Ibd? Constipated Cat. After The Enema...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. :) I have yet to "man up" to tell the vet what I really think about wet food, though. I really don't like conflict especially with people in situations like this (like authority figures)... I tend to say "ok, yes", and then do what I want anyway, which is probably not a good thing! I also don't even get how I'd give her Miralax, Lactulose, etc. without putting it in wet food.

However, so far this vet I'm finding really more understanding and easier to work with than the last one we saw.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. :) I have yet to "man up" to tell the vet what I really think about wet food, though. I really don't like conflict especially with people in situations like this (like authority figures)... I tend to say "ok, yes", and then do what I want anyway, which is probably not a good thing! I also don't even get how I'd give her Miralax, Lactulose, etc. without putting it in wet food.

However, so far this vet I'm finding really more understanding and easier to work with than the last one we saw.
Yeah, I don't like creating problems either. But if the vets understanding, it might give you the incentive to say "yes, this vet will understand if I tell them that I'm not going to do that".
Just remember, your cat, your money, your rules. You know your cat better than anyone else, and you call the final shots. You don't need to cause conflict, but remember your your cats advocate.
We are raw feeders and have been before it was popular, and a few vets have given us a look about it. Since we have one cat on a non-raw diet (commercial, Fancy Feast classics mostly) we tell them we will continue doing what has worked for years, but if a problem arises (like it did with this one single cat) we are more than open to change. And we leave it at that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom - sure does :)

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - thanks for the encouragement :) You are right for sure. That's kind of what I was thinking when I approached him with the "what if constipation is her only issue, not IBD" conversation and he did say you know Amber better than I do. I was very happy with that. Good on you for telling them. I always thought I'd be afraid to tell a vet I was feeding raw for the lecture I'd get... in the end, Amber would not eat raw when we tried it, but I think over time, vets will become more accepting of it.

Amber's accepted her fiber food and is in fact preferring that out of her 1/2 and 1/2 mix. We'll be onto a 1/4:3/4 mix soon. Her appetite has improved overall. Her B12 is on pause while we do this trial. She had an A+ poop today and her weight sprung from 3.76kg to 3.86kg in the last week though its hard to tell if that's a real gain or just variation. We'll continue to see how she does! I feel this is going to lead us in a very bad or very good direction!