I would like to know what breed my cat is.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Tommy. He is heavy bone structure, with a wide and big face. I think he may be part Maine coon?
0125191641.jpg
0125191641.jpg 1217191502.jpg 0416191825.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pardon me asking, what is with his left eye?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert on cat breeds by a long shot. But that looks like a tabby to me from the stripes and the forehead markings.

What's going on with his eye?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would be brown mackerel tabby domestic short hair, is he neutered? Most cats arent any particular breed really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pardon me asking, what is with his left eye?
We took him to the vet, they said he has feline leukemia. They said his eye will be that way for the rest of his life. So the best we can do is just wipe the stuff off his eye.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He would be brown mackerel tabby domestic short hair, is he neutered? Most cats arent any particular breed really.
No, he is not neutered. We found him as a stray. The vet said he has feline leukemia. So they won't neuter him.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took him to the vet, they said he has feline leukemia. They said his eye will be that way for the rest of his life. So the best we can do is just wipe the stuff off his eye. ( He was a stray that showed up, we took care of him ever since. He is an indoor cat with no other animals.)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeLV positive cats can be neutered. It's important to keep him indoors full time, so that he doesn't infect other cats. FeLV positive tom cats often spread the disease by fighting and mating. I would call around and see if you can find a vet that will do the neuter surgery.

Here are feline retrovirus management guidelines from the American Association of Feline Practitioners.

I would also describe him as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed. Chubby cheeks (stud jowls) are normal in male cats that have not been neutered. He's cute!

He reminds me of a tom cat named Pete that my family rescued off the street when I was a child. Pete started out as a feral tom, and was very happy after he became a neutered house cat.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeLV positive cats can be neutered. It's important to keep him indoors full time, so that he doesn't infect other cats. FeLV positive tom cats often spread the disease by fighting and mating. I would call around and see if you can find a vet that will do the neuter surgery.

Here are feline retrovirus management guidelines from the American Association of Feline Practitioners.
[/URL]

I would also describe him as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed. Chubby cheeks (stud jowls) are normal in male cats that have not been neutered. He's cute!

He reminds me of a tom cat named Pete that my family rescued off the street when I was a child. Pete started out as a feral tom, and was very happy after he became a neutered house cat.
Thanks for the information. We have been trying to find a vet that will neuter him. But every vet we gone too they will say they can't do it or they will tell us to put him down. Everybody kept telling me to put him down, but he is the sweetest baby I ever met. I will keep trying for him. And I'm happy you rescue Pete, I'm sure he is a very loving, happy, and cute cat.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information. We have been trying to find a vet that will neuter him. But every vet we gone too they will say they can't do it or they will tell us to put him down. Everybody kept telling me to put him down, but he is the sweetest baby I ever met. I will keep trying for him. And I'm happy you rescue Pete, I'm sure he is a very loving, happy, and cute cat.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Really?- because you thought Jeff had Main Coon in her and she looked quite a bit like this kitty. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He has feline leukemia, we found him as a stray. They said his eye will be like that for the rest of his life because of the leukemia.

He does need to be kept inside so he doesn't infect any other kitties. Please have him tested again because those tests have been known to be wrong. He is a beautiful cat. I love the big hefty tom cats. Why in the world would they tell you to put him down?- cats with feline leukemia can live long and happy lives and any vet should know that.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really?- because you thought Jeff had Main Coon in her and she looked quite a bit like this kitty. :)
Other than color, I'm not seeing a lot of similarity between them. Of course, I don't know as much about what Jeff looked like as you do.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than color, I'm not seeing a lot of similarity between them. Of course, I don't know as much about what Jeff looked like as you do.
The bone structure in their faces are different, but you might want to look again at the ten photos I sent you, that ought refresh your memory. Thanks lutece.

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does need to be kept inside so he doesn't infect any other kitties. Please have him tested again because those tests have been known to be wrong. He is a beautiful cat. I love the big hefty tom cats. Why in the world would they tell you to put him down?- cats with feline leukemia can live long and happy lives and any vet should know that.
Tommy is kept indoors, it's rare when he does go outside. The only time he is outside is when he is in his harness and I'm with him at all times. I not sure why they told me to put him down, I think they just wanted more money. I have found a different vet that is the best in the town, so I heard. He goes to that vet in a few days.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy is kept indoors, it's rare when he does go outside. The only time he is outside is when he is in his harness and I'm with him at all times. I not sure why they told me to put him down, I think they just wanted more money. I have found a different vet that is the best in the town, so I heard. He goes to that vet in a few days.
Please keep us posted. You and Tommy are a part of our family now. :)

Shoxchi1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took Tommy to the vet, they did the test, he does have feline leukemia. The vet said he is a very healthy kitty, even though he lived on the streets for most of his life. They said there is a vet in that town that will neuter him. But I will have to bring him in at least once a week, to make sure he is doing good. So, I made an appointment with that vet, he goes there in 3 days. The vet also said they want to see him in two weeks because there is a dent in his cheek. When he got loose one night, he came back home in the morning with a hole in his cheek. We made sure it didn't get infected and it healed really nicely. So he goes back to that vet in two weeks, to make sure everything is good. Tommy is healthy and he even made a kitten friend at the vet.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We took Tommy to the vet, they did the test, he does have feline leukemia. The vet said he is a very healthy kitty, even though he lived on the streets for most of his life. They said there is a vet in that town that will neuter him. But I will have to bring him in at least once a week, to make sure he is doing good. So, I made an appointment with that vet, he goes there in 3 days. The vet also said they want to see him in two weeks because there is a dent in his cheek. When he got loose one night, he came back home in the morning with a hole in his cheek. We made sure it didn't get infected and it healed really nicely. So he goes back to that vet in two weeks, to make sure everything is good. Tommy is healthy and he even made a kitten friend at the vet.

This all sounds very positive for your family and Tommy. Kitties with feline leukemia quite often lead long and happy lives these days. I don't want to lecture on top of such good news but please make him an indoor kitty. Letting him go outdoors not only poses a risk to his health but to other cats as well.