I was rough when bringing her to vet yesterday. Been almost 24 hours she's still afraid of me :(

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So Rivel had to get something checked yesterday, i panicked when bringing her into the carrier, and had to pry her off her hiding place. She usually is mad maybe at most a day after vet, but now she's been upset longer than usual. I feel so bad. Do you think i broke her trust?

She came around last night, but this morning, i was just trying to brush like any other morning she thought i am gonna hurt her again and she is still hiding all day since then. She only want to eat if bring rue bowl under the sofa, avoid my eyes and hands too. I feel so shitty.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first moved with Lelia, I basically had to chase her around my apartment and finally dislodge her from the cat tree where she was holding on for dear life to get her into the carrier and I felt awful! It took her a while but she did eventually forgive me. Some cats take longer than others, especially if they're a bit skittish to begin with.

Give her time and let her come to you. Don't force anything. It'll be better on her terms.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you remember but I had something similar happen with Gracie not too long ago. I threw a pillow in her direction because she was making my bedroom door creak non-stop in the middle of the night. She hated me for a week. It was tough and I felt horrible but eventually Gracie forgave me. Rivel will do the same. The tough part is letting her decide when that will happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I first moved with Lelia, I basically had to chase her around my apartment and finally dislodge her from the cat tree where she was holding on for dear life to get her into the carrier and I felt awful! It took her a while but she did eventually forgive me. Some cats take longer than others, especially if they're a bit skittish to begin with.

Give her time and let her come to you. Don't force anything. It'll be better on her terms.
Not sure if you remember but I had something similar happen with Gracie not too long ago. I threw a pillow in her direction because she was making my bedroom door creak non-stop in the middle of the night. She hated me for a week. It was tough and I felt horrible but eventually Gracie forgave me. Rivel will do the same. The tough part is letting her decide when that will happen.
Thanks you guys. I will be patient, as for now i crawl under the sofa to give her food. She does come out to use the bathroom at least. My first worry is she soils herself because she wont use the box, or worse, not peeing at all. The first time she's brought home, she didnt pee until the second day, i was almost forcing her to ER so she can get her bladder expressed

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys. I will be patient, as for now i crawl under the sofa to give her food. She does come out to use the bathroom at least. My first worry is she soils herself because she wont use the box, or worse, not peeing at all. The first time she's brought home, she didnt pee until the second day, i was almost forcing her to ER so she can get her bladder expressed
You are a good Daddy. Maybe she is just messing with you to see how guilty she can make you. :lol: Like, "Let me see if Daddy will crawl under the couch to give me some food."

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The next time, grab her by the loose skin on the back of the neck, it instinctively quiets them. Have the carrier propped door up and lower her, supporting her rump down into the carrier, this is a much easier way to load them. An even easier way is to purchase a side loading carrier where the whole side lays down, the easiest yet! I got it on Amazon, it looks like a triangle. With the whole side laid down you just set the cat in it and quickly bring up the side, sometimes leaving your hand in it till the last few inches. There are also top loading carriers, I have one of them too, then you don't have to prop up a regular one, it is still much easier to lower the cat down into it then push them into a regular one.
Don't force her into acknowledging you, she is upset and mad right now. The best thing to do is to ignore her, but let her know you are around. Put her a bowl of water and her food at the end of where she is hiding, and maybe even a litter box close by. I put a litter box, food, water, and a blanket in the basement when we have all day company because I know that is where my cats will hide, often for a full day after company leaves. You can't force them into feeling comfortable again, it just takes time.....

Last edited:

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats are more sensitive than others and think they are being "abused" when they are not lol. My cat Ash is like this. She thinks she is abused when I brush her, cut her nails, walk to close to her, you name it. When Ash gets super mad at me I usually go near where she is and lie flat on back silent. Eventually she will come and investigate then I will pet her and talk quietly to her. Usually all is forgiven then!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well she came out and slept at the couch, still watching me intensely whenever i do something suspicious like a hawk.

You are a good Daddy. Maybe she is just messing with you to see how guilty she can make you. :lol: Like, "Let me see if Daddy will crawl under the couch to give me some food."
I laid on the floor reaching her so she would eat this morning 🤨 she ignores the bowl if i just leave it there. I have to talk and say sorry to her, slowly pat her in a space only around 5 to 6 inches wide. Only then she wanted to eat.

She came out at 4pm today, taking a big stretch then slept at her spot on the couch. I guess spending a day and a half under the couch is tiring.

The next time, grab her by the loose skin on the back of the neck, it instinctively quiets them. Have the carrier propped door up and lower her, supporting her rump down into the carrier, this is a much easier way to load them. An even easier way is to purchase a side loading carrier where the whole side lays down, the easiest yet!
I use a side carrier that i prop up vertically and just put there. God i didn't think of scruffing her, i would just try that next time. Would save me from this huge scratch.

IMG_20201120_155100.jpg

Some cats are more sensitive than others and think they are being "abused" when they are not lol. My cat Ash is like this. She thinks she is abused when I brush her, cut her nails, walk to close to her, you name it. When Ash gets super mad at me I usually go near where she is and lie flat on back silent. Eventually she will come and investigate then I will pet her and talk quietly to her. Usually all is forgiven then!
She's definitely skittish, and probably got abused while living in the street, dunno by other cats or mean humans. Even in good mood you still can easily startle her jusy by touching her especially on the lower back of her body without telegraphing you want to make contact. She is also very cautious with new people.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she came out and slept at the couch, still watching me intensely whenever i do something suspicious like a hawk.

I laid on the floor reaching her so she would eat this morning 🤨 she ignores the bowl if i just leave it there. I have to talk and say sorry to her, slowly pat her in a space only around 5 to 6 inches wide. Only then she wanted to eat.

She came out at 4pm today, taking a big stretch then slept at her spot on the couch. I guess spending a day and a half under the couch is tiring.

I use a side carrier that i prop up vertically and just put there. God i didn't think of scruffing her, i would just try that next time. Would save me from this huge scratch.

View attachment 359463

She's definitely skittish, and probably got abused while living in the street, dunno by other cats or mean humans. Even in good mood you still can easily startle her jusy by touching her especially on the lower back of her body without telegraphing you want to make contact. She is also very cautious with new people.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things! She is lucky to have you!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 359463

Holy crap! She got you good.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sting. those muscles ain't just for show haha. I swear she's stronger than late toddler human child.

It's just accident. I panicked, she panicked, stuff happens.