if a rocking recliner isn't used, is it still safe?

katsup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I have a VERY old rocking recliner that I took in after my grandfather passed away. Nobody uses it so I'm not terribly worried about the reclining aspect. However, my rather shy cat loves to hide under it if there's noise from outside and recently I cleaned the area and moved everything around but now my more rambunctious cat likes to jump on it, making it rock pretty heavily and I'm worried about what would happen if he does that and she's hiding under there (he's like 18 pounds, big boy).

I shoved a pillow and book down there hoping maybe it will stop some of the rocking and maybe stop her from going under there but I know how stubborn they are and there's really no stopping them in my experience. Is this enough? Will the rocking hurt her while she's in there? (the back part shouldn't be able to get low enough to crush a tail anyways but I'm concerned about the inside parts). I have a pretty big attachment to this chair but I have nowhere else to put it, but I don't want to constantly be stressing out about them either.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at a library when I was young. I yelled s##$. People laughed. I somehow pinched my arm or leg hard. I would say no,recliners are not safe. I got rid of an old chair with handles because my cat wrapped her arms around and somehow got stuck. Yelling in pain and I couldn't help without hurting her more. Highly unlikely he can move a heavy book so that should work

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that it may have sentimental value. But if the humans aren't using it, then perhaps you should find another home for the recliner. In my experience, if the humans don't use it, they won't notice its disrepair and the hazard it presents to the nonhumans quite like they would if they were using it all the time. I use a rocker with an ottoman. The "under" is open. Takes me a split second to look under before sitting in it to make sure there isn't a tail in peril. There are no other moving parts to pinch or crush a cat.

I use the Poang rocking chair with ottoman. The only hazard it presents is to tails and that's easy enough to do a tail check before sitting down.
POÄNG Series Arm & Rocking Chairs

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't any reason why a reclining chair would go bad just from disuse.

If it's seen abuse or neglect, that's one thing but just sitting in a corner won't harm it.
There is furniture that's over one hundred years old that is still in good use, today. There's no reason why your chair shouldn't be sound.

However, if there is a concern, flip the chair upside down (on its side?) and check underneath. Look to be sure that the wood is in good condition and check the mechanism for loose, broken or rusted parts. Have somebody do it for you if you can't do it yourself. Once you've determined that the chair is sound, go ahead and use it.

I agree that rocking chairs can be hazardous to cats but, if you are careful, that shouldn't be a problem.

Most cats are smart enough to know (or learn) that chairs can be bad places to hide.

Like daftcat75 daftcat75 says, just make a quick check to be sure that there are no cats underneath before you sit down.
After a few times of being shooed out, your cat will learn to stay away.

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can, wedge the chair up against a wall so it can not rock. If you can not or do not wish to do that, you can use a book or a door jamb (looks like a wedge) that you can use to jam the rocker to where it does not move. Understand that if the chair is not used by a human, you might have it turn into a scratching post also.

Good luck.