I was stimulating my kitten and red (probably blood) came out, what could be the cause?

Darlingriver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this kitten a week ago, I think it’s about three weeks old and have been trying to get it back to its mother with no luck. It’s been eating, peeing, and pooping just fine and can even go by itself now though I have kept stimulating it because by the time it’s hungry again it’s still full of pee. Well this time I was stimulating it and red came out, at first I thought maybe it got hurt or I couldn’t stop my other cat (who thinks it’s tail is a toy) from swiping in time but there’s no wound and I tried again to make sure and again very little red came out. I can’t take it to the vet and I don’t have any one to give it to for help,
what can it be and what can I do? Should I stop stimulating it, is that the problem?
My other cat was raised by her mother so this is my first time raising without a mother cat and idk if this is “normal” because it’s acting totally fine, has plenty of energy, eats a lot, stays warm, sleeps, walks around fine, and loves crawling up my shirt so there’s no other signs I can see that somethings wrong.

Attachments

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could just be something similar to diaper rash. I am not a vet, but one kitten my family hand reared was just raw from all the toileting and we had to smear desitin on his bits. I have no clue if desitin is even safe for cats, but this was years ago. The fact that your kitten is acting normally is a good sign.
Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darlingriver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could just be something similar to diaper rash. I am not a vet, but one kitten my family hand reared was just raw from all the toileting and we had to smear desitin on his bits. I have no clue if desitin is even safe for cats, but this was years ago. The fact that your kitten is acting normally is a good sign.
Edit: Spelling
That’s what I was thinking, that maybe it was from the roughness of the paper towels or it was urine scald so I’ll probably just keep watch for now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a soft warm damp cloth instead of paper towels. You can apply A&D ointment or coconut oil or petroleum jelly to its bottom to soothe and protect. If it continues, it could be a UTI that would need antibiotics.

Can you post a picture of the kitten? Are you feeding kitten formula? What does the kitten weigh?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do what sarthur suggested. I would also take to dvm for look see because he was found outside and may have parasites and other issues which they can treat. What a cutie😻