I Was At The Petco Today And... Royal Canin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was browsing the cat food aisle and a Royal Canin cat food representative approached me with small talk. She then asked me what kind of cats did I have. I said Ragdolls. She said, "oh, I have specific food formulated for your Ragdoll cats!" I stopped her in her tracks and stated cats are cats and that their food has too many fillers and carbs. I said it in a nice way but I still said it. Am I wrong? Did the Royal Canin company discover something we did not know before? that for specific cat breeds a special formula of food is needed? Do Persians need a type of food, do Siamese, do Mainecoons, do Russian Blues, do Scottish Folds, do Birmans etc...have different diets?

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From my understanding, their ragdoll food is larger kibble and more fish oil. Which makes sense for a ragdoll because they tend to be larger and fish oil is good for the coat. Neither of which are really reasons to call it breed specific, it's large breed long hair cat targeted. But since so many people out there *think* they have a ragdoll there is enough of a market to make "breed specific" food. It gives them a reason to up the price and get people interested in their food.

You are right that cats are cats, they aren't biologically different enough to make a significant impact on their dietary requirements. All cats would benefit from some fish oil added to their diet and some cats may prefer larger kibble.

The only breed I am aware of benefiting from specific kibble is a Persian. Mostly for kibble shape because of their flat faces and the mechanics of how they eat. All other cats pick up food and roll their tongue up to grab food, many Persians tongues roll down when gripping food. Meaning that the shape of the food can impact their ability to grab it. Persians can have problems with odd shaped kibble or too small kibble. So having a kibble made to be rolled specifically can be beneficial for them.They also tend to have more urinary problems and teeth problems. A kibble that is for urinary problems and shaped properly would be beneficial....or keep them on a high water content all wet diet without buying a specific Persian branded food, just saying. Although I am sure many Persian owners would love a Persian cat food dish and water bowl. Low and wide to give them easy access to food without whisker impaction.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
From my understanding, their ragdoll food is larger kibble and more fish oil. Which makes sense for a ragdoll because they tend to be larger and fish oil is good for the coat. Neither of which are really reasons to call it breed specific, it's large breed long hair cat targeted. But since so many people out there *think* they have a ragdoll there is enough of a market to make "breed specific" food. It gives them a reason to up the price and get people interested in their food.

You are right that cats are cats, they aren't biologically different enough to make a significant impact on their dietary requirements. All cats would benefit from some fish oil added to their diet and some cats may prefer larger kibble.

The only breed I am aware of benefiting from specific kibble is a Persian. Mostly for kibble shape because of their flat faces and the mechanics of how they eat. All other cats pick up food and roll their tongue up to grab food, many Persians tongues roll down when gripping food. Meaning that the shape of the food can impact their ability to grab it. Persians can have problems with odd shaped kibble or too small kibble. So having a kibble made to be rolled specifically can be beneficial for them.They also tend to have more urinary problems and teeth problems. A kibble that is for urinary problems and shaped properly would be beneficial....or keep them on a high water content all wet diet without buying a specific Persian branded food, just saying. Although I am sure many Persian owners would love a Persian cat food dish and water bowl. Low and wide to give them easy access to food without whisker impaction.
Isn’t it kind of funny though that they think rag doll cats need larger kibbles because they are bigger? I just watched my 9 pound lynx point take a raw chicken wing apart. :lol: And the fish oil thing... omega 3’s in the right amount of doses are good for all cats, short or long hair. Companies come up with anything to make a few dollars.

In the case of Persians.... I would just feed wet food. :dunno:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't know Persians used their tongue differently like that! That's kind of cool trivia to know.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you will check out the Royal canin site they explain why the different foods, for the different breads. I dont know if its all that real, but their explanations kind of make sense. Royal does not have the best ingredients, by looking, but they are supposed to be nutritional sound? :dunno: I know i do keep some in my pantry, when my guys go off their wet food the Royal canin gets them to eating again, they like it?? most of their foods contain carrageenan so i dont feed it often.

Persian, Maine Coon, Ragdoll, Siamese, American Shorthair, Bengal Cat Food | Royal Canin

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin used to have better ingredients (not great but better!) with fewer fillers, but they've made changes for the worse while still holding on to a reputation of being a higher quality food than they are.

Yes, they have reasons for why each food is designed for a specific breed, but when it comes down to it it's partially gimicks, and partially problems that would be better addressed by fredinng a higher quality food anyway!

I've met dozens of pet food reps. They're taught to ask you what kind of pet you have and say, oh, well we just happen to have a formula designed for that exact situation and here's why! That's why there are so many specialty diets for different breeds, ages, activity levels, and health issues. It's supposed to make the customer feel good that a food is custom made for their animal, but at the end of the day, good nutrition is good nutrition. (Unless there is a medical condition, like an allergy, which requires the absence of a certain ingredient). We don't tell short people they need a different diet from tall people!

Just feed a high quality canned or raw, and you'll take care of all of those "breed specific" issues that royal canin claims!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, i think some of the old "fillers" such as corn gluten, and wheat might not be as bad as some of the "new" ingredients in a lot of foods today, way to many peas, potatoes, fruits and other veggies. Just my opinion any way. I think there are a lot of good foods, and a lot of bad out there, in all different brands and price ranges. And yes i agree any Breed can eat a high quality canned or raw. But that does not necessarily mean there is nothing too the claims that Royal makes on their foods. :dunno: I do not have a pure bread cat, so i cant try their dry and say if it works any better than any other dry. Maybe someone who does, and feeds, or has feed, Royal will speak up? I know their foods have good reviews from users on chewy. I feed some in my rotation, and my cats seem to really like the flavors.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was browsing the cat food aisle and a Royal Canin cat food representative approached me with small talk. She then asked me what kind of cats did I have. I said Ragdolls. She said, "oh, I have specific food formulated for your Ragdoll cats!" I stopped her in her tracks and stated cats are cats and that their food has too many fillers and carbs. I said it in a nice way but I still said it. Am I wrong? Did the Royal Canin company discover something we did not know before? that for specific cat breeds a special formula of food is needed? Do Persians need a type of food, do Siamese, do Mainecoons, do Russian Blues, do Scottish Folds, do Birmans etc...have different diets?
No no they do not need special foods it's a marketing ploy

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
If you will check out the Royal canin site they explain why the different foods, for the different breads. I dont know if its all that real, but their explanations kind of make sense. Royal does not have the best ingredients, by looking, but they are supposed to be nutritional sound? :dunno: I know i do keep some in my pantry, when my guys go off their wet food the Royal canin gets them to eating again, they like it?? most of their foods contain carrageenan so i dont feed it often.

Persian, Maine Coon, Ragdoll, Siamese, American Shorthair, Bengal Cat Food | Royal Canin
Sorry but their explanations all sound like nonsense to me.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see some kibble would be easier for specific jaw shapes, and face types. Im sure they can eat any kibble, but some may be easier. I do think this is true, not a necessity but i can see that it could make a difference for some cats.

Different breads are also susceptible to different health issues. We know that targeted nutrition can help people with certain health risks, why not cats? Targeted nutrition is quite common in the human world, for health reasons, beauty, disease, weight loss. Im not saying everyone needs to feed this way, but i can see where there could be valid reasons to do so.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see some kibble would be easier for specific jaw shapes, and face types. Im sure they can eat any kibble, but some may be easier. I do think this is true, not a necessity but i can see that it could make a difference for some cats.

Different breads are also susceptible to different health issues. We know that targeted nutrition can help people with certain health risks, why not cats? Targeted nutrition is quite common in the human world, for health reasons, beauty, disease, weight loss. Im not saying everyone needs to feed this way, but i can see where there could be valid reasons to do so.
I don't know, health issues that require diet changes for cats are things like IBD, allergies, and kidney disease. Human diets to target medical issues are for the same kinds of things. None of these are dependent on genetic makeup to the extent that they can be predicted based on how a cat (or person) looks.

All of the hereditary diseases that purebred cats can be prone to (that are affected by diet at all) would be prevented most by a wet, high quality protein diet. Not Royal Canin dry food.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, health issues that require diet changes for cats are things like IBD, allergies, and kidney disease. Human diets to target medical issues are for the same kinds of things. None of these are dependent on genetic makeup to the extent that they can be predicted based on how a cat (or person) looks.

All of the hereditary diseases that purebred cats can be prone to (that are affected by diet at all) would be prevented most by a wet, high quality protein diet. Not Royal Canin dry food.
:yeah:

If anything... eating RC kibble probably contributes to things like kidney disease and diabetes.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all of this is up for debate, and i do love a good debate..lol. I can see both sides of the issue, but i also dont think its something we should just dismiss out of hand. Its possible that there are benefits to Targeted nutrition for cats, and different kibble shapes. I know that for my one cat if he eats large kibble he barfs, small kibble he does not. And others have said their cats have a definite preference for certain shaped kibble. Several people that have flat faced cats have talked about the difficulty they have eating some kibbles. Joint issues, heart issues, digestive issues, skin problems, other things like that that some breads have may be helped by additional specific nutrients, i dont know. I know people do take additional vitamins and supplements for things like this, in the hopes of feeling better, or preventing problems. There is a billion dollar vitamin supplement market out there.

Not trying to open up the wet vs dry debate...lol. I know we all have strong opinions there. :rolleyes: Just saying this may be a viable option for some, that do feed some dry food. I feed a lot of wet, but i also feed some dry, always have. It may be another option, or tool, in the feeding options out there, for some people, and some cats. I would really like to hear from some people that feed Royal for specific breads. I know people do, chewy has quite a few reviews. As does amazon. :dunno:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I just worry about consumers being mislead by companies like RC that make big claims that are unsubstantiated. At the end of the day, having a kibble a certain shape or size is not breed specific nutrition. In fact, it has no nutritional value besides perhaps being easier to chew for some cats.

Sorry, but I’m just not that trusting of pet food companies and there is no evidence that certain breeds have different nutritional needs.

And I don’t think this is just a wet-dry debate or matter of opinion. There are facts out there that point to dry kibble, especially brands like RC that are packed with carbs, being unhealthy for cats.

Last edited:

sdkfjlasdf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marketing tactics

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, i think some of the old "fillers" such as corn gluten, and wheat might not be as bad as some of the "new" ingredients in a lot of foods today, way to many peas, potatoes, fruits and other veggies.
While I agree that corn gluten and wheat vs peas and potatoes probably depends on the cat, my issue with RC (and Hills) is that their protein looks like mostly plant/grain based. Other brands seem to have the peas or potato protein slightly lower on the ingredient list, so I hope there is a higher percentage of meat protein.

It’s why I like brands like Rawz that is basically meat. The smaller companies also seem to have more transparency.