IBD, recent vomiting episode and not eating

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I'm new here, but hoping to gain some perspective for my little beautiful girl Sadie. We adopted her from a shelter in 2017, and in 2019 discovered she had IBD as well as anemia (IMHA). We were able to stabilize her, and she's been on low dose prednisolone successfully for a while now 1mg.
Saturday, she got to a piece of plastic bag which reeked havoc on her digestive system. She spent an entire day vomiting, even after she got the piece of plastic up.
The ER vet did an x-ray and blood work; blood work was fine, and the x-ray showed inflammation and pockets of gas similar to colitis. They were only able to give her fluids and Cerenia injection Sunday, but our treating vet visited today and gave us a week's worth of IV fluids with B12, a depo shot, another Cerenia shot, and Mirtazapine.
She seems a little better, but still uninterested in food. I've been syringe feeding her today, as I don't want her to go to long without eating. She is keeping food down, I'm just worried how long it will be until she's interested in food again.
Has anyone had experience with episodes like this? I'm hopeful that the mirtazapine a depo shot will start to help her feel better and take down the IBD inflammation soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might take a couple of days. I keep lickable treat around for times like these, they seem to always take a couple of licks of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might take a couple of days. I keep lickable treat around for times like these, they seem to always take a couple of licks of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors.
Thank you! Yes, she did take a few licks of her lickable treats today and yesterday. This is my first go round with an actual IBD episode, so it's a little unsettling to say the least. I appreciate your response though, it makes me feel more grounded.
Here's our beautiful girl resting today.
IMG_20220314_084539753.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she is absolutely beautiful! Poor little girl! I pray she gets better soon, that she will get stronger every day.......

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So we've reverted to syringe feeding. After watching her on Monday, I decided that was long enough of no eating. Our vet was able to give us a bag of lactating ringers with B12 in it, and we're up to 200 kcal a day today. It honestly seems to be helping her, as she's gained some strength back and is purring and even groomed herself today. I'm not sure how long we're in for with the syringe feeding, but I'm hopeful it won't be long. She does lick Fortiflora off the top of some wet food I put down for her (leaves the food of course lol) and will lick some lickable cat treats. We're accepting all good thoughts and any prayers from people who are faithful.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh of course I will pray for sweet Sadie. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. May God bring both of you the strength to get through this. I pray nothing but the best for you both....

Cat herine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
So we've reverted to syringe feeding. After watching her on Monday, I decided that was long enough of no eating. Our vet was able to give us a bag of lactating ringers with B12 in it, and we're up to 200 kcal a day today. It honestly seems to be helping her, as she's gained some strength back and is purring and even groomed herself today. I'm not sure how long we're in for with the syringe feeding, but I'm hopeful it won't be long. She does lick Fortiflora off the top of some wet food I put down for her (leaves the food of course lol) and will lick some lickable cat treats. We're accepting all good thoughts and any prayers from people who are faithful.
All great news! Take the victories and try to build on them. You're doing great, friend.
Fionasmom posted a great resource. I have 2 rescues with IBD... the only thing that helped control it is a prescription probiotic from a vet at a SoCal veterinary college - Proviable DC. It is available without a prescription. Maybe as your vet about it?
(and Fortiflora is hard for most to resist lol)
Prayers for you both.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for all the thoughts and prayers!
We had to wake up extremely early this morning (work schedules :() and found she had come up on the bed to lay with us. When my hsb walked into the spare room where we watch TV and feed the cats, she followed him, and circled her dish. I thought this is too good to be true! But wouldn't you know it - I put food on her dish (with her Fortiflora of course lol) and she ate!!! Truth, I did cry mama tears.
I'm still going to watch her to ensure she's eating enough on her own, but this is a huge step. This also lets me know I did the right thing by syringe feeding, or we may not have even gotten to this stage. :thanks:

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another good web site is Feline IBD There's lots of good info there even if you don't feed a raw diet.
Thank you SOO much! I'm reading a few articles on there now, as I think Sadie still has some recovering to do. I attempted to forgo a day without the appetite stimulant, and she did not eat much at all. And while she is going to the bathroom again, we're back to all over the place... Some normal, some soft, some very loose - plus I can tell she is still very tired. While she's no longer hiding, she's not at the foot of the bed lately. :sniffle: I think he digestive tract is still off track, so I'm hopeful that I can find some things that will help restore her balance. I was giving her a B12 supplement prior to being sick (Zobaline) which seemed to help her. I just recently stopped the subQ fluids which had the B12, so I think I need to start her back on her other supplement. Hopefully I can find a good combo that will help her gut heal from all of this. I am so glad I found you all!!