Ideas for Homemade cat toys and furniture?

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel that my cat is starting to get bored from all his toys, and so I really want to make new fun toys from him. It's always really fun playing with him and watching him play

I have always made his toys at home since we don't have many options in my country, but I'm out of ideas :( I can usually find him stuff to play with alone, but I can't seem to find enough ideas for interactive toys.

Also, I really want to make some cat furniture for him, and a scratching post. I made him one with sisal rope, but he doesn't seem to like it that much, and so he would still use the couches as a scratching post, which isn't nice

I would really appreciate any ideas

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Others will post better answers.  My cat had tons of toys I purchased over the years.  I thought he stopped playing them because I took him outside & it was more fun to chase furry things.  Sadly, toward the end of his life I found that crunching a small piece of paper & throwing it around or placing the paper  in a bag would entertain him for hours. You can get other toys on the internet.  Da Bird & Cat Dancer are  favorites  for my foster kittens.  Sorry, I don't know anything about homemade food.  My cat would not eat them.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a toy on YouTube. Save up the cardboard tubes from the center of toilet paper, and an empty kleenex box (the long, skinny kind, not the tall kind). When you have enough tubes, cut the top out of the kleenex box, and glue the tubes in it vertically. Then hide small toys and treats in some of the tubes for the cat to find and fish out.

Margret

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats love balled up pieces of paper.  They chase and chase the paper. 

As far as the cat scratcher, try using carpeting instead of sisal rope.  One of my cats hates the sisal scratchers, but loves the carpeted one.  My DH and DS built a small cat condo (we call it the apartment!) and it is completely covered in carpet scraps.  My one cat scratches it daily and also loves to play on it.  It has 3 levels, but is only 30" high or so. 

tabbicat2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a cardboard scratcher? All of my cats love those. As far as homemade toys, I've actually found they like those the best. My youngest goes crazy for candy wrappers... and I guess anything that makes a "crinkly" sound. Also, straws! For some reason they love playing with straws. We also have a great homemade toy given to us from the lady we adopted one of our cats from... it's basically a couple of pipe cleaners twisted together and it has a bell attached to it. That's another one of their favorites.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two play -mad cats, who really need interactive play.  And lots of furniture to help wear them out!  I started my blog to help out others who are searching for these ideas.  Although its for Australians (as we also don't get a lot of choice), I'm sure the ideas will help.  http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine adores foraging toys (anything wiyh food onvolved is automatically his favourite). The latest is a pinata I made by poking a few holes in an empty yougert container and hanging it off the door knob. Hours of entertainment until he reslized that he could just pull off the lid with his claws and get all the food at once...

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norhany1, I take cardboard boxes from stores, and sometimes I get the big flat ones they use between stacks ( like at those big warehouse type markets ( we have Cosco). Anyway I build hideouts and with the long flat one I fold it into a triangle and duct tape it , then I put it at the top of some stairs which my cats love to run down the inside ( or slide) . They love tunnels. I also use the small shoebox type ( alitlle bigger) and attach an old pair of suspenders to the front and they get in and I pull them around the house, at first they chase it , but after awhile they come running to jump in for a ride. I also roll heavy duty tin foil in my hand until it is very smooth and round , also I found some kids toy ( balls & jacks) it's called and the little balls are a huge hit as they can carry them around without swallowing them, think I paid about one dollar for them at the " dollar store". Rub some catnip on your scratchers and toys too.
They also love ribbon just be sure to tye a BIG knot on each end so they don't eat it. I drape them all over the place. The plastic rings on milk jugs are good too. Have fun!!!
Threecatnight