Cat suddenly stopped eating her favourite food

Kentucky Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old kitty, we call her Little Bit, that has had food issues since the day we adopted her. We tried many of the better quality brands. But she continued to vomit most meals up. I took her to the vet. As we were told when we adopted her, she possibly had some sinus or maybe an allergy issue. I discussed this with our vet. ex-Rays showed no blockages in nasal or throat that might be causing vomiting. She was put on Purina HA prescription dry food. She immediately liked it. And held it down. But within less than 2 months, the vomiting began again. After researching similar issues on websites, I began to think it might be a sensitive stomach problem. Fast forward, she has been on Royal Canine for Sensitive Stomach kitty's for a few months now. All vomiting has stopped.
Treats have been offered to her over the past 10 months. She never was even tempted to eat one. She had no interest in them at all. They would just lay on the floor all day. We have tried all flavors of Temptations Treats. Now here is where I am totally at my whits end with worry! :confused: A few days ago we offered our other cat, 6 yr old Freddy, his normal 2 or 3 treat morsels on the floor. Out of the blue, Little Bit ate one. Just one! Since that moment, she refuses to eat her nutritious food. She will sniff at it, eat just a few morsels. And stop. If I hide a couple of the treats in her normal food, she will nose around in her bowl, eat the treats and stop. I have never experienced such a sudden change such as this. Before this incident, she loved her Royal Canine Diet. She is 12 lbs. and is built rather small. Is this temporary and she will go back to her regular diet on her own? I am paranoid and worried sick over this. We had a 13 year old male cat that we loved so much. In January 2019, he stopped eating as much as normal. It got worse. And one week later we had to put him down. So I could be making a big thing out of nothing. She seems herself in every other way. Thanks in advance for comments and or suggestions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Is this temporary and she will go back to her regular diet on her own?
Possibly, but maybe try changing things up.

Try putting small amounts of her food, on a flat paper plate and other different types of bowls and dishes, in all sorts of unusual places in the house over a few days.

If you don't see improvement in her eating habits you may want to talk with your vet and see what they think.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it her RC food is dry, not canned - yes? You could either 1.) ask the vet about another brand (e.g. Hill's, Purina, Blue Buffalo) that is for sensitive stomachs and mix a little bit it with her RC to see if she would eat if that way, or 2.) buy some of the canned RC for sensitive stomachs and mix it with the dry. Maybe just a slight change like this would get her back to eating her dry RC as she used to, and - hopefully - not disrupt her stomach in the meantime.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has a very sensitive tummy. I try one food,think it's working, then vomiting starts again so I switch to a different food that seems to work,then the vomiting starts again. Now she is on Rawz Turkey and chicken. So far so good. No corn,wheat,soy,green mussles, and no gums. She is fed very small amounts many times a day. Plus probiotic( still searching for a good brand). Some reason, Tiki After Dark chicken,quail and egg seems to help She is eating so much better. I keep saying"I'm gunna make you fat" joking of course. Small cat 7 pds. Light as a feather.

Last edited: