IBD? journey Continues

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After contacting animalbiome they replied and recommended waiting until Max has stabilized. I did send off the sample for testing and should have results in another week or 2.
We started budesonide last week. He had a bad reaction to the prednisalone. Now the vet doubled the dose this week. .5 to 1 ml 1 x daily. He seems mildly better but so tired. He vomited hairball one day and next day all his food. Today was a big mushy semi formed poo. But he's not worse. About same as pre budesonide.
I just checked his weight and he's lost another .4 -.6 lbs last month bringing him down 1 lb over 3 or 4 months
I'm wondering what other ibd kitty parents have experienced in a 3 month period?
My vet says when he dips another lb then we'll try chloabucil.

I'm looking for others experience in terms of time till budesonide began to make a noticeable longer lasting improvement? I know it's different for everyone just trying to have a comparison or hope.

I've done most of the ibdkitties website recommendations and incorporated advice I've gotten here. Thank you for listening to an exhausted kitty mom. This is so hard on him and that makes it hard for me. Not knowing is the worst

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! This is a description of it and how it works, for other readers and lurkers;
Budesonide has a high first-pass metabolism with minimal systemic absorption. It has to come in contact to work and be eliminated hepatically. Budesonide is safe in most cases but not effective if the inflammation is mostly in the lower GI
This website states it will take a few days;
Budesonide | VCA Animal Hospital

This link takes you to a list of threads where budesonide is mentioned - there might be something;
Search Results for Query: budesonide

Are you handfeeding him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm hand feeding him. Wow my heart just sank. It's been 9 days on the budesonide but 2 on the recommended dose. Do you think that's alot of weight loss? I do but all Dr's said it's common but it still feels like I could scream. I just want him better

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to admit Poppycat (not from ibd) lost more weight in a shorter period of time, (we got some of it back and him stabilized regarding weight) and I've read some sick kitties with ibd and other issues just can't seem to get the nutritional benefits from their food.

Common or not, it's scary and frustrating to us cat caretakers. Is there anything else he can eat that might have more calories?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I've tried everything. He's allergic to of all things rabbit duck venison plus 10 other things like wheat peas etc...But not chicken. So I make him the homemade chicken and liver diet recommended by the ibdkitty website.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have any thoughts please share!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Boar? Alligator?

This recipe won't necessarily do much for calories - a little, but what about trying baby food soup, which in his case would be chicken?

I like Beechnut since it doesn't have the cornstarch that Gerber has, and add some warm water to it. Poppycat didn't truly fall in love with it when the first time I added a 1/4 cup of warm water, that was too much water. Once I decreased the water, this has turned into his absolute most favorite thing on the face of the earth lol

It's in this article:
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suspect you have already had his B-12 checked (not part of the standard blood tests)? I've read, and been told, many IBD cats are B-12 deficient which will cause them to lose weight. B-12 enables better absorption of nutrients in the intestines.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes matter of fact his level was on the low end of normal but been giving shot 1x week. I was supposed to give on Wed and couldn't get more till today. Just gave him his shot before I saw this post . Hmmm maybe that's why he dropped another .2-.4 lbs over last 9 days! Fingers crossed this will help him