I Voluntered To Hand Rear Two 3 Days Old Kittens Rejected By Their Momma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm trying to take pics, but she's like the reincarnation of The Flash!

I did kept my promise and took pics as soon as we were in the car in front of the vet :

DSC_0065.JPG DSC_0066.JPG

And this is last night in her play pen :

DSC_0067.JPG

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me or her? :lol:
I'm happy, and she seems happy too! She's even more energetic than before, and that girl can eat! I'm going to weight her, she was 500gr this time yesterday.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's one lucky kitty. The vet herself couldn't believe it when she saw Leyia going the right way. She told me that panleuk was a battle that she was losing 9 times out of 10. I just called them to let them know she gained another 46gr, they were so happy!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hyper:Fantastic !!! I think prior to 6 months old it's so difficult to take pictures of kittens ! You get phone ready and they have ran off !! Such a princess and so glad you had taken her in ! Others may have gotten given up on her x

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last three pics were taken with a "real" camera, the pics before that were taken with my smartphone. And yes, every time I want to take a pic, by the time I'm aiming, she's nowhere near where she was!

I wouldn't give up on any animal if there were still a chance. It's a promise I made to myself after learning lots about Kidney Diseases in cats. I thought I had to euthanize Kyran, on the advice of my ex-vet, after him being hospitalized for 3 days. When the shock wore off, I looked for info about CKD and AKD, and I now know that he still had a chance. His case was handled wrong, by me and my ex-vet.
Now, I read, research, learn about cats, and I found a vet that is willing to discuss differential diagnosis, theories, and I learn a lot from him too. I am ultimately responsible for the health of all cats that comes into my care, I feel it's my responsibility to be as informed as I can about what's going on with my cats.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was speaking to a work colleague whose cat caught something nasty (maggots was around it's bottom or something after running away). He said the vet wanted to put the cat asleep and he refused and after having treatment for constipation (i forgot what it's called but I had it when pregnant - involves fluids in horrible area) the cat was fine ! Scary

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a vet like that here.
Taking pictures never works well for me. The only time I can get decent ones are when they're asleep. Even with a Cannon Powershot, it doesn't focus fast enough. I keep trying though..and end up deleting most of them.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update on Friday, but my keyboard died! And Saturday morning, Leyia gave us a good fright. During the night, she had diarrhea, and vomited once. In the morning, she wouldn't eat much, got severe diarrhea and couldn't keep anything down. I weighted her and she had lost everything she gained and was back to 500 gr. Her temp was normal. I tried calling her vet, but they were closed, so I got her to my vet with the rescue's permission.

She got an injection for nausea, and a paste to soothe her stomach. She also got a Stronghold spot on, because I kept seeing her scratching her ears, and I wasn't sure if she was given worm meds.

She was still full of energy though, what a trooper! I got the same meds the vet gave her, and she's doing fantastic!!

Weight this morning was 567 gr! No vomiting, poop is still not the best, but she's eating a lot. I got her back on the same kibbles she had at the vet, and she likes them better than the ones I had. I couldn't transition her when she got back the first time because her vet was out of stock. My vet wasn't, and agreed that it would be best since she was doing good on them.

Here are some pics taken last Thursday :

DSC07812.JPG DSC07813.JPG DSC07816.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless her little heart! She is so precious!

So good you took immediate action. It sounds like she had a relapse. I hope she stays well now. I know that was scary!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She reminds me of gracie when she was tiny too! She just needs to get bigger and stronger now . Thank you so much for the update . As I said this is the thread I keep checking for updates on ! :vibes:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update time! Leyia was at 665 gr this morning! She is eating like crazy, then playing like crazy, and then she crashes and falls asleep wherever she may be at the time. She's a lot of fun! She meows and purrs, she hates her probiotic/prebiotic paste, and she can't decide if her favorite toy is the feather wand or her own tail...

She's not in isolation anymore, the main reason is boredom, and she's eating much more out of the playpen. She's doing good with the other cats, Shadow in particular. That was surprising to me since they are both females, and Shadow thinks of herself as the "Alpha" (Sparrow is actually the King of the Castle).

She's being really helpful around the house, too. Yesterday, she decided to be ... a kitty bookmark!

DSC07832.JPG

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh bless her ! She is beautiful ! Glad she is getting on with the others ! Do you think Shadow has sensed she has been unwell ?