IBD or? 6yo female spayed kitty with high creatinine, normal BUN and SDMA

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Capstar is a 24-hour flea treatment, meaning that it might kill fleas on her but if there are fleas/flea eggs in her environment, they will still get on her and cause the same problem all over again.

The black stool puddles sound like bleeding (ulcer?) somewhere in the digestive tract - the darker in color the more likely in the upper portion (stomach or intestines vs. the colon which would be redder/fresher looking in color). Is she at least pooping in larger amounts than she was?

When you said 'cerebra', you mean Cerenia, the anti-nausea med? When is she throwing up, and is it undigested, partially digested, or mostly digested (aka mainly liquid)? Is there any blood or mucous in the vomit? The standard recommended dosage, as far as I know, is about 0.5 mg per pound of body weight, that would be about 3mg. Although, I know some vets will prescribe up to 1 mg per pound of body weight. So, if you can, you should probably split what's left into at least 2 sections. Also, just so you know one of the RARER side effects of Cerenia can be blood in the urine - so, is there any chance you are seeing a combination of urine and stool?

Make sure you take a sample of her stool with you when you go to the vets, just in case she 'chooses' not to go while she is there. As far as I know, it can be bagged and refrigerated for about 12 hours if need be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Capstar is a 24-hour flea treatment, meaning that it might kill fleas on her but if there are fleas/flea eggs in her environment, they will still get on her and cause the same problem all over again.

The black stool puddles sound like bleeding (ulcer?) somewhere in the digestive tract - the darker in color the more likely in the upper portion (stomach or intestines vs. the colon which would be redder/fresher looking in color). Is she at least pooping in larger amounts than she was?

When you said 'cerebra', you mean Cerenia, the anti-nausea med? When is she throwing up, and is it undigested, partially digested, or mostly digested (aka mainly liquid)? Is there any blood or mucous in the vomit? The standard recommended dosage, as far as I know, is about 0.5 mg per pound of body weight, that would be about 3mg. Although, I know some vets will prescribe up to 1 mg per pound of body weight. So, if you can, you should probably split what's left into at least 2 sections. Also, just so you know one of the RARER side effects of Cerenia can be blood in the urine - so, is there any chance you are seeing a combination of urine and stool?

Make sure you take a sample of her stool with you when you go to the vets, just in case she 'chooses' not to go while she is there. As far as I know, it can be bagged and refrigerated for about 12 hours if need be.
Yes, there are no fleas in my bathroom, it’s where I brought her to recover from her flea allergy before all this started. Or there WERE no fleas in my bathroom before all these trips to the vet. I’ll swap all the fabric and give it a good mop just in case there are any hanging around.
she was pooping fine until the vet took her off the antibiotics and steroids. Then she stopped pooping - then they said give her lactulose - then it was the black runny stuff. No normal poops since Wednesday when they said no more steroids or antibiotics. Just maybe a few teaspoons of black runny stuff per day.
yes, cerenia- autocorrect on my phone got me! Lol!
this am it was undigested for about 2 hours after eating and then tan liquid. Nothingsince I gave her the cerenia thankfully! No blood or mucus - 2 weeks ago before the emergency vet trip there was blood though - it was pink liquid with bloody specks. No more of that since then however thankfully
oh gosh thanks for the dosage info - I’ll split the cerenia in half!
No chance - she urinates in one side of the box and poos in the other. Her urine is normal.
good idea - she’s only dropping a few dribbles a few times a day so I doubt she’ll poop for them. I’ll save and bag whatever she poops with time/date in the fridge and then just bring whatever was the most recent.
thanks very much for responding, I do appreciate it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really think until more can be researched, she should have stayed on the antibiotics and steroids, just a layperson's opinion. Btw, I don't recall how long she has been on steroids - or the dosage - but it is customary to wean them off rather than stop abruptly. I have no idea if or how this could be playing into it all but thought that I would mention it anyway.

Keep us posted, please!

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was just on them for a week. I agree and am hoping my regular vet will do better - I was reading abt the metronidazole + prednisolone for IBD and it’s supposed to be a lot longer than a week. I think they just freaked out about the creatinine # and knee-jerked. She’s eating and playing happily - cuddling and purring and acting like a happy kitty so I am hopeful the weekend will pass without incident and my regular vet will fix everything 🤞
I’ll keep on updating, hopefully with good news!!!

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's Miss Kitty getting some snuggles, just so you all can put a face on her. She's a darling. :)

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK - update! Went to see her regular vet. A voice of common sense. He says it's most likely IBD given her range of symptoms and medication response and food response, etc and sent me home with metronidazole and gave her an injection of depo-medrol. He recommends Hills Z/D food. He also says he's not ignoring the creatinine, but thinks it's probably due to her diet of chicken-only, and if it were her kidneys the other values would be high as well, etc, but we'll see over time. Nice to get out of a vet appointment under 150$ instead of 400$ or more.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, it's Friday now and she is still pooping little splats. Sometimes it looks a little more formed, but mostly splats. She's been on probiotics including the s. boulardii for 2 days. I'm switching her to Triumph beef-only formula thinking maybe it's the chicken. Not sure what else to try!!!
She's playing and happy and in good spirits, eating and drinking and sleeping, and all normal kitty things except cow-pie poops!!!