If a kitten with worms is wormed, will the worms be visible in stool?

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol let's see if I can fit the word "worm" into the title one more time 😜

So, my question is basically the title. If a kitten who has worms is wormed, will there be evidence of worms in its stool?

I was concerned about possible worms in my 12 week old kitten but his fecal done 3 weeks ago was clear (although I know those can give false negatives). He has had smelly poops that are often very light in color-almost gray. He also is very skinny, his body condition looks almost more like a geriatric cat than a little kitten. He was wormed at his vet visit on Tuesday, and I brought up his symptoms with the vet; he wasn't super concerned. He said it could indicate an absorption issue but the kitten is actually gaining more weight than average, more than one pound a month so he is probably fine, although he did agree that he was skinny.

So I was just wondering if I'd see evidence of worms if he'd had them. He had diarrhea twice on Tuesday night, solid poops Wednesday, solid poops this morning, and suddenly total diarrhea this afternoon. I will admit I looked through his poops and didn't see any worms, would I if he had had them? Thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be a more persistent (and less visible) parasite than worms, such as giardia or coccidia. Ask your vet about doing a round of Metronidazole or Albon, see what they think.
Mmmm yeah I was worried about giardia. I'm surprised the vet didn't say anything to me about it. The kitten was on flagyl when I got him, though I don't think he had any diagnosis, the shelter just treats all new arrivals.

creamsicle478

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat had a negative fecal sample but a couple days later i saw worms in his poop (roundworms) so the tests can be negative sometimes since the shedding of the worm eggs are intermittent - and also even if he had worms (which I believe he did this whole time) I only saw the worms weeks after he had diarrhea.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't always show up in the poop where you can see them. Sometimes they throw them up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don't always show up in the poop where you can see them. Sometimes they throw them up.
Hmm he did throw up Friday night, but I didn't see any worms in it, just some bits of food and some hair