IBD and possible lymphoma, my cat is crashing

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you are going through. It sounds very scary! But you are doing everything possible for him, quite literally. I am very glad you took him to ER. I was thinking the same things you were - it seemed to sudden and severe to be either a change in food or lymphoma. But I am not qualified to say. Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, there is some good news today.

I went to visit him at noon today and catch up with a DR. He looked a lot better today.

1. His fever broke over night and his temp is back to a normal 102.x.
2. He finally ate some food this morning. They told me when a cat has a fever, they will rarely eat at all.
3. The very concerning thing last night was that his white blood cell count was very low. Today it is back in the normal range and all other readings are 'heading in the right direction'

They are giving him a round of his meds via IV this afternoon and I'm going to bring him home this evening.

Had a great doctor today. She told me she doesn't believe this is a broad infection but something she tends to see roughly a week after a biopsy. Last Wednesday he had the endoscopy and they took snips of his GI tract. She is telling me that snipping samples of his gut can cause an inflammatory response and make his body think it needs to start fighting something off. Which on top of his already agitated IBD, well, it kind of wrecked him.

I'm hoping this is all true and it will all stay resolved so we can focus on the IBD going forward.

Now, I almost feel guilty of getting the procedure. For those reading this in the future be aware of this. The anesthesia and actual endoscopy to view the system were no problem, but taking snips out seems to have caused his system to go haywire a few days later.

I just hope he stays perked up at home. I'm to continue the prednisone to stabilize his stool habits and a 7day antibiotic to finish what they did to keep any infections away.

I was trying to prepare myself last night that I may lose him, but thankfully, I don't think that will be the case now with all of the turnaround on his vitals. It kind of made sense what they told me today.

I'll still update until I feel he is stable. Appreciate anyone who reads this. Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is really good news and what the new doc said makes sense and would explain why his poo turned to liquid practically overnight Please do not feel guilty! You were just trying to save his life! We are not vets, we can only trust their judgement. What she explained makes perfect sense, including the sudden fever spike and liquid poo. Poor little guy....and poor you! It sounds like he is almost out of the woods, though!

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking everyone. It means a lot. I don't have any close friends or family who have cats so they don't get it!

His last temperature check at the ER today was 100.7 with no fever reducers being used. Was real happy to hear that. The tech was telling me on Friday he laid in the back of his cage but today he was at the front meowing at everyone. They said it was night and day. Got him home and he walked around meowing a lot for about 20 minutes. I think he has almost lost his voice now, it's a little raspy. He settled down and finally drank some water and ate for me. Huge relief. He tried to have one stool movement since coming home but hasn't kept going back multiple times like he did the past couple days. The doctor said that the frequency should go down and get back to normal over the next few days with the prednisolone getting built up. She told me that I'm awesome to recognize his patterns but to try not to panic, (yeah, right, isn't that what most of us do? ha), as things will resolve.

Instead of going under the bed for once, I placed him on top and he is bread loafing there now. It's weird, on some aspects he looks better but he also still has that 'out of it look' right now and walks around slowly when he is up and about. I guess 36 hours in a busy hospital will do that. I need to keep in mind how much he has been through for his energy levels. I really hope he curls up a bit and passes out and sleeps for many hours over the next day.

Well, I'm armed with a few meds and will hope the improvements keep coming. I'll keep this updated. Also hoping the constant liquid meds he needs the next few days doesn't strain our relationship. Right now it's easy as he is too weak to oppose them. We'll figure it out though. We have to.

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things were OK for about 5 hours after coming home. Slept for a few hours after that and now he is going to the litter box every hour or two to try to go. Then going under the bed to bread-loaf. Hasn't ate in 6 hours and not interested again. Meows are weak and eyes half closed.

I don't know what to do. I can't afford constant hospitalization.... but I may have no choice. He is back to suffering today. :(

I'm starting to wonder if it is the food again. When I asked all the doctors and techs, they swear by it though. My other kitty has been eating it too and surprising that his stool did improve (but he doesn't have IBD). But I think my bengal is allergic to the soy, etc.

Can anyone recommed a better dry cat food that I can get at petco/petsmart in a pinch? I think I need to go against all Dr recommendations. I think it's this food.... Royal Canin has got to go I think.

Last edited:

Peaceandcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you still do not have definitive answers despite your tremendous efforts and care for him. I wish I had the expertise to weigh in on this. I do think this is more related to his intestinal biopsy rather than a food allergy, but again, that is just my layperson's guess. I know you have many things to consider, and not everyone has the resources for continued hospital care. This is a personal choice, but you clearly love him so much and surely he knows this. Do at least call them, though, and let them know about this change. Keep posting here, we are here....

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say it has to be dry? Will he only eat dry? Again, the pred does take a bit to work properly. You said you are “armed w/ a few meds.” Do you mind saying which?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is also probably still stressed out. Poor kitty has been through so much , along with you. It’s often hard to know if the meds need more time to work or if kitty is still just sort of disturbed by so much that transpired. I am so grateful to you for loving and caring for him but also that you took the time to post the details about the tests here. It may be crucial information for others who have a cat that must go through anything similar. The vet you used was very good to explain it all. I have had two that had extensive testing and no one ever mentioned that I should be aware of a possible reaction. I wish they had. I still would have gotten the samples taken but would have been more prepared for the exhaustion they exhibited. Thank you! Hoping the meds take hold, a food that works is found and things will start improving rapidly. :heartshape:

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say it has to be dry? Will he only eat dry? Again, the pred does take a bit to work properly. You said you are “armed w/ a few meds.” Do you mind saying which?
Didn't have to be dry but my kitty has been very weird and won't eat wet food. The most he does is take a few licks at gravy and walk away. A few times he may have ate a small bit of Fancy Feast split with my other cat. He might be do that but then again, not sure that is IBD friendly food :(

Sure, he is on the following things:
Liquid Prednisolone - They told me this is priority, once per day
Liquid Metronidazole - Compound into chicken flavor and made a little stronger so he gets less liquid (less to fight over I guess since it historically tastes bad)
Liquid Gabapentin - As needed basis if I see him bread-loafing in discomfort. Appears to be bubble gum flavored. I didn't get to this yet. I hear of cats foaming and spitting it back out.
Transdermal Mirtazpine - appetite stimulant once per day. I tried this the other day when all of this began and it didn't help.

He is also probably still stressed out. Poor kitty has been through so much , along with you. It’s often hard to know if the meds need more time to work or if kitty is still just sort of disturbed by so much that transpired. I am so grateful to you for loving and caring for him but also that you took the time to post the details about the tests here. It may be crucial information for others who have a cat that must go through anything similar. The vet you used was very good to explain it all. I have had two that had extensive testing and no one ever mentioned that I should be aware of a possible reaction. I wish they had. I still would have gotten the samples taken but would have been more prepared for the exhaustion they exhibited. Thank you! Hoping the meds take hold, a food that works is found and things will start improving rapidly. :heartshape:
Yeah, its strange. He was fine for 4 days after the biopsy. Things really declined a full week later! Posting here has been great as it serves as a little diary of things when you can't remember everything.

I panicked today. I took him back to the ER because I couldn't watch him sit around so lifeless and go to the litter box 50 times. His temp was back up to 105! I had the same Dr as yesterday and she said the temperature can wax and wane a bit with all of the inflammation going on. I'm going to have them keep an eye on him again and the internal medicine doctor who did the procedure will be in tomorrow to evaluate and I can speak with them too. She has been great and texted with staff on her days off about him. (also have a call with to my primary vet for more opinion)

They keep telling me he will be fine and this takes time. I just don't know what to do when he stops eating at home and lays around lifeless except for trips to the litter box. It's so upsetting. I guess that is my main question to both doctors tomorrow. How do I get past that part of it? How many days can he go without food/water before I need to take him in again? If he doesn't feel like eating, he won't eat no matter how you cook up the food when he gets like that.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry you both are going through this. Cats with fevers don’t eat and feel like crap. If he was my cat, I would give the Gabapentin. With IBD you need a novel protein source. Ask about Royal Canin venison or rabbit canned. Just try a can to see if he will eat it. It is important that he have canned because the dry can have fillers and additives they react to.

My cats won’t touch the HP diet. It looks like play do. Try the venison with your cat but do get the Royal Canin as over the counter foods often have chicken in them. I know you said he won’t eat the canned, but try. And when you give it to him, don’t have it in your head that he won’t eat it.

In a pinch, you could try som Gerbers First Foods Lamb baby food with the only ingredients being lamb, water, cornstarch, citric acid. You can put some on his lip for him to lick off and see if he likes it. This is just a temporary fix and he can’t always have it as it is not nutritionally balanced for cats.
But, remember he won’t eat with a fever.

It is best to give the metronidazole with some food.

I just remembered the liquid Gabapentin is horrible!! Ask for the capsules. I wouldn’t even try the liquid on a cat again. Think vomiting, salivating, gagging!! So stupid! Ask for capsules. They are tasteless and can be mixed into baby food and syringed with much more success.

Really, talk to your vet about Chlorambucil.

Ocean Planet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He can’t go days without eating. He shouldn’t go a day without eating. What is the dose of Prednisolone? The mg he is getting?

The prescription for the pred says 10mg/ml. Give .5 mil per day. I'm not sure if that is a high/medium/low dosage.

Ah, thanks for the tip on the gabapentin. That sounds like a good idea to put the powder in a syringe with baby food. i'll definitely ask.

I believe one the doctors said they'd like to wait to see what his stained-cell biopsy confirms before diving into the chlorambucil. I think that is what they said. I've been kind of a mess the past 5 days if I remember that correctly. Thanks again for the suggestions on meds and food.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Gerber is a great suggestion and is something I use a lot! The Fancy Feast Broths is mostly liquid and that is something my sick kitties tolerate well. The fluids help in many ways. Whatever they will take to hide meds is what I use. The Delectables are something I have seen that others use. Yes! The Gabapentin is horrible. One of my cats shared a drop with me. She swatted the syringe! Blah! Our vet tells me she has “unintentionally” sampled many animal meds in this way. I try to put the syringe sort of under the tongue or the back to the side, in the cheek but NOT on top front of the tongue or mid back of the throat. You want to avoid choking and bad taste.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are going through all of this with your boy. I'm pulling for him, and for you. Let's hope that the vets can figure it all out and get him feeling better soon. Hang in there and try to get some rest. Please know that you are doing everything you can for him. You're a great cat dad! :catlove:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That dose for Prednisolone for this problem is low. My cat started at 10 mg a day and was on it for months and months before I could reduce it. She is now at 5 mg every other day. She also gets the Chlorambucil once every three days. She gets Cerenia on the days she gets Chlorambucil.

The Chlorambucil isn’t just for lymphoma. It is also used, with Prednisolone for tough cases of IBD.