I witnessed a flying murder!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on the phone when I heard a loud bump and saw a small bird fly into the plate glass kitchen door. Of course, all the cats rushed over, and so did I, to see a baby thrush lying on the patio outside. The cats were going mad, trying to claw their way through the glass. I wasn't sure if it was dead, some birds fly into the windows and only stun themselves, so I watched a few minutes, and it slowly came to life. It was just sitting there, beginning to shake its head, and I was hoping it didn't have a broken wing or leg, when there was a terrible flurry of wings and a hawk (a kestrel, I think) swooped down, picked it up and was off into the trees. The cats of course, had another few moments of madness but of course, the entertainment was over and they calmed down. I can't stop thinking about that poor little bird, just beginning to fly and surviving one terrible accident, only to end as dinner for someone else. Nature can be horrible sometimes.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww that is sad to see
Unfortunately that's the way nature is - the sick and injured provide sustenance for the rest of the carnivores. The hawk has to eat...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awwww that is sad to see
Unfortunately that's the way nature is - the sick and injured provide sustenance for the rest of the carnivores. The hawk has to eat...
Maybe the hawk should eat grass!! The big jerk

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you weren't part of a Nature of Things episode. Poor birdy - hope he at least made a tasty snack!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't that sad Jenny I hate when peole say they have to eat, I had baby ducks mallards and the Hawks used to swope down and rip there little heads off I would be out there screaming bloody murder.
I actually borrowed a shot gun one time and was going to shoot them I had no idea it was against the law. I would be just sick, we had 5 acres and it was so hard to always watch them...You can only keep them penned up for so long.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Oh that poor little bird..That would just kill my day if I had seen that.
Sorry - just have to say it certainly killed the little birdy's day which wasn't going well to start with what with the crash and all.

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nature is hard to deal with sometimes. Poor birdie.

Last summer a robins nest was ambushed by crows on our back property. It was raining baby robins for about 10 minutes, as the crows kept dropping them . Niki, my female Border Collie, kept running to the babies and would pick them up so I'm running after her screaming "leave it!" while trying to pick the babies up as I went. Unfortunately there was no way to get to the nest to put them back and the parents were just freaking out. We took them to PAWS but sadly they had to euthanize them. I wasn't quite the same for a while after that fiasco.