Ideas For Museum - Exhibition To Do - Any Museum-people Here??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While having a temporary job at my local museum, we had a brainstorming about future programs and exhibitions to do.

I got there and then some ideas in a flash, and got even some support. Ideas which I had after it developed some more.

But Im just a temporary hire, so the ideas got down into the idea bank, and will almost surely remain there. Sort of "round archive" no?

I do strongly feel these ideas and exhibitions are too good to just leave be. They dont demand any costly investments either.

They ARE mine ideas and my personal knowledge. This museum got its "first turn to shoot" and didnt used it. Thereby I feel free to spread the idea to other willing listeners whom are ready to make them.

If there is enough interest, I will either PM / mail the ideas, or possibly even write them here out in the open.

Please write here in the thread, or PM.

The original sheets are in swedish, so it will take some effort and time to rewrite it in english.

But a basic idea sheet goes fairly quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am interested. :hellocomputer:
Swell! Im taking the plunge and publishing the PM here in the open!

Exhibition-idea - Altruism – being helpful without expecting reward.

Behavior of animals, and behavior of people.

Its in part an example of modern social media. Youtube, Facebook.

There it is very common with clips about: animals helping other animals. Animals helping humans.
Humans helping animals. Humans helping humans.

Wild animals helping humans or helping other animals – sometimes even their natural enemies or natural prey, isn’t well known, and is mainly anecdotical. “no real proofs”. Some practical co-existence and cooperation is well known – for example the pilot-fishes, but actively helping out?

But these films do show its really fairly common! So the Nature and natural behavior isn’t as simple nor straightforward as it seems. They aren’t always competing or eating the weaker. Not seldom the do cooperate, or even help the weaker one.

Deeper research shows also, its fairly known in scientific literature too.

This is also an example of how a wide spread possibility to easily film and easily spread the films, makes such photographing common.

Some of these clips are visibly more or less arranged, others are afterwards semi-documentaries. With some variations. But many are very apparently the real thing filmed on site.

Humans. Humans helping animals. For example, cat rescuers.

Humans helping other humans. Compare with ARK Act of Random Kindness, and similar… Or the film of “Pay it forward”

Acts of great, often spontan kindness.

There are also medals and decorations for animals doing greet deeds. And for humans doing greet deeds of civilian curage, for example the Carnegie award.

Some animals did get the medals, in war or in peace. Others didn’t.

Some examples:

Scarlett, the cat momma whom rescued her 5 kittens from a fire, although becoming severly burned herself. (and David Gianelli the fireman, whom witnessed this scene and rushed them to rescuers)

Oscar, the hospital cat, whom helped the dying with their last passage.

Barney the Cemetary cat on Gurnsey, whom consoled and comforted mourners.

Ginny the dog, whom rescued hundreds of cats and kittens.

Honey the cat at the vet clinic in Höör Sweden, whom is a vet assistant comforting animals and their owners, till the county authority forbade her to be in the vet clinic.

Rademenes, the veterinary assistant healing animals in a veterinary clinic in Poland.

Dewey, the library cat in Iowa….

And so on, and so on…

Animals, whom if they were humans active in the Catholic church, would probably be proclaimed as saints before long…

Animals being friends with each other living in household, is of course well known. Where they don’t need to compete for food nor shelter, and have protection. In this situation they do afford to be friends even with their natural enemies. The biblical vision of Paradise is thus in a way fulfilled. But this aspect is just an aspect worth mentioning, but its NOT the focus of this exhibition-idea.

BUT it’s a promising example for the further fate of humanity, and perhaps a tip on solving some of the problems of the society…

IF you wish, its surely possible to put on religious, spiritual or philosophical aspects. But I expect most wont take this extra step, and will hold the whole stricktly neutral "professional".

© copyright, ideas and write up, by
StefanZ, Sweden

stefanzylbersteinATyahooPointse

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually took classes in curating and museum design many years ago. I'd have to dust off the memories but one thing I do remember is that modern day museum goers want some hands on a tivity or interaction. Playing videos, showing images and having facts boards are good. But if you want people to spend time you need something interactive.

It can be a simple as a chalk board people write how an animal helped them on. A low table with crayons and coloring pages based on animals from the exhibit. Something that makes them linger and engage.

You also don't want to force an angle on people. Present them with the information. Let them draw a conclusion. If you want them to draw a specific conclusion you select the information that will lead them there but don't push them too hard. You want them to think they came up with the idea so they feel more ownership of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent suggestions and remarks.

I had thought on some sort of a basic Forum (somewhat moderated), so it would be easy for people to write down their thoughts and experiences. Both on place and from home.
There also links and references for further reading.

Afterwards to make a booklet / book, in big part based on what people wrote.

Stations to do; say, a station how to feed an orphaned kitten... On a dummy of course. This will be all age - both child friendly, but also adults my try.

Preparadness for action: Adresses to shelters nearby, both for adoption and write up of volunteers.

Adresses to Red Cross, Doctors without boundariers (Medicins sans frontiere), Rescue groups and other helping groups. Preferably such whom needs volunteers.

Not asking for money donations, but of course, those whom wish donate money, will find where to.

And so on... :)

Some info on becoming a vegetarian.

(yes, that become my fate. Thinking and talking that much about animals, their wisedom, compassion and friendliness etc - made my thoughts to mature: I cant honestly talk and think so, and proceed to be a meat eater.... So I perhaps didnt swore no holy oaths to never ever eat any meat, but I myself dont buy animal meat any longer. And always choose vegetarian or possibly fish, if there is any choice).

I actually took classes in curating and museum design many years ago. I'd have to dust off the memories but one thing I do remember is that modern day museum goers want some hands on a tivity or interaction. Playing videos, showing images and having facts boards are good. But if you want people to spend time you need something interactive.

It can be a simple as a chalk board people write how an animal helped them on. A low table with crayons and coloring pages based on animals from the exhibit. Something that makes them linger and engage.

You also don't want to force an angle on people. Present them with the information. Let them draw a conclusion. If you want them to draw a specific conclusion you select the information that will lead them there but don't push them too hard. You want them to think they came up with the idea so they feel more ownership of it.