess it had something to do with the way I was carrying the baby. For months, I listened to her tell everybody and anybody that I was going to have a girl. "Just look at her! You can tell! I'm always right!" I let it go, but I knew HE was going to be a boy.

Come time for me to go to the hospital; my GF and co-worker was working that day. Well, everybody was all giddy because I was going to have my GIRL. Deb stayed with me (along with Rick and my dad) and when the doctor said that it was a boy, Rick said that she literally dropped to her knees and said, "Thank you, Lord!" And then she went downstairs and said, "Pam had a boy!" Then she looked at the woman and said, "And now, you shut up! It's a boy!"

And he has his dad's name. We never picked out any girls' names because....well, I wasn't having a girl. I just wasn't.