IBD in cats

petluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 year old cat who has had IBD for around 3 years and is on Prednisolone. Every time we try to taper down from 10 mg to 5 mg she has a flare up and starts throwing up and is unable to eat. The vet gave us anti nausea medicine which helped and she is now taking 5 mg. However, I am not sure if she can decrease the amount since she has not had a flare up. My vet has also been giving her Vitamin B12 shots which seem to be helping. She is borderline diabetic but we are keeping it under control with changing her food. Of course I worry about the side affects since she is getting older but I really am unsure what do.If anyone has had their cat on long term Prednisolone I would appreciate what affect it had on their cat.
Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another good web site with info

Some veterinary articles:

What are you feeding your cat (brand, variety)? Many IBD cats have super sensitive tummies and certain ingredients can trigger a flare up. Bland-ish LID type foods seem to help many. Some people choose to feed raw or home cooked diets.

Long term use of steroids such as pred can cause diabetes in cats. A low carb diet, what diabetic cats eat, may not be enough to keep the full disease from happening in an IBD cat.