I Want Another One...

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats really are like potato chips. I find myself wanting a second one. I feel like Autumn gets lonely and bored and needs a friend.

I tried once before- it was a bad experience, mostly due to me. I was in a bad place, mentally, regarding my anxiety due to some stuff at work. It was during a heatwave and I had improper cooling methods. I just met a kitten I liked and thought I'd try it. I rushed it and gave up way too early.

At first, it was predictable aggressive behavior on my cat's part (she's just over a year old). I kept them separated and introduced briefly under very close supervision. The kitten was just around ten weeks old. By day four, my cat's aggression had turned to fear (I think because I used Sentry Stop That!, which was recommended and seemed to scare her more than anything).

I now have my work situation figured out and more appropriate cooling methods in the two halves of my home. There is a beautiful black long-hair male (the kitten had been female) that I have my eye on, around 2 or 3 IIRC, who is very sweet and loving towards me. I will be asking the shelter about his compatibility with other cats.

Basically, I need to know how to prepare /my/ cat and do this the right way this time. This is /all/ pie-in-the-sky, and I have not made any decision whatsoever. I merely would /like/ a second cat.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lots of people have more than one cat, and everyone gets alone fine. My family, and now myself, only ever had one cat at a time, so I don't have experience with introducing cats, but (usually) if done slowly and patiently the cats will at least tolerate each other, and if you're lucky become best buds.

I'm sure other members will reply with advice. Meanwhile, here are some TCS articles with more info.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Can you set up a gate in one of your doorways? Make sure the bars crisscross, no huge vertical spaces. It worked for my cats, because when they would play/punch each other through the bars, their paws just kinda bounced off it. I've also used a carrier, put one in it and let the other loose in the room.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a big step, and congrats for getting everything in order and doing some research ahead of time! I think it's great to get a second cat (or a third ;)), and I have heard amazing stories where the cats get along almost immediately. There are other stories (like mine) where it has finally started going right after 7 months (resident 7-yr old cat Gohan was intensely territorial and would chase new 3-yr old kitty Olive whenever she poked her head out). Also, I have only this one experience, but I have heard in general kittens are easier to introduce to adult cats than trying to introduce another adult cat. This is not to discourage you, just to let you know it could be a mini-marathon and not a sprint.

One thing that I wish I would have done, was have set mealtimes and have a wet food or nice hearty treat that I could use to feed next to each other. I highly recommend starting mealtimes if you currently free-feed. Also, in case of cat fights or chases have sometime that you can place between the cats so you aren't trying to break up claws and teeth with your skin. We saved a few large cardboard boxes and cut them into squares. It was instrumental in herding cats into other areas of the house.

Jackson Galaxy has a great resource on his website if you haven't seen it. It's a nice little video that will go nicely with the great links that rubysmama rubysmama provided.

The Do's and Don'ts of Introducing Cats

And the number one thing to remember before you go into this is stay calm, relax and enjoy the ride. Don't try to rush anything, let the most reluctant cat pick the pace. Remember to take care of yourself and give yourself any necessary breaks because it will help your sanity.

Congratulations in advance! I'm excited to see how it goes, and I hope to be jealous of how fabulously they get along! :cloud9:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something I keep asking people and everyone says it's fine- is 500 sq ft big enough for two? Each would have approximately half during the introduction process.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
It’s small but if you are able to organize the space it could work. If you can add a lot of vertical space it will do wonders. Cat shelves, trees etc. the best is if you can create a path around the whole apartment with multiple entrances and exits so they can stay up high. DIY cat shelves are pretty cheap and our cats use them all the time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes if you do vertical space, there is more space. I have 2 (?3?) cats that spend their days in my master bedroom. My bedroom is home base to my two boys. They have vertical space, a cat tree, fountain, a cave & a couple more hiding spots/beds... plus a bird watching window.
I would recommend one room or bathroom for the kitten and letting them smell each other for a couple of days or a week before they see each other. Just take it slow. You can crate your resident cat & let the kitten explore your place for an hour or crate your resident cat & let your kitten out, then release the resident cat in the bathroom/kitten room. So they can smell each other but again no physical contact with each other. Once both cats can look at each other calmly through a door crack (even better if they both can eat by the door calmly) they are ready for supervised visits.... preferably while every one is tired from play, well fed & calm.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Well he sounds pretty from the description. I look forward to pictures and funny stories!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got Soleil when Singa was 1.5 years old because I thought she needed a friend. Worst decision I could have made. Don't get me wrong - I love both unconditionally and wouldn't trade them for the world, but it was a selfish decision and not in Singa's interest. She fell into a depressed state for 2 years and never really turned back into the old Singa I knew. I think she would have preferred to be a solo cat to be honest. She has a bond to Soleil but the love comes more from Soleil to Singa than the other way around :)
I also noticed that my two need lots of space away from each other. We lived in apartments most of the time about 6 years ago we moved into what was probably the smallest so far with about 750 sq ft. After a while we noticed that Soleil was getting very stressed. She started to pull out her fur and the play fights where getting slightly more intense than before. So we moved again - for the cats. They now claim 900 sq ft house plus a garden as their territory and seem happier now.

Sorry - don't want to put a damper on your excitement but I hope it's worth hearing a different side as well. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, like the others said, lots of vertical spaces for them to climb, like cat trees and shelves. Oh, and like Danteshuman said, put one cat in the room with the gate and then switch, or put one in the carrier and then switch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the one I had my eye on got adopted today, so I'm happy for him.

I think I've just been talked out of a second one... Thanks anyways, though <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may find another one that speaks to your heart, and if so, this thread has a bunch of good info for you :heartshape:Every cat is different, and there are good ways to integrate them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Somethings you can do in the meanwhile, is try getting the music app Relax my Cat. Also look into shelves for her and cat trees (if you don't have them already) and also try some youtube streaming video for cats, --webcams of birds and squirrels.