I was asked to be the Volunteer Coordinator for a Cat Show...

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HELP O_O I have no idea how to do this. I mean I can get the volunteers but I am really unsure about how to coordinate them....what sort of things need to be done at cat shows? What kind of benefits can be offered to volunteers at a cat show?

Really I'd just love to hear some 'behind the scenes' info on cat shows.
I know I can do this and I have plenty of time to plan but I'd like to do a good job. Knowing is half the battle right?

Thanks in advance guys!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd ask the club what "jobs" need the volunteers. A lot of clubs really need Ring Stewards (to clean cages) both days. Most times they contact Boy/Girl Scout troops for that and make a "donation" to the troop at the end. You would need 1 steward per ring per day.

You could also have volunteers to man the raffle table, the food concession (bringing lunch to the judges/clerks, and any other things they might need) or the gate (collecting spectator fees).

How did you get involved if you are not a club member?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask local 4-H clubs for ring stewards. Our club had a Cat Care project, and we all were ring stewards for a local show. (Our leader was an Aby breeder.) I don't think the club received a donation, but we were just happy to have free attendance. Our parents were allowed in free too. We each spent some time volunteering, and then we were allowed to walk around and see all the cats.

Make sure the kids receive explicit instructions beforehand though. (ie: you disinfect cages, you do not clean up if a cat has an accident) Most judges were really good with working with them, but a few didn't understand the concept that the kids had never done this before.

There also were a couple incidents with the owners...I recall one woman who had a little fit because I missed a spot. I had a good judge though, and she knocked the woman down a couple pegs for talking like that to a 9-year old.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not real familiar with putting on cat shows but I think the club needs to have a license from the cat registry to do so. Then it is the club members that coordinate the show.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Putting on my Show Manager hat on....

2 main areas where I would need volunteers and it really depends on the type of show you're holding:

1. Ring stewards - as GK says to clean the cages after every round of judging, 1 or 2 per ring per day - I really like to have 2 stewards actually, faster ring management. It's up to the ring clerk to manage the stewards which is really done before judging commences.

2. Registration, queue management and "other" activities - some shows have Junior Showmanship and/or Agility rings - these too will require general management to keep the shows moving along. Also perhaps the Ribbon coordinator if necessary.

Also, any additional events (raffles, adoption drive etc), helping with setting up and breaking down that sort of thing.

As a show manager, to me, the most important would be ring management, followed by everything else!

Oh and as for benefits....errrm it depends on what kind of resources the club has - we usually offer meals and a token sum. If using the scouts/guides/students we also send letters of recommendation.