IBD food choice

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my doc said lamb or bunny to try my IBD boy on next. No to chicken, duck, & turkey. So moving on. Constant diarrhea forever. I found this one brand by instinct:
And my daughter found this food at her pet shop that is very particular about what's on their shelves:
The Instinct one has reviews of IBD owners having positive response, the other none. And the 2nd has not just one animal protein but 2 types of fish too.
Any advice from those in the know?
Also! He has been on wet food for some time. As soon as he's not starving to death (hyperthyroidism, we're working on it), I will put him back on wet. But with him eating 12-14oz every day, thereis NO way I can feed him a quality 🐑 or 🐰 food that's wet. So this is hopefully not a permanent solution. I do intend to go back to wet asap.:)
Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Open farm lamb has fish as the second and third ingredient and chick peas
That's what bothered me.
I just looked. Rawz is outrageously expensive. At over $3.50 for a 5.5oz can.:( I can't afford that by a long shot. And am looking for dry at the moment. It would cost me over $320/mo at the moment to feed his monster appetite.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully one of the links I posted above has more ideas for you, plus his appetite should calm down eventually :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what bothered me.
I just looked. Rawz is outrageously expensive. At over $3.50 for a 5.5oz can.:( I can't afford that by a long shot. And am looking for dry at the moment. It would cost me over $320/mo at the moment to feed his monster appetite.
I was thinking about the canned. That is outrageous!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully one of the links I posted above has more ideas for you, plus his appetite should calm down eventually :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape:
I sure hope so!!! I'm going to read over those links when I head off to bed. Thanks!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
I've been trying to find the source again for my own purposes (Poppy has just been diagnosed H-T) but I thought I read somewhere that fish is bad for H-T?

Anyway, maybe check with your vet about the rabbit food?

By the way, in case you aren't familiar, this articles and two sites might be helpful;
Inflammatory Bowel Disease In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

Feline IBD
Finally got to reading. I've read abbot IBD over the years as I have 2 cats with it. One even moved on to scl GI. So I do know about it, sadly. But I appreciate the links. I reread them just to refreshfor the heck of it.
I've also tried both raw (he did not like this) and home baked chicken both with EZ Complete. After 2mo he longer wanted it and it didn't make a bit of difference. So I stopped him on that.
We're back on just turkey pate right now as that's what I feed some of the others. But I definitely wanted to try him on another protein. Even the vet said it was a good idea. So I think as pointed out earlier but another, with the Open Farm also having 2 types of fish in it; I'll go with the Instinct food. And I will get him back on wet food as soon as possible. But while he's still eating 14oz a day? I can't afford lamb or rabbit wet food at that rate. So was just looking for opinions on which was better.
Thank you everyone for your help & advice!💞

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just had a discussion with our vet about two hours ago about the novel protein diets for my girl who most likely has IBD. I brought up Instinct foods, because she currently eats the chicken and likes it, and he said the problem is that though it may say rabbit on the label, it also has pork therefore you're not getting a true test for food allergy. He has a prescription food for us to try. I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know what it is. It's going to take some time figuring this out, as I'm sure you are aware of. So I guess if she will eat the rabbit, that's what we will be on for the next six weeks and if not that, venison. I'm just not 100% convinced it's about the protein as the other crap that's in the food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are raw and home cooked diets out of the question? There are good commercially available freeze dried raw foods that IBD cats can do well on. My IBD cats the Vital Essentials freeze dried rabbit patties. It's all rabbit meat and rabbit organs with vitamins and minerals and herring oil. I originally fed him the frozen version but the goat milk in the frozen raw gave him bald spots.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm really open to all options but I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid the canned food the vet is offering has other junk in it. I'm also wondering if she really does have food allergies. She vomits up fish so that's out but she occassionally vomits up her food and it's mostly water, which makes me think she drinks a lot of water and then eats. She throws up maybe once every two weeks. Occasional diarrhea. Blood work came back good, but she doesn't eat much and is tiny. Energy levels are good and she seems happy. I tell ya what, I cooked her some chicken one night and gave it to her with a little plain broth and she ate it all down and kept it down.
I don't see why I can't cook for her and add vitamins.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you give home cooked a try then? You can post on the Raw and Home Cooked forum for more advice on that and what pre-mix to use.

All prescription food is basically junk IMO. You can disagree with the vet about food.

Have you tried digestive enzymes and pre/probiotics for your cat? Those are supposed to help IBD cats. I'm currently giving my IBD cat Optagest digestive enzymes. He was having soft poop for awhile so I figured I'd give the digestive enzymes a try. The vet also increased the pred dose but that was after a couple of days of Optagest and firm poop.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really open to all options but I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid the canned food the vet is offering has other junk in it. I'm also wondering if she really does have food allergies. She vomits up fish so that's out but she occassionally vomits up her food and it's mostly water, which makes me think she drinks a lot of water and then eats. She throws up maybe once every two weeks. Occasional diarrhea. Blood work came back good, but she doesn't eat much and is tiny. Energy levels are good and she seems happy. I tell ya what, I cooked her some chicken one night and gave it to her with a little plain broth and she ate it all down and kept it down.
I don't see why I can't cook for her and add vitamins.
If you don’t suspect food allergies and it sounds like she can have chicken, there are two routes I could recommend:

1. Home cooked chicken meat and broth plus EZ Complete. This is easiest. But EZ Complete has green lipped mussels and pork pancreas which may not agree with every cat. A lot of well meaning foods tank a good recipe with green lipped mussels. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿
EZComplete Premix Information

2. If EZ Complete doesn’t work for your cat, you can try home cooked with Alnutrin. But you will have to add liver. You can either add it fresh when you cook it. Or you can add freeze dried powder (get a spice or coffee grinder to make a powder out of freeze dried liver treats) at 1/3 the recommended amount. If the recipe calls for 45 grams fresh liver, use 15 grams of the freeze dried powder.

A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements