Ideas For A Memorial

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to come up with some creative ideas for a memorial for Mini who passed on a couple of weeks ago. The vet made a really nice plaster with her paw print and name that I am going to paint, but I was thinking of putting a flower by her grave. When my first cat died we planted daisies by his grave and now the whole field has daises. This was at my moms. I now have my own place and need something that won’t take over the yard since I live in the city. Thinking a rose or hydrangea or something similar. I live in Michigan so it needs to be cold weather tolerant. I will plant it in the Spring. Any ideas?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Those are great ideas! Any kind of shrub or small tree that you can cut back in the fall should do. When our last cat died, I wanted a pussy willow on his grave. My husband got the wrong kind of willow, but it's compact, is trimmed every fall, and reaches a maximum height of about four feet, so it's perfect. We have a small stone figure of a sleeping cat under it.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sun ? Or shade ?
A small hydrangea is on Mikey's spot, kind of under a crab apple. Coral bells (heuchura- sp. ?) are a great perennial, lots of neat leaf colors so they are gorgeous all the time. Don 't need alot of care either.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Sun ? Or shade ?
That was my first question as well. Since you're considering roses, does that mean you have a sunny spot?

Two plants that can do very well in Michigan are camellias and peonies, but you'd need to do a bit of research to find those that are cold tolerant. There are plenty of varieties that are so you'd have a good selection.

If Mimi's grave is in the shade, you might consider bleeding hearts. The flowers are beautiful and perfect for the purpose but the plants will die back in winter and leave the site bare. Peonies would do so as well but camellias are evergreen.

This is a lovely idea. I hope you'll let us know what you choose!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Partially sunny and shady. I would say it gets more sun than shade by a little bit but not much it’s pretty even. I am leaning towards hydrangea just because I love them. I planted one this past spring in my front yard and it is lovely. Mini’s grave is in our backyard. Since it’s partial sun and shade a hydrangea would probably work best. I have all winter to think about it though.