Ideas on large litter box

seniorkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is getting older. I use extra large cat litter boxes for him and they have worked for him all his life so far. Now that he is older, he has a hard time with keeping his booty in the litter box when he goes #2. Peepees have still been great. He usually makes his poopoos in as well but maybe once or twice a week, he gets some out of the litter box. I was wondering if anyone knows of a litter tray that would work for him. I've been using doggy pads to catch the poos but my husband is starting to get extremely irritated. Currently the litter boxes he uses are about 18.5 inches long. Width and height don't seem to be an issue. Thank you guys!

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you transition him to a hooded litter tray and maybe just take the flap off if its not something he's keen on.
I use large open litter trays with the rims for my two and never had an issue has of yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seniorkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has both hooded and open trays. I think he needs like an overall longer or bigger one but I can't find any at my local store. He has 4 litter boxes to use and has had this issue in all 4 of them so I don't think a lid or not having a lid is an issue. I'm wondering if I should just take one of those super large plastic tubs and cut it. It would be easier if they made an extra big one though.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you find something that's basically a large square instead of rectangular? My litter boxes are plenty long enough but my big old guy tends to stand sideways with his butt hanging over the side. And yes, I've been using the pads under the litter box to catch the poop.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people DIY their own litter boxes out of storage containers like Rubbermaid. Just cut a hole in the side for the cat to enter and exit through. Here's one example:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Medium size cement mixing tub from Lowes or Home Depot. Big but not too big. Low sides but not too low. Sturdy. Smooth bottom and sides, rounded corners for easy scooping and clean-up....and SUPER CHEAP.
Look in the background of photo.

seniorkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you find something that's basically a large square instead of rectangular? My litter boxes are plenty long enough but my big old guy tends to stand sideways with his butt hanging over the side. And yes, I've been using the pads under the litter box to catch the poop.
Well I've noticed he goes straight and poos so its not off the side. I've been using pads to catch the poo as well :(

seniorkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Medium size cement mixing tub from Lowes or Home Depot. Big but not too big. Low sides but not too low. Sturdy. Smooth bottom and sides, rounded corners for easy scooping and clean-up....and SUPER CHEAP.
Look in the background of photo.
Oh my gosh. That size looks perfect from the picture!! I will look into it. Thank you!!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male cat always pooped in the corner and also liked to dig. I used a box similar to this that had a lower front to step in and had high sides. 18.5 inches isn’t that long...I wouldn’t think it would be hard to find something bigger. But I’m wondering if the high side is really what your kitty needs.

Nature's Miracle® High Sided Cat Litter Box | cat Litter Boxes | PetSmart

seniorkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes! I ended up getting the Natures Miracle high sided one as well as a cement mixing pan type! His bowel movements are a lot better now after probiotics as well! Thanks everyone

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use this one-

It is 24”L x 18”W x 10”H. Koshka was having the same problem with getting too close to the edge when she would poo. A high side prevents this, and this is low in the front for easy entry. She’s not a big cat, but likes a lot of room.

The reason I’ve not gone with a storage container, is that I like the high sheen of the commercial boxes, which helps prevent clumps sticking. I have taken the advice from someone here though, and spray some cooking oil in a clean box, before putting in fresh litter. Works like a charm.