Ibd Cat On Prednisilone - Diarrhea Is Worse?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I've mentioned before how our 12-yr tabby Trin has IBD - we took him in to the vet for chronic diarrhea. Blood tests showed low B-12, high liver enzymes, and was negative for pancreatitis. An ultrasound didn't show anything abdnormal (no inflammation). We started giving him B-12 and switched to Instinct LID rabbit kibble (he so far won't eat wet food) and it seemed to help a lot. The vet said that it was probably IBD or lymphoma, and it was unlikely the B-12 would have helped lymphoma so quickly. We opted not to get an endoscopy, and instead treat for IBD.

On Sept 19, after he lost a little bit of weight and his liver enzymes were still elevated, we started liquid prednisolone (the pill was 5 mg, not sure what the volume of the liquid stuff is). Since then, it seemed like his diarrhea got worse. He's always been bad about the litter box (he will start his business inside, and then walk out leaving a trail). But now he has mostly liquid poop and he goes pretty far from the box (I assume out of discomfort). Both the vet and pharmacist said that they were surprised he has worse diarrhea since starting. He is taking the chicken flavor (which I was assured had no actual chicken in it) and the pharmacist said he would give me the tuna flavor to rule out if it is the flavoring. In the next week or two we will take him back to the vet for another checkup (his last visit was 9/1).

Has anyone else had this reaction to prednisolone? Not only am I sick of cleaning up the mess, but I also don't want Trin to have so much discomfort. He obviously is not having a fun time of it either.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the exact same scenario with my cat Kinks. She was on B12 injections I did at home, prednisolone, and I had metronidazole handy when she had loose stool as well as Cerenia if she was vomitting. See if your vet can give you Metro for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks jen jen , I was worried I was going crazy. I'll talk to the vet about metro!