Ibuprofen Accident

Charlotte.c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three days ago my cat ate an ibuprofen pill and I rushed him to the vet. They were unable to get him to throw up even with the shot. They wanted to keep him for 3 days with fluid therapy but it would be thousands of dollars that I don’t have so I took him home with activated charcoal and a medication to line his tummy. Today he seems more like himself and is running around, being more alert, and even playing a bit. He’s not eating as much as usual but today is the first day he ate on his own without me having to directly place the food in his mouth. He seemed much better but a few hours ago he started cleaning and scratching himself more than usual. I know it varies cat to cat but are these mostly good signs? Is there a certain timeframe when you can feel out of the woods? He isn’t throwing up or having diarrhea and he is being cuddly and not hiding. I just don’t know when to feel like I don’t have to worry as much.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet's office, explain that I couldn't afford to bring my cat in for a visit, and express your concerns. It never hurts to try. Since you already visited them, maybe the vet will be sensitive to your situation.

IMHO, the grooming may be from not feeling up to it for a bit? When Elsie escaped our home and was gone for three weeks, I caught her in a skin and bones condition. She was also smelled like she was covered in urine. I think she just felt too bad to give herself a bath. She's always been very clean, and took care of this situation quickly. But again, that's just my uncountable opinion.

I hope your cat has a full recovery. It sounds like he's on the road. DH and I call our vet often in follow-up from an appointment.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ibuprofen in cats causes kidney failure. Watch for normal urine output. If kitty stops urinating or urinating very little then please take him to the vet as that is a sign of (acute) kidney failure. I would also feed him wet food to help keep him well hydrated and hopefully the toxins within his kidneys dilute.