Identify my tabby

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We rescued Tommy when he was 3 months, he's now 6 months old. As he was rescued we know very little about his heritage, and i would like to know what kind of tabby he is! He has a marble looking coat but light coloured striped paws, a spotted belly, and a little white around his mouth. IMG_3128.png
He is full of character, he has a water obsession and is an avid climber (also need to work out how to stop him climbing the televisions and biting).
TIA :)

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d describe Tommy as a black-based (brown) classic tabby domestic shorthair. Gorgeous cat!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful! :redheartpump:

He appears to be a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. Spots on the belly are a normal part of the classic tabby pattern. It's great that you were able to rescue this little character :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's beautiful! :redheartpump:

He appears to be a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. Spots on the belly are a normal part of the classic tabby pattern. It's great that you were able to rescue this little character :)
Thankyou so much for your reply :lovecat:

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful and similar to one of newest kitties who I am wondering is a Savannah. You say yours loves water and climbing high? Well those are characteristics of Savannahs. Standard Savannahs are goldan and spotted and look like mini cheetahas. However, they can come in other coat patterns including the classic/marble tabby with spotted bellies which seems to be the most common coat for Savannahs other than the pure spotted coat.

Other characteristics include large ears, long toes, longer neck, poofy wider nose, and most distinguishing are hooded eyes which can come in blended colors.

They are also very flexible and can jump higher from the ground up than other cats. They are also lean and strong.

I'm still researching : )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is beautiful and similar to one of newest kitties who I am wondering is a Savannah. You say yours loves water and climbing high? Well those are characteristics of Savannahs. Standard Savannahs are goldan and spotted and look like mini cheetahas. However, they can come in other coat patterns including the classic/marble tabby with spotted bellies which seems to be the most common coat for Savannahs other than the pure spotted coat.

Other characteristics include large ears, long toes, longer neck, poofy wider nose, and most distinguishing are hooded eyes which can come in blended colors.

They are also very flexible and can jump higher from the ground up than other cats. They are also lean and strong.

I'm still researching : )
Yes he gets into the bath and walks around in the water 😂 He also drinks from the tap and gets into the sink/shower after use and sits in the water. I have wondered if he has some sort if wild cat in him due to his temperament! His eyes are a yellowy green. I have had several family members tell me he looks part bengal due to his long body, glistening coat and ears/nose, however I don't know much about them. I just googled savannah x tabby and I see some similarities in the ears and nose. Do they love biting? If so then Tommy may be one 😅

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah...lol... he likes water like that? He sounds just like a Savannah but I’m still investigating :)

Here is mine: Prince Jasper

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One doesn't usually end up with a Savannah (or even a mix) accidentally, lol. . .they're expensive! I suppose it's in the realm of possibility but not terribly likely. Every kitty has their own special personality :D.

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is very true!! Cats do have individual personalities apart from basic breed characteristics, like Maine Coons who don’t like water lol. And yes these hybrids and pure breeds are incredibly expensive!!! And yes all kitties are special in their own way regardless of genetic makeup

But it does happen. Someone may have an escaped one that mates with a feral or stray and some of those characteristics get passed on to some of kittens/ cats that end up in rescues. There may be a couple of generations and the characteristics get more diluted so one may eventually end up with a kitten who doesn’t overly look like the original but retains some personality characteristics.

Savannahs seem to have been a handful before more info was available so it’s possible that owners and backyard breeders lost control.

Who knows? At the end of the day we all love our kitties no matter what. But it is still fun to speculate:p

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding my rescue: I tried to find out more about where he came from. He was found alone at about 5-7 days old.

He has a LOT of physical and personality characteristics associated specifically with the Savannah.

I’m not saying he is. He is only about 11 weeks old.

I think we should invent a new breed all kitties can belong: The Cute Breed :D