I would like to cook for my cat but dont know where to start

johnnyx93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As of right now i am primarily feeding my cats 4health All Life Stages Dry Cat Food Primarily with the ocassional friskies indoor wet food (not daily) 3 - 5 times weekly. Id like to incorporate some meat into their diet or any other healthy foods that i can cook up for them. i honestly dont know where to begin. I figure feeding them some cooked chicken shredded would be nice to add to diet but idk what else is good for cats or not, im not a fan of the negative health attributes of humans eating canned/proccessed foods on a regular basis and i figure its probably not good for cats either. im not into the idea of feeding any raw meats either. looking for some advice of where to start and what more i can do.

Thank you :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome!!

here are some different perspectives;

Feeding Turkey

Olive’s First Raw Chicken Wing

Boneless homecooked without premixes?

Can I feed raw chicken wings as a meal/treat occasionally?

Chicken Necks For Dental Health

Can you flip the ratio of wet to kibble a bit so they're getting more wet food? For example, Merrick Backcountry and Natural Balance have pouch foods.

Take a look at these, there are commercial foods that can be helpful for your purposes, I think, and also including Primal (my boy likes the thawed nuggets) and Rawz.

Build a Better Bowl | Primal Pet Foods

Natural Pet Food | Rawz

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain unsupplemented cooked meat is fine as treats or up to 10% of the current diet. To make it a complete diet on it's own, you need to add supplements. The easiest way to do this is to use a pre-mix such as EZComplete. The pre-mix contains all the essential vitamins and minerals. There are other brands of pre-mixes one can use but not all are for cooked meat. Take a look at the sticky threads at the top of the Raw and Home Cooked forum here on TCS: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Can you feed more of the canned Friskies and less of the dry? That would be healthier for your cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what has helped stopped my cats from throwing up is ground meat cooked with EZ. Since I am out of ground meat I sub farmina which is ground meat plus other proteins besides turket,chicken or meat. For 3 cats 4-5 oz plus scoop of EZ mix and water split 3x a day. Hope that's right. Just beware, it came a month after ordering and is 1 month past the experation date. Still think it's ok

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Alnutrin supplement, which is moderately easy, though it doesn't include liver, which EZ Complete has. (One of our cats seems to have difficulty with EZ, I think it's the mussels.) Alnutrin is also good for cooked meat. I sometimes use fresh liver, sometimes freeze-dried.