Iams Wet Food Recall

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...ned-cat-foods/

Proctor & Gamble announced a recall of all varieties of Iams ProActive Health canned Cat and Kitten Food in 3 oz and 5.5 oz cans, dated 09/2011 to 06/2012 on the bottom of the can:

Diagnostic testing indicated that the product may contain insufficient levels of thiamine (Vitamin B1), which is essential for cats. Cats that were fed these canned products as their only food are at greater risk for developing signs of thiamine deficiency.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting this - I picked up 2 cans the other day - have a print out of the recall and the two cans and will take it back to Petco for money back and pick up two other cans.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see this here. I just saw it on my Facebook page from the group I joined "Just Say No to Natura Pet Products Selling Out" ... So sorry for anyone that uses this brand.... I don't know what I'd do if Hi Tor Neo disappeared or changed hands....

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is one of the reasons I mix foods...if something is missing in one, another will compensate.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet I know what happened. Human error/laziness. It's happened with foods at the local plant before - someone forgot to add the vitamin premix and later claimed they hand added it.
To a very very large batch. DH tried to get the guy wrote up and the food pulled but the guy was a supervisor's favorite so the supervisor fudge the paper work.

I wouldn't worry that the whole line is bad. That they caught it means the person(s) who messed up got in trouble and they'll be looking for that now.

I wonder if P&G uses positive release on their products? They really should...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my two cans back to Petco and no problems. The cashier checked the dates and gave me the money back and I bought another large can of Wellness beef & chicken instead.

They asked to keep the printout of the recall, and I told them "sure, and you might want to get the manager to make copies for all the cash registers so everyone knows about it".

I didn't check to see if the manager had pulled the cases off the shelf yet, but hope they will.