Ideas on how to get a cat to slow down when eating?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie absolutely LOVES her dry food (Buffalo Blue Wilderness) and she inhales less than a quarter of a cup in nearly one bite! It's like she's rushing to finish her's so she can steal Monet's. Monet is a slow eater.

I don't feed them the dry that often.. a few times a week as a treat or when they're begging for seconds of wet, less than a quarter of a cup each. I'd love to feed Monet more to maintain his weight while Cassie loses some.

Separating them is hard because Cassie knows Monet has food and she'd hit herself on the door and I'm afraid she'd hurt herself. I've even pulled her away from Monet's bowl when she's finishes hers.. though she struggles and does not give up. I've even given her a few bits at a time, but she'd get annoyed at the control and wind up pushing Monet out of the way.

Monet is not protective over his food. He'd let Cassie push him out of the way.

I am actually getting tired of supervising her! I'd like to just leave some dry out for them to graze on here and there, but I know Cassie would eat it all up in seconds. The automatic feeder won't work since I won't be able to supervise.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Some people have had luck putting a golf ball or something similar into the food bowls - the cat has to slow down to eat around it.

Hopefully someone else has some good ones for you. I can't say this is something I've had to deal with with my guys.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This works well - they have to roll it around to get the treats to come out:

I sometimes throw some kibble in this before I go to bed because I feel bad that the cats won't be fed for another 8 hours. If I put kibble directly in a bowl, it will be gone in minutes.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another trick to try is using a large plate, elevated, so it's at head height (like on a foot stool). Without being able to put their head down, it's impossible to scoop - especially if on a plate. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Great ideas all! Thanks I will give the ball a shot first

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use the ball in the bowl trick. It works, but I started to worry about how to clean the balls well.

Now all my cats have Durapet Slow Feed bowls, size small, purchased through Amazon. They are stainless. They work great, especially for Lily, my scarf and barfer.

Robin

mariand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cats a measured amount twice a day.   I have to feed one in a different room but when he is done eating he yowls and puts up such a fuss the others leave there food and hide!
  • Carefully cut a couple of your cat's kibble sized holes in in a plastic gum container or similar plastic container. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, this thread is a year old, but I still appreciate the responses!!

Since then, I've migrated them to raw food.. and since it's such a small amount, I can easily separate them (Monet in the bedroom, Cassie in the living room).. they eat in peace.. though Cassie still eats fast! She had slowed down a little since learning Monet's in another room and she won't get his food, and vice versa.