IBD and Pancreatitis Foods

TootsieT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my cat Tweety is being treated for IBD and suspected small cell lymphoma. We see Eastern and Western vets that work together.

Issue?! Her food Koha Rabbit canned wet food was out of stock for weeks and had to try something else. Freely Rabbit. Not nearly as good for her with peas and other additives. Koha came back in stock and it is not the same. She will not eat it. Color and texture are different.

ANY thoughts on what other options there are? I have already looked into:
Weruva, Lotus, Ziwipeak.

She cannot have chicken, fish and is supposed to avoid peas. I am stressing out looking into so many options. :( OH and it cannot be mixed so it has to be limited ingredient - ONE protein. Oy.

She eats canned wet food. Thanks so much for thoughts! :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried Rawz Rabbit Paté canned? Here are the ingredients:

Rabbit, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, Fenugreek Seeds, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dandelion Greens, Potassium Chloride, Salt,Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid

And, of course, there are the commercial raw foods like Northwest Naturals, Stella & Chewy, Vital Essentials, Primal—either freeze dried or frozen. My cats love these.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My IBD cat eats rabbit-based foods too, but her diet is not as limited as yours. It feels like we have tried every rabbit food available. Last time I checked the Koha canned rabbit, it was sky-high phosphorus content. If your cat is older, please watch out for the phosphorus content of the rabbit-based foods. You might want to try Stella & Chewy freeze-dried next, since it is more readily available online. My cat likes Stella’s. My cat was okay (but not enthusiastic) with Rawz rabbit, but yours might love it. If you search for canned rabbit on a retail site like Chewy.com, you will find the common ones. Has your cat ever had pork-based food? Pork will sometimes work for sensitive IBD cats. Many of the rabbit foods have been out of stock sporadically lately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TootsieT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried Rawz Rabbit Paté canned? Here are the ingredients:

Rabbit, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, Fenugreek Seeds, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dandelion Greens, Potassium Chloride, Salt,Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid

And, of course, there are the commercial raw foods like Northwest Naturals, Stella & Chewy, Vital Essentials, Primal—either freeze dried or frozen. My cats love these.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have not heard of this one and will look into it. It is all so overwhelming. :( She needs moderate fat/low, higher protein and lower carbs and so many restrictions. I am legit wondering if making it myself is better. I will look into this option - thanks SO MUCH!!

TootsieT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My IBD cat eats rabbit-based foods too, but her diet is not as limited as yours. It feels like we have tried every rabbit food available. Last time I checked the Koha canned rabbit, it was sky-high phosphorus content. If your cat is older, please watch out for the phosphorus content of the rabbit-based foods. You might want to try Stella & Chewy freeze-dried next, since it is more readily available online. My cat likes Stella’s. My cat was okay (but not enthusiastic) with Rawz rabbit, but yours might love it. If you search for canned rabbit on a retail site like Chewy.com, you will find the common ones. Has your cat ever had pork-based food? Pork will sometimes work for sensitive IBD cats. Many of the rabbit foods have been out of stock sporadically lately.
Thank you - yes I noticed that about rabbit being in and out of stock. I had no idea phorphorus was yet another important item to watch. She is 15 and has been drinking MUCH more since changing foods and getting on prednisalone. I could count before now I see her drink often. So trading one issue for another is not ideal. There just must be a rabbit canned food with decent levels of fat, carbs, protein and low phosphorus. I hope! I will ask about pork... not seen much out there though. She also does not like duck flavor so I am pretty limited. Thank you again!

TootsieT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to let you know I looked into the Koha. Maybe I got hugely blessed that she is turning her nose to it now. The Phosphorus is 3.98 in Dry Matter which is as you said, "sky high." I could easily have been creating (inadvertently of course) more health concerns for my little furry girl. All we want is the best for our babies...so I am super grateful you said something! I really wonder if that is why she has been so dang thirsty these last 10 months!! She rarely ever - evvvveerrrrr drank before. Now it is regular. Anyway thank you again!

linzy383

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only food that has worked with my IBD kitty who gets pancreatitis yearly has been Royal Canin Ultamino. I was very anti-dry food his whole life but this has worked well the last 3 or four years.