I Want My Cat Back :(

tabbycat248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

Back in July, we had to surrender Moon. He was so sweet and loving, and full of fun. However, he was spraying on things, repeatedly peeing on carpets, and even attacking and humping our other cat. It got to be the point where our other cat, Max, was terrified of coming out from underneath the bed, and he was very nervous about anyone scratching his neck (Moon liked to chomp on him there and chew on him). We tried entertaining him, placing toys and scratching posts around the house, etc., but we have a small apartment and not a lot of funds.

So, heartbrokenly, my ma called the woman she knows at the shelter (no cages, they have rooms instead) and we surrendered him in the beginning of July. I cried half of the day.

Eventually, someone adopted him. I never had the opportunity to volunteer at the shelter, so I haven't seen him since July. I contacted the shelter via Facebook and asked if I could have the person's contact info so I could at least visit Moon. They said no, but would provide them with mine. I have not heard from the people- although, I tried contacting the shelter again, but they pretty much ignored me.

Obviously, months have passed. Every few weeks I think of him. I've seen a lot of other black cats and sworn they were Moon. I even saw an ad for a lost black cat with the description and picture of him, and desperately tried to contact the person who put up the ad, but they never replied.

I am truly concerned. I am eventually moving out of state. I want him back, but even in the unlikely event we do get him back, I fear the worst for Max.

Help?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you had to give up Moon, that sounds heartbreaking and such a tough decision. It sounds like he found a great home, though, and that’s wonderful.

How has Max been since Moon left? Has he become more confident and less afraid? As terrible as must feel giving up Moon, it sounds like the right choice for the family. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to stress out Max again.

Personally, I think you should celebrate that Moon was able to quickly get a new family, and love and dote on Max. You sound very caring, and that’s wonderful that you care so deeply for Moon. It sounds like you made the right decision for both of the kitties best interests.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetie, the sad truth is that once you surrender an animal, you very rarely ever see them again, and to get one back is just unheard of. Hold on to the fact that you did the very best you could for him, and that he WAS adopted and is in a home where he is loved, just as you love him. You DID act in his best interest, and in the best interest of your entire family. There is nothing else that matters, here. You will miss him always, but think of him happy in his new home.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The thing of it is, I, like you, constantly see photos of cats that look like my boy, sometimes with the only difference being eye color, but other times so close in similarities as to be his absolute, exact twin.

You never had, or gave yourself, the chance to let go, I think. You are grieving for him, and my heart is hoping that somehow you can find a way to walk this path in a forward direction. If you take Max with you, or not, maybe you can open your heart to him even more. Max is still there with you, and needs love.
:vibes: :hugs: :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbycat248

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

Thanks for all of your caring and loving comments. I already feel so very welcomed on this site and I may stick around :grouphug::thanks:

Karen Kat- Max is much more confident and back to his old self. He was always a tad introverted, but he wasn't always that retreated. This is something that was a huge plus when Moon left. He is now happily chasing his tail, sleeping (not under the bed!), and waking us up early wanting food, lol :lol: I suppose I do agree that both of them, from what I've heard from the shelter, are getting along a lot better than before.

Mamanyt1953- Very true. I will always have a place for him in my heart. I always feel sentimental when thinking of him, but I just wish I got to volunteer at the shelter or visit him at his new home. Maybe the new people aren't replying because they feel he's apart of their family. I think it's for the best- either way, I would want to scoop him up and run :sweat::running:

Furballsmom- I know, right? Ha, I just hope he's not lost, and that he really did get a good home. I am a bit concerned, and I really hope he's not out in the cold somewhere...:cold::bawling: I've been pouring my love into Max (and a fish, name Spock, lol) and I've noticed I can spend more time, love, and energy on them. I just hope that this is the right choice.

Thanks again for all of your kind words and advice. It truly helped. :hugs::touched::rock: