Ideas For Oscar

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar is curious and I might even venture to say down right naughty... although I am pretty sure his getting into things isn’t out of spite just curiosity. He listens relatively well for a cat, so when we are home it’s not a big issue. However when we are not home it’s a problem. First a little background on Oscar. I adopted him fro the Humane Society in October. He is four years old and was surrendered due to a new baby. He is a gorgeous yellow declawed cat. I believe he was everyone’s “ dream cat”. As a result he got adopted nearly immediately and was brought back a week later because “ he didn’t get along with children “. He then was adopted again and was brought back the same day because he bit. As a result the humane society changed his profile drastically. They didn’t even put on his introduction tag that he is declawed, they added “I would do best as the only pet” and “I don’t get along with children and may bite.” Anyway I went to the humane society a couple of days after loosing a cat just to cuddle with some kitties. Oscar reminded me of a cat I had as a child, so I asked about him. I was told that he probably wouldn’t like to be held, but I insisted on trying. Oscar was purring in my arms in seconds. Hearing of his failed adoptions and realizing that they had more cats than they knew what to with at a kill shelter I realized without them saying it that Oscar may have been on the list to be euthanized. I decided to take him home. For the most part Oscar is a sweetheart. In fact he is currently asleep on my lap. He loves me and my husband but is a little Leary of strangers. The real issue is this cat gets into everything! I have thwarted every move, from child locking cupboards to putting his food bag in a storage container. When we are not home or at night, Oscar goes in our finished basement that we have made cat friendly. This has solved the issue of him terrorizing the house. However he still manages to crazy things... knocking pool balls off the pool table... opening cupboards that he has to stand on two hind legs to get to, then taking everything out... The truth is when he is by himself he is naughty, probably out of boredom. My natural response is get another cat to keep him company, but with his history at the humane society I don’t know if that’s the right plan. I have hung some cat toys from the ceiling for him to play with and always change around the other toys. He has two cat towers each looking out different windows for views of the backyard and the front yard. What am I missing? What are some unique ideas for way to curious/ bored cat? Ps sorry this is so long.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't be sorry for the long post,the more info you provide the better.

Put the pool table balls in the pockets. Ok,so far that's all I got.

In reality,eventually he will jack up everything he can and you will have kitty proofed everything he jacks up. THEN you will need to provide him with stuff to play with...it you hadn't already.lol

Also,the more you play with him the better. And you know as well as anyone here that cats are curious. Eventually he will figure everything out,as will you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The goofy thing is he doesn’t really like to play with us. He will bat at a toy for a minute or two with a look of boredom on his face, then climb up on a lap and go to sleep. The longest I have had him play is when he “helps” me knit. He will bat at the yarn or my hands for hours. It’s almost like he knows that might annoy me therefore it’s fun he also “helps” us with puzzles. He really is a hilarious cat. He does play with things like balls ( cat toy type and pool balls lol) and it’s evident that he plays with the toys I have hung for him to bat at when he is alone. I am thinking maybe he needs some puzzle type toys... most of them are food related however and he isn’t very food motivated. He eats when he is hungry, he doesn’t really care about cat treats or wet cat food. If he is hungry he will eat it otherwise he won’t. I have had cats my whole life. My family calls me the “ cat whisperer “ Cats who hate everyone love me... I even tamed a feral cat as a child who was so wild my parents thought he might have had rabies ( he didn’t) Anyway that’s probably the reason why Oscar took to me so quickly. He also loved my husband at first sight so he is 100% home... Anyway my point is I usually understand cats but this guy baffles me. By the way we started keeping pool balls upstairs because he managed to somehow get them out of the pockets too! No idea how! I should really set up a video camera. I think I might get him some toys that are not cat toys... Also I have started harness training him, So by the time Spring comes along he can go outside while I garden, I think that will help, we are also looking into cat enclosures I think outside might give him the stimulation he needs...